Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is on Steam.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually don't mind the Magic Booster. I mean, it's something you don't have to use at all, but the option is there if you just want to quickly play and enjoy the story. I might actually use it if I play the PC version, but that's partially because I want to try getting some screenshots and such for something I will potentially work on in the future. It will save me some time.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I want to know about this chocobo world.

Honestly I've tried VIII several times but couldn't get into it. I may pick it up now that it's on steam though.

The controls are pretty wrecked. The 16 way analog movement is not present in the controls. Otherwise, replace the music files, and it's better than the PS1 release, by far.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Awesome.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

So I bought the game on steam and so far I'm not really that impressed with the character models, for a start, I thought their faces would look a bit better but they make me think that they look exactly the same as the PS1 models (been a few years since I played it so I might be seeing the PS1 version through rose tinted glasses) so obviously I am disappointed.

The chocobo mini game is a little dull to be honest, you spend a lot of time running around fighting random monsters (almost no interaction here just rapidly tapping the left and right arrow keys to get your attack in before the other guy) finding random treasures and so forth, story is a little thin and apparently (I only know this because I read a guide) that at level 20 (loads of grinding) you meet coco and she gives you a kiss and you fall in love... apparently there's more to it but that's the jist of it.

On the whole I find myself questioning the £10 price tag I spent on this game but there isn't anything I can do about that now.

Oh and here is the picture that made me think they had actually done some graphical updates on the game:

I don't know about you but when I saw that (well done square you sneaky bastards) I thought that had actually went ahead and given us a true HD FFVIII. I don't recall EVER seeing that particular shot of Zell in an FMV.

You will also notice the cleaver wording they have on the website advertising:

Optimized for PC
    Fully Enhanced for modern HD PC's

I foolishly thought (along with that picture in the email I got) that the game had been remade. All I need now is for Mr T to come in and tell me he pities me.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That's in the Dollet escape, when Zell is calling Squall to jump into the vessel. Sorry you feel a little duped

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Idk it seems about the same as the steam release for FFVII. Prettier looking than on the PS1 but not totally redone or anything. Worth it to me because my PS1 discs stutter and freeze on the FMVs, and I've been assimilating as much of my gaming library as I can onto my PC.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    That's in the Dollet escape, when Zell is calling Squall to jump into the vessel. Sorry you feel a little duped
    Ah no wonder I've never seen it, I always kill the mech spider thing for its huge AP reward.

Blog Entries

At first I was all excited for this because of Chocobo World, but then I found out that the game is held under strict DRM.
    Can't even start the game unless you have an SE account
    and can't PLAY it offline.
    Nope. Not getting it.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm probably gonna end up buying both this and VII next time they're on awesome sales. My PC copies are, uh, not entirely stable (or legal) but disc scratches make the PS1 versions unplayable. Been hankering for a throwback to VIII lately, I'm actually a huge fan of it

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    FINAL FANTASY VIII on Steam

It costs £9.99/€12.99 /$11.99, and includes a couple of bonuses and new features such as the Chocobo World minigame which hasn't yet been seen outside of Japan.

[Source: Final Fantasy 8 is now on Steam • News • PC • Eurogamer.net ]
    False! Chocobo world was included with the original PC release of FF8 over 10 years ago :3
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I'm probably gonna end up buying both this and VII next time they're on awesome sales. My PC copies are, uh, not entirely stable (or legal) but disc scratches make the PS1 versions unplayable. Been hankering for a throwback to VIII lately, I'm actually a huge fan of it
    Damn, you just missed FFVII for $3 the other day on a Steam sale!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

Yay! I probably wont buy the steam version mainly because there aren't many improvements from what i can see by reading all of this ^^^ Plus, my ps1 discs still work perfectly so i can still play it at any time i choose ^.^ But still I'm happy to see that this game hasn't been forgotten about c:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

This is a pretty half arsed refresh to be honest, other then them sorting out the dialogue boxes and about 50% of the character models (just have a look at some of the NPCs in the classroom scene near the start for an example), everything else is the old PC version (480p background and FMVS and all...), including the audio glitches during FMVs have survived...

Not exactly impressed, luckily I got it in the Stream Sale, but if I'd paid full price (and for some reason you have to log in using your SE account?) I'd have been pretty disappointed.
    FOA

This is awesome, even though I have the discs still. I know a lot of people are hoping IX comes out on steam soon....Im actually crossing my fingers for 1-6 personally.
    :mog: Have Complete: I,II,VII,VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII,Tactics :mog:

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy VI & Final Fantasy Crisis Core