Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recycled story?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, I wasn't really talking about the crystals as much as important elements of the earth required for basic living being taken away to threaten the earth.

Not complaining either, just something that stuck out to me more for that reason.

FF5's story focusing on crystals?

Well, there was a convention in the first 6 FF games that the even numbered entries would be more story-based, and the odd numbered entries would be more system-based, with less characterization given to the main cast. 1, 3, and 5 are all like this, with the Job System, and 2, 4, and 6 are much more plot-driven, with simplified systems (if you could call 2 "simple," I guess).

They kind of broke the mold with FF7, and every game after that has been plot-based, to my knowledge, except for the online games.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Considering how the first third of the story is, yes.

It even introduces the antagonist.

Also, mentioning the crystals here was more like "featured crystals" not "focussed on crystals" in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Considering how the first third of the story is, yes.

It even introduces the antagonist.
    It wasn't my intention to call that into question...

Then what was that question about?

Read my post again, please. I edited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Then what was that question about?
    Just thinking out loud, sorry.

Final Fantasy V has the crystals to the forefront because the actual character arcs are intended to be taken somewhat more lightly than the even-numbered entries, though you can already see that the influence of FF4 has added at least coherrent identities into the mix.

I thought it was because FF 2 ( Japanese FF 2 ) was sort of disappointing and FF 3 worked so they made FF 5 like FF 1 and FF 3 to see what works, the crystal formula or the FF 2/ FF 4 style.

Games back then were like Mario were the same hero saved the same Princess each time, and weren't really like sort of different due to graphic limitations, it wasn't till the PlayStation era were sequels started to get more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Games back then were like Mario were the same hero saved the same Princess each time, and weren't really like sort of different due to graphic limitations, it wasn't till the PlayStation era were sequels started to get more creative.
    Actually, the FF series has always made saving the princess to be an ancillary thing. Even as far back as FF1, saving the Princess is how you start the game, but it gets a lot more involved from there. :3