Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Majora's Mask Let's Play!

Welcome one and all to the Majora's Mask Let's Play! I will be doing this in two parts. The first is typical Let's Play which will be a typical Let's Play of my progress in game. I am not playing on an emulator, so I will be adding pics thanks to the magic of the Internet. This will also be featuring sharkythesharkdogg, because we are nerds and this is our couple bonding and we are playing the game together. Shut up.

The second part, which will be in between our Let's Play updates will be my Clock Town Times Newspaper of Newspaperiness. This will have three parts to it. The first is an article on my obervations about the game, the second will be a feature on a mask, and the third will be a character feature. None will be particularly long.
    **A note about character features: Due to the sidequesting nature of the game, the character feature will be me stalking them without interfereing n any major way with their three day timeline. The parts where I DO interfere and complete their sidequests will be in the regular Let's Play.

Feel free to requests a mask and/or character you would like to see featured.

So before we begin, for those who have never played the game, here are some basic things you should know.

* Majora's Mask takes game in a "mirror world" called Termina, which has a lot of the same character models as Ocarina of Time, but they aren't the same people.
    * The game itself is rather short, including only four dungeons plus a final dungeon.
    * Because of what I said on the last point, the game has a very large number of sidequests.
    * The game takes place during a 3 day game time period. You can rewind and slow down time to help you on your quest.
    * The game has a large number of masks, including transformation masks that turn you into a deku, goron, or zora.

Enjoy!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whoooo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Part uno: Introduction!
    1a_07.jpg

So here we are, chillin in a forest with Epona, lookin for someone, when suddenly these two pesky fairies appear and spook the poor horse. Link then falls to his death.

Fin.

No, but really Link falls off of his horse pretty hard and is knocked unconcious. It's a good thing there's no weird deku child wearing a mask here to rob him. Oh no wait, there is. He goes through Link's junk and pulls out his Ocarina.

1a_01.jpg
    Pictured here, theft.

The skull kid looks amused by this device and proceeds to start playing a note at a time, giggling like a manic in between each note. Surprisingly, Link wakes up. He stares at the Skull Kid, who does the mature thing and puts it behind his back like he didn't steal it and wasn't just playing it very poorly. Link, however, is not an idiot (Which is suprising, when you account for all the blunt force trauma to the head he has suffered over the years, as we the player sent him rolling into countless solid objects). So he goes to grab the Skull Kid. He misses, though, and the Skull Kid jumps up on Epona who starts running. Link lunges after them and grabs on to Epona's leg, but eventually he falls off and Epona and the Skull Kid run off.

1a_03.jpg

What follows is a series of running and jumping and flipping and "Hyaa! Hwa!" as Link chases the Skull Kid through the Woods. Eventually Link runs himself right to an open cliff. Well, a cliff with a huge square hole in it, which happens to be just where Link emerges from. So he falls and what follows is some weird light show with a bunch of mask symbols and other symbols as Link falls a great distance.

Link falls right on to a little pink flower. In front of him, shining in a spotlight, is the Skull Kid and the two fairies.

1a_06.jpg
    You can't see it from this pic, but on the ground under Skull Kid, in the spotlight, there is a reverse tri-force symbol.

Skull Kid says how Epona wouldn't listen to a word he says and... doesn't tell us what happened to the poor horsey. He isn't done being a jerk face, however, and decides to play a cruel joke on our hero. Suddenly Link finds himself approached and surrounded by a bunch of large Deku creatures.

1a_08.jpg

When Link emerges from his hallucination, he finds that he himself has been turned in to a small Deku Child.

1a_09.jpg
    He looks unbelievably depressed but adorable at the same time.

So now Link has been knocked unconcious, robbed, had his horse kidnapped, and now has been turned in to a small Deku child. Overall, I would say a 2/10 on the good day scale. Would not recommend. Skull Kid retreats, laughing, and one of his fairies comes at you to stop you from following. She bumps in to you a few times, knocking you to the ground. Then she makes that noise that kids make when they stick their tongues out at you. She then goes to follow the Skull Kid and her fairy friend (who is actually her brother) but the door shuts before she has a chance to following. She bumps in to it a few times before going to see Link again.

Well now that she has decided she needs your help to get out of this place and find the other two, she gives a half-assed apology and says she will help until we find them. So off we go through the weird forested-ish aread. There is more jumping involved. We also learn about the flower jump:

DekuFlight_1242665420.jpg

Which is performed by pressing A over a flower (like the pink one shown where Link is standing in front of the Skull Kid in an earlier image), Link will spin down in to the flower. When you see the flower move a little and hear a noise, you press A to have Deku Link pop up from the flower, where he will glide for a few seconds. You can press A to drop early. This is one of Deku Link's skills.

So we continue onward when we run accross a sad looking tree.

1a_16.jpg

Almost through the area now. There's one last twisty turny corridor that we go through that flips upside down in a spiral kind of, and then we emerge in the Clock Tower. You don't know this yet, but you kind of do, because I just told you. The door shuts behind you and you can naver go back. At least, not in this game.

We meet with the very odd and kind of creepy Happy Mask Salesman, who happens to be the same one from Hyrule in the Ocarina of Time. He says, "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" Which is also what is said if you let the 3 day period run out when playing the game, but more on that later.

1a_17.jpg

Well the Happy Mask Salesman is a collector of masks and it turns out a strange imp stole an evil mask from him not too long ago. He agrees that if Link was to get his Ocarina back, the Mask Salesman will turn him to his human form. But he also has to get Majora's Mask, the evil mask, back as well. But there's a catch. He will be leaving in 3 days, so we have to get it back before then. When you find out why he's leaving in 3 days, its hard to blame him

And so begins the 3 day clock. Time doesn't pass in the Clock Tower, however. (Which is the one place you would expcet to be the most time centric.)

1a_19.jpg

Later on today, or maybe tomorrow, I will post up my first Clock Town Times, and next Let's Play will feature the first three day cycle of trying to retreive the Ocarina of Time!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I may add the occasional comment as editor. >__>

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Easily one of the most underrated games in the Zelda series.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    This and Wind Waker c:

Loving it Shion

My favourite! I'm enjoying this already!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oki doki, I was going to do an issue of the Clock Town Times, but since you haven't even been exposed to Clock Town yet, I've decided it is best done after the first 3 days.

Part 2: The First Three Days

We emerge in Clock Town to an interesting
    hqdefault.jpg
    which isn't at all intimidating and doesn't make me feel pressured in the least bit.

So now we can explore Clock Town, but we won't because it is very crucial to get things done in the first three day period. Later on, we will have a song to slow the flow of time, but for now we have to make do.

But for those of you who haven't played, here is the map of Clock Town and some pics, as well as the song playing to help set the mood:

ClockTown.jpg
    We start out basically at the center of this map. The center area is South Clock Town, the large area to its right is East Clock Town, the green area above is North Clock Town, and the area to the left is West Clock Town. Below that is the Laundry Pool.

500px-South_Clock_Town.pngyftLD.jpg500px-1000px-North_Clock_Town.png500px-West_Clock_Town.png500px-Laundry_Pool.png
    Pictured in order: South Clock Town, East Clock Town, North Clock Town, West Clock Town, and the Laundry Pool.

Here is some musacs:

Play this in the background as you follow me through Clock Town!

So once we emerge from the Clock Tower in South Clock Town, Tatl the fairy fusses about the mask salesman's request and how ridiculous it is. She then tells us we should go and visit the Great Fairy in North Clock Town.

So off we head to speak to the Great Fairy, but we arrive to find several smaller fairies instead. When we approach, we are told that the Great Fairy has been shattered in to several pieces, and that one is still missing.

So we head back out and decide to buy a map from Tingle since we're all here anyway.
    1b_03.jpg

Tingle is a 35 year old man who sells maps and claims to be a fairy. Really no more explanation is needed. We buy the map of Clock Town. Now we head over to the Laundry Pool to collect the stray fairy. Once that is complete, we return to the Great Fairy's fountain.

The stray floats pack in to the pack of stay fairies, and with an annoying laugh and a bright sparkle, the Great Fairy of magic appears!

GreatFairy-e1352419173979.jpg
    Yep. That's actually the wrong fairy, just picture her with orange/brown hair.

As a reward for restoring her to her former self, she gives you the ability of magic. With that, the Deku Link can use another skill, Bubble Blast.

Bubble_Blast.png

Press and hold B to grow the bubble, and then release B to shoot the bubble. Press Z to taget automatically, or otherwise just aim your camera as you blow the bubble. It will pop in your face if you wait too long though! It doesn't do any damage, but it can be annoying.

While we are on the subject of Deku Link, some other characteristics: Deku Link hops over water. He gets 5 hops before he falls in to the water and drowns, and you start back from where you began hopping on the water. He can stand on lillypads that human Link is too heavy to stand on. He also dies instantly from fire, since he is made of wood. His attack (pressing A) is him doing a little spin and attacking the enemies.

Now to continue on with our adventure! Still in North Clock Town, the fairy gives us a hint as to how to find the Skull Kid. She tells us to go to the observatory. So we head quickly over to East Clock Town, where we spot a young boy guarding an alleyway. He says he needs us to give him the secret code to be allowed entrance. Well, we don't have it, so we head back to North Clock Town. There, we find a similar looking young man shooting at a balloon that for some reason has a picture of Majora's Mask on it. We speak to him and he fusses and says it isn't worth talking to us. Which is rude. So I shoot a bubble at him, but it doesn't work the way I want it to. He tells us we might be worth his time if we can pop the balloon that he spends basically 3 days and nights trying to pop.

So pop it we do! He looks amazed and we return to speak to him again. He tells us how uber cool we are and proposes a challenge:

1d_03.jpg

A game of hide and seak (more like hide and tag) and if we find them all by morning, he will teach us the code we need to know! So let the game begin!

there are two in North Clock Town, two in East Clock Town (one of them flies down from a building with a chicken and hides under a box) and one in West Clock Town who is just out in the open and really not even trying. Overall, doesn't take very long. So they are all captured and the boys (the leader is named Jim) have decided to give us the code. I would tell you what it is, but it varies from game to game. This game it was 21345.

They do, however, decide to be racist little jerks and not let me join because I am a Deku Scrub and racism. They also allude to the fact that the Skull Kid joined and was a total jerk, so no non-humans allowed. But we have the code, so we can head back to the alleyway and over to the observatory.

The alleyway leads down to some unimpressive area with some running and a bit of water hopping. Eventually there is a ladder blocked by a balloon that they make you pop. I'm guessing for practice.

And then the area gets interesting.

500px-Astral_Observatory.png

They basically took every colour in existance and just threw it all together. We speak with the old man by the telescope and he fusses about the Skull Kid, because everyone hates the Skull Kid and he is always causing trouble. He finally offers me to look through the telescope.

I look around and spot a few odd gentleman doing some jumping jacks, before looking on top of the Clock Tower. There, the Skull Kid wiggles his butt at me before looking towards the sky.

And looming in the sky, is this:

1491545-moon_stares_at_link_in_the_legend_of_zelda_majoras_mask.jpg

A giant moon very close to the Clock Tower, with an evil, creepy looking face. A tear suddenly falls from the sky and lands conveniently outside of the observatory. I go out to get it.

MoonTear1.jpg

Now we have the Moon's Tear!

We backtrack over to the South Clock Town and approach a yellow flower near the Clock Tower. Before we can do anything with it, a Deku Scrub comes flying in, claiming it is his residence. He does agree to exchange it, however, if we happen to have a Moon's Tear for his wife, he will exchange his property for it. Conveniently, we happen to have one!

MoonTear2.jpg
    See how happy he is.

So he gives over the title deed, and now we can use his flower to fly up to the Clock Tower. The catch is, unfortunetly, that the Clock Tower doesn't open until midnight of the third day. So we have about two days to wander around and do what we like. Now we can get some infor from the townsfolks.

I'll go in to more detail about the characters as their sidequests come up, but here is basically what we learn.
    -There is a Carnival of Time held every year. The carnival is scheduled for the fourth day (or midnight on the third day, when the Clock Tower opens)
    -There is a giant, menacing moon threatening to crash in to the planet. If you look up and watch, you can see it slowly approaching the Clock Tower.
    -Some people are questioning staying, and some plan to go over to Romani Ranch to the South.
    -The guards won't let you leave town because you are a child and have no weapon.

Basically people are pretty bad off. It is sad times. The third day approaches and the music becomes sadder, and the earth starts shaking.

We wait patiently while the world slowly approaches its doom. If you go to West Clock Town, you can deposit your rupees, which is a good idea, because after what happens, you will lose it all if you don't put it in the bank. You can see the town become more and more abandoned as each day goes by. By the third night, it is practically abandoned.

As midnight on the third day approaches, we get in our flower and fly over to the Clock Tower. There we find a Heart Piece! Now we just have to wait. Once it strikes midnights, there are a few fireworks, and the Clock Tower opens in to steps that allow you to climb up the top.

More musacs:

You run up the stairs and find the Skull Kid and Tael, Tatl's brother. They exchange a few words and the Skull Kid decides he wants to destroy the world and speeds up the Moon crashing in to Termina. Tael tells us to seak out the four at the four corners, but we don't know what that means quite yet. The Skull Kid smack Tael and Tatl becomes quite upset, renouncing their friendship.

BEGIN BATTLE

This is actually really easy. Just Z target and shoot the Skull Kid with a bubble. He will drop Link's Ocarina.

1f_07.jpg

Go to pick it up and Link will flash back to Zelda, speaking to him about the Ocarina. This is the only time she appears in Majora's Mask. She reminds you about the song of time. Once you finish your flashback, Tatl makes a comment about needing more time.

You pull out your Ocarina to see that Deku Link, has his own instrument.

hqdefault.jpg

So you play the song of time and suddenly you find yourself in a white screen, falling, and then you see

Dawn of The First Day
    72 Hours Remain.

And that's all for this time! Hope you enjoyed it

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    This and Wind Waker c:

Loving it Shion
    Wind Waker isn't underrated, it's been re-released in HD for the Wii U lately! But I will have to agree that MM is underrated.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

best Zelda boss music ever.

Are you playing on console or Project 64?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Majora's Mask has a lot of great music. I decided to add some of it to my Let's Play to help add atmosphere for those who have never played.

I am playing it on console. That's why the pics are from the Internet, and not screen grabs.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, these are not screen grabs? I feel cheated.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sorry ;___;. I'm doing my best with what I have

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I sucked at this game as a kid. I'm so waiting for it to be remade for the 3ds like oot was. I doubt it'll come though YAY LET"S PLAY!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Anyways, I don't know why people talk about the moon and the Happy Mask Salesman being creepy. I mean, they are, but really the scariest thing in this game (from what I've played) is the Great Fairy. She's terrifying.