Thread: Surprise! Final Fantasy art! (starting with ancient comic that never happened)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Surprise! Final Fantasy art! (starting with ancient comic that never happened)

Oh man, I found something OLD on my old thumb drive! Something ANCIENT!
    So, way back in August 2007, LONG before Zero Effort was fully conceived, I suddenly thought "hey-- I want to write a retelling of Final Fantasy 1, except with the black magic shopkeeper as main character". That actually didn't work out, as I did the first three pages, skipped to a later page, then decided "You know what, I'd rather work on something original.

So THAT never happened...
    but I have some stuff from those days still intact!
    ffplus-page002.pngffplus-page003.png
    ffplus-page-unknown.png

While this is all I have, I remember what the story was supposed to be; I wanted it to be a retelling of FF1 with familiar names.
    Four heros, Doga the Thief, Unne the Red Mage (wearing purple), Xande the blue-skinned Fighter, and a black mage named Noah (in red), venture to Cornelia where a black magic shopkeeper named Melon (or Meron, I never decided) is holding up his business quite well.
    While there, Unne, being a really ditzy and stupidly destructive character like Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo, goes to the black magic shop on her own and winds up destroying Meron's shop by accident. Noah finds her, grabs her, and collects the other two before they high-tail it out of there, not knowing that Meron is hot on their tails.
    They get to Garland's castle where they intend on rescuing the Princess Sarah of Cornelia, and Meron gets involved. His full intention is to get them back for destroying his business, but he ends up helping them in the end.
    Noah is killed during their fight with Garland, and Meron is forced to take his place as an illegitimate Hero of Light... and it just goes on from there.

There was going to be some involvement between Meron and Princess Sarah's little sister, who I had donned the name 'Echo', and suited her with an appearance similar to Eiko Carol's.
    ffplus-echo.png

In the end, Meron was supposed to 'die'. Because he is, after all, an illegitimate 'Hero of Light'.

While the story of this Final Fantasy 1 retelling was scrapped, I still use the character of Meron/Melon/Meln, and he actually plays an important part in my current webcomic later on as a 'Naeg'.
    meln concept art.png
    (concept art for the guy)

I also have my noseless, zany freak moogle named Kure, who will forever be a mascot to me...
    Freak_Moogle__Final_Boss_by_lunatic_pandora_Z.png
    (A meme I did for him. Too big of a file for eoff)
    But that's it with the old stuff.
    I haven't actually drawn anything Final Fantasy-related in a looong time. Maybe I should... eventually.
    Last edited by Black Magic Shopkeeper; 12-05-2013 at 10:39 PM.