Thread: At a number from 1 - 10

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default At a number from 1 - 10

With 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest

How would you rate this game? Would your recommend it? Why and why not? I never played the game so I'm genuinely curious if it's worth checking out or something to skip.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

A 4. Not because it does anything wrong but it's just very forgettable to me, personally. Mention any other Final Fantasy and I have an immediate thought or opinion. Mention III and I actually have to place it in my head. It was fun enough. Not boring, but not super exciting. Just kind of... okay.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

NES version: 9/10. Best RPG you'll find on the NES, possibly best game on the system period. The way it pushed the NES to its limits was amazing and it's a shame this version never made it overseas. If you can find the translated ROM somewhere, play it on an emulator, it's definately worth it. Though, of course, beware of the difficulty.

DS remake: 8.5/10. While I like the new, individual characters instead of simply four Onion Knight clones, I have to admit that the DS remake lost some of the charm the NES version had. The jobs have of course been rebalanced and made more unique, the gameplay has been polished and the difficulty is mostly the same. It's in 3D and a lot of dungeons benefit from the overhaul, looking very nice (Crystal Tower especially). It's a solid remake all around. But it lacks the nostalgic charm of the 8-bit version, is all. If you can't stand NES games, then go for this one.

In all fairness, though, I'd recommend a playthrough through both versions, as each is unique and different enough from the other to warrant it. You can decide for yourself then which version you like more. In any case, III is definately one of my favouriets in the series, competing with IX for the number one spot. Definately not one to be missed out.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I would go with 6 for the original and 8 for the remake. Considering that on my scale there are only a dozen games that make 9, so 8 is pretty damn good.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

It's pretty low on the list of my Final Fantasy picks, but even then it's still Final Fantasy, and you can't get too bad with that. Maybe I'm just bias. High 6 to low 7.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    NES version: 9/10. Best RPG you'll find on the NES, possibly best game on the system period. The way it pushed the NES to its limits was amazing and it's a shame this version never made it overseas. If you can find the translated ROM somewhere, play it on an emulator, it's definately worth it. Though, of course, beware of the difficulty.

DS remake: 8.5/10. While I like the new, individual characters instead of simply four Onion Knight clones, I have to admit that the DS remake lost some of the charm the NES version had. The jobs have of course been rebalanced and made more unique, the gameplay has been polished and the difficulty is mostly the same. It's in 3D and a lot of dungeons benefit from the overhaul, looking very nice (Crystal Tower especially). It's a solid remake all around. But it lacks the nostalgic charm of the 8-bit version, is all. If you can't stand NES games, then go for this one.

In all fairness, though, I'd recommend a playthrough through both versions, as each is unique and different enough from the other to warrant it. You can decide for yourself then which version you like more. In any case, III is definately one of my favouriets in the series, competing with IX for the number one spot. Definately not one to be missed out.
    Sounds cool. My only beef with emulating NES games is that the keyboard will never beat the feel of the NES controller.

Contributions

Well, the NES controller wasn't all that much to write home about anyways. If you emulate you can use a more modern controller, which IMO increases the enjoyability of playing older games. But for games where fine control isn't necessary I find mapping it to a keyboard isn't to bad.

5/ 10

It lacks storyline and character development due to it's old age, but the music and class system is pretty neat.

Just buy a controller for pc...you never have to use a keyboard for an emulator. You can pick one up for 10/15 bucks, and your set. That's pretty cheap considering the hundred of hundreds of games you can play on emulators for free.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    Just buy a controller for pc...you never have to use a keyboard for an emulator. You can pick one up for 10/15 bucks, and your set. That's pretty cheap considering the hundred of hundreds of games you can play on emulators for free.
    Does it have to be a specific controller? Because of all the times I've been to K-Mart, Walmart or Target out here I never seen a controller for the PC.

Contributions

You should be able to map just about any controller to a decent emulator. Personally I use my PS3 controller on my computer. (It doesn't work plug and play, you have to look up how to install it.) I am reasonably certain a 360 controller works as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That saves me some time. I'll have to look it up the next time I get around to playing an emulator. There are some games on my request list I needed to emulate so that will be my practice round.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Does it have to be a specific controller? Because of all the times I've been to K-Mart, Walmart or Target out here I never seen a controller for the PC.
    I use my PS3 controller, I could also use my 360 controller as I have the wireless pc receiver, but I prefer the PS3 controller tbh.

Blog Entries

For its time, 9.
    back in 1990, FF3 was seen by me as innovative and hardcore.

thenagainfinalfantasylegendakasagawasmyfirstrpgeversoofcourseidfeellikethat