Why wouldn't it play on the PS2?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't heard this about Tactics, but some PS1 games weren't compatible with with the PS2 or were very glitchy on it. The slim model has a lot more games that doesn't work with it, but I do know one game that doesn't work well on any PS2 (or PS3 for that matter) is Final Fantasy V from the Final fantasy Anthology. So I suppose it's possible Tactics doesn't work well either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well that sucks. I pretty much put away the old PlayStation because my PS2 has played every PS1 game with the controllers and memory cards just fine since purchase.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

tactics works well enough from my experience with the ps2 slim. you should definitely jump in and play tactics. if nothing else (and you have a psp) get war of the lions. wow portable such improvements wol

Blog Entries

There's a mod that applies the superior translation from WoL to the original out there! I'd recommend looking into it. I applied it easily enough!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I have only every played the PS1 version on the PS2, and not only have I never had any problems this is the first I have ever heard of this. Both of my FFT disks work fine in my PS2 and by old school fat PS3. (Yes, I have two...)
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not much else to say but I'll agree it's one of the best games I've ever played. Every one should be warned that the game is hard and there are sections where you can get permanently stuck because your party is not strong enough to win the battle and you cannot go back.

The story takes place thousands of years after FFXII on the other side of the continent, in a kingdom that is apparently the last place to still call itself Ivalice, although this does not factor into the plot. As with the other Ivalice games, the story is loosely tied to the Ogre Battle saga through various plot points.

Hm odd. i saw the came on the ps2 compatibility list saying it would not play xD but if it does then yeah it will be easyer for you to play it =D

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Note: if unit X has 'Gained JP-UP', the extra JP given by that
    ability are ignored in the JP sharing equation.
    Well, that clarifies that.

Also, the way I've always viewed the Ivalice games was that Final Fantasy XII takes place in Ivalice's Golden Age, and that Final Fantasy Tactics took place in its Dark Age and Vagrant Story is either around the same time as FFT, or it takes place shortly before Ivalice's Age of Enlightenment (which is more my own theorizing rather than it being based on any actual concrete evidence. It just struck me as taking place in an era equivalent to the Renaissance).
    Last edited by Edge7; 12-15-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    Returners Represent!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    Also, the way I've always viewed the Ivalice games was that Final Fantasy XII takes place in Ivalice's Golden Age, and that Final Fantasy Tactics took place in its Dark Age and Vagrant Story is either around the same time as FFT, or it takes place shortly before Ivalice's Age of Enlightenment (which is more my own theorizing rather than it being based on any actual concrete evidence. It just struck me as taking place in an era equivalent to the Renaissance).
    Vagrant Story takes place a few centuries after FFT, I think.

I'm in it for the battle system. My main qualm is the limited use of characters and ablities without modifying towards the end. I don't see why you need Jump 3 when there's Ignore Height. Naturally there's abilities that make others obsolete. You have to trim the fat to find the best ones. For practical sake I ended up with these. :Spoiler for those who haven't played all the way through:

Ramza

Guts
    Math Skill
    Blade Grasp
    Magic DefUP
    Teleport

Excalibur
    Aegis Shield
    Thief Hat
    Rubber Costume
    108 Gems

Something well-rounded.

Generics are 3 Females

Battle Skill
    Math Skill
    Blade Grasp
    Maintenance
    Teleport

Excalibur
    Aegis Shield
    Ribbon
    Crystal Armor
    Chantage

The three generics together in battle are virtually invincible.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Blog Entries

I like all the love I am seeing for Tactics. It surely is a must-play for an incredible story and fun and different battle system. Tactics Advance is a fairly different beast with a lot of gameplay changes, but I loved the first one and ehhh-liked the second. If you have a Gameboy Advance, TA is worth picking up. Again, a whole different take on how battles work in comparison to Tactics, but there is a lot of good experimentation happening.

Greatermaximus hits upon something of a problem in the original Tactics; you can spend a lot of time expanding a character's job abilities only to find that it can be a waste of time in comparison to other job routes. Getting all the abilities for a job sounds great, but you might find out how little you use most of them. The skills and equipment Greatermaximus mentions is his streamlining the squad into avatars of murder. You need not do that to enjoy the game, but it can be satisfying to end a battle in virtually no time and no wounds.

Its not the traditional RPG style you see in the main series, its more like a strategy game. It depends if you like those type of games, but to be an off series, i will say it works pretty well
    Have fun.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

FFT is my favorite game of the series, and one of my favorite RPGs. It's a great SRPG, with the best story in the series -- a more serious, mature, and political-oriented story rather than the "evil bad guy tries to destroy the world" trope that litters the genre. The original PS1 version has some translation issues and glitches, but if you can live with that it is well worth the experience.