Thread: The Search for Garnet

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Search for Garnet

At some point into the first disc Garnet decides to disappear with Steiner and your objective is to run after them. This is also around the point where you can find Quina and add them to your party. I never got past this part because I kept dying at, wherever it was you're supposed to go. It's been ages so I forget. That's as far as I ever gotten in IX. WHY DO I SUCK AT THINGS I LOVE?!

Have you ever gotten stuck on a part in-game? How did you manage to get past it? Did you?

Discuss

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I was very experienced with RPGs at the time and never really got stuck. I did minorly grind levels/weapon abilities the first time I played it. If you ever take the game on again, try to do that.

You are supposed to head to The Grotto near Quina's forest, I think North.

Does it ring any bells ? xD

funny because you ring bells to open the doors * gets shot *

You then battle the water-themed boss there and the game should take over to Dagger and Steiner, make sure you have Zidane's Trance pretty close so the water- boss is easier.

EDIT- Oh sorry I thought that this was a thread to help you out

I always get stuck, mostly with Zelda games, always the Legend of Zelda.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I seem to remember that on my first playthrough, I found Gizamaluke an absolute pain in the backside. Is that the bit you might have got stuck on? If so, I definitely sympathise.

The only other bit I recall that gave me much trouble was Ark. I replayed FFIX in November and I have to say I didn't find anything terribly difficult. This was my third/fourth time through, and I have to say there was only really Ark when I expected any real bother.

On IX i got stuck after disc 1 many many times, because my disc 2 was broken. That was sad.

And for some reason it took me awhile to find the shadow trick in that Desert Palace. I think the lighting may have been bad on my tv, because it's not that hard to figure out.

On FFIV I was such a newb I didn't understand the concept of saving, so I was stuck on that game for a long long time. Each time I played I would make it further and further, but never beat Milon on Mt. Ordeals until I finally figured out how to save. I grew very very familiar with the first chunk of this game!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Gizamaluke was a pain when I first played. Also, the last disc in memoria the whatever they are there. Those bosses were jerks.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Gizamaluke is STILL a pain in the ass. I have a hard time with him!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Between Lindblum and Gizamaluke's Grotto is prime time for character leveling and ability learning. So I buy every piece of equipment available, and then learn all of the abilities possible for each character, minus High Tide for Quina and Zidane's strongest weapon (because he gets 2 or 3 just in Lindblum, so I learn what I can until I come to his strongest equip, and get points for that one as I move forward in the grotto.)

The best place to do this is to follow the river stream until you see a gate not too far from it. In the gate, to your right, you will see a little stream thing (you may have seen it in an earlier ATE involving Cinna) which heals your HP/MP. I just do a whole bunch of fights around there until I get all of the AP needed to learn all of the skills available at that point. It helps if you unequip them all (minus Freya) and write down a list for which skills they need to learn, that way you know who to switch equipment with so you aren't stuck with one character hogging it all and the others losing out on skills. So unequip everyone, check each item for abilities, write it down. Then equip/unequip based off of that.

By the time you finish that, you should be decently leveled, and Gizamaluke isn't such a challenge. He still isn't one of the easier bosses though.

I get lost in games all of the time. Sometimes I'll just work to figure it out, if it gets really bad, though, I'll just use a walkthrough for that one section.

IX is my favorite game and I play it on average once every year or two, and I've been playing it for about 10+ years now, so I could play the game in my sleep. But I do remember on my first playthrough that I was convinced that I would get all of my characters on disc 1. So when it asked for a disc switch and I didn't have Eiko or Amarant yet, I was all sad and freaked out because I thought I had missed characters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I seem to remember that on my first playthrough, I found Gizamaluke an absolute pain in the backside. Is that the bit you might have got stuck on? If so, I definitely sympathise.
    I believe so.

13-PSOGL2_577.jpg

This image is definitely familiar.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just seeing that picture makes me want to punch something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only part I got stuck in in 9 was on disc 2 when I found out my disc would freeze in a certain spot in a cutscene. I didn't know the trick to skip cutscenes until years later when I got myself a copy that didn't freeze.

The part everyone is talking about is a bit of a pain, though.