Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    Pippin farted in TTT I believe, and I was thinking the same of Gimli in Return of the King..maybe it was a burp though. Guess I'm not too fond of gas humor, but I know some people will watch a a 5 minute youtube video filled of fart noises and think it's just the best thing since sliced bread.
    i feel ur gas-pain, bro

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

A whimsy fantastical book is criticized cause its action stunts are too fantastical. Okay.

I enjoyed this movie. It was fun. It was an over the top fantasy film as all the lotr movies have been.

Smaug was scary looking.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Smaug, I felt, was pretty much perfect in this movie. He really stole the show!

I can understand people's issues with the action scenes, particularly with Legolas, but I honestly felt they were a lot of fun for the most part.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    Pippin farted in TTT I believe, and I was thinking the same of Gimli in Return of the King..maybe it was a burp though. Guess I'm not too fond of gas humor, but I know some people will watch a a 5 minute youtube video filled of fart noises and think it's just the best thing since sliced bread.
    Bread scene in Lorien (Fellowship). Legolas is explaining how little bread you have to eat to be full, Merry asks Pippin how many he ate. "Four." /burp

Celebrating in Edoras (Return), Gimli gets drunk, burps, and points out that other people can't hold their liquor while passing out. He did not win.

Spoiler alert, there's a third movie. I'll wait for that.

Blog Entries

yeah ok, the burps i have seen, but i dont remember any farts :o

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    A whimsy fantastical book is criticized cause its action stunts are too fantastical. Okay.

I enjoyed this movie. It was fun. It was an over the top fantasy film as all the lotr movies have been.

Smaug was scary looking.
    fantastic? are you talking about legolas riding the 2 barrols?
    i dont mind some cool stunts, but that part just.. i didnt like it

Alrighty, I found the fart scene and it was a burp, lol. Although a few others mistook it for a fart scene as well. That isn't as bad.

I don't really ever give any of these movies negative critical response, but to be fair the over the top stunts aren't my thing. Fellowship and most of the LoTR films kept their action within the laws of physics. I tend to fall out of the fantasy world I'm emerged in if I see something too jarring that I can't wrap my head around.

Yes, Smaug was definite brilliance on screen. And Martin Freeman has also owned Bilbo in a way I didn't think was possible. The casting in general is near flawless.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Saw it, wasn't keen at first, warmed up to it.

+ I smurfing unashamedly loved the ridiculous stunts. As Freya says it's a fantasy movie and I want to see something fantastic. Nothing like Tolkien's original? Good. Tolkien's fighting scenes were godawful. It's fun, it's exciting, it's intense and I enjoyed it immensely.
    + I loved the visual design. Mirkwood, The Woodland Realm, Laketown, the treasure pile, oomph, yes, gorgeous. Same for the Elven armour.
    + I did not hate Tauriel like I thought I would! I quite liked the story of the Elves and I liked Legolas being a huge dick because it neatly highlights the development as a character in LotR to an extent - his racial prejudices being dropped.
    + Bard was great, a really strong presence and I loved Laketown politics.
    + Creepy spiders! Much scarier than Shelob was!
    + The Sauron reveal.
    + SMAUG

- While I liked Tauriel and assumed there'd be a Legolas love story... did there really need to be a smurfing love story arc with Kili? God damn.
    - The Beorn scene was rendered utterly pointless. What the smurf was that all about? I loved the little intro in the Hobbit with more and more Dwarves showing up. Instead, five minutes of "Yep, Orcs are dicks, have some ponies".
    - Orcs interacting with Sauron like he's their bro. "YOU PROMISED ME HIS HEAD RAAAAGH!" and "pfft yeah I serve super secret Sauron, Elves, what of it? " get to smurf.
    - I still have no interest in these Orcs as villains anyway.
    - Bilbo becoming a bit of a Ring junkie already in Mirkwood. No
    - I would've liked to have seen more of Gandalf and Radagast. Buddy Wizard-Cop movie would be incredible.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Kili is amazing and hot. He needs loving too. I'm okay with tauriel. Dwarfxelf login!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Kili is amazing and hot. He needs loving too. I'm okay with tauriel. Dwarfxelf login!
    Thumbs up for you :P
    as cute as i find that romance, i also find it a little awkward :P

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The Beorn scene was rendered utterly pointless. What the smurf was that all about? I loved the little intro in the Hobbit with more and more Dwarves showing up. Instead, five minutes of "Yep, Orcs are dicks, have some ponies".
    They made three blasted movies out of this book and they couldn't fit in the funniest scene of the whole story? This better be in the extended edition.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

You're all just jealous you don't have the elves infinite arrows cheat. Doesn't work as well when you're cornered, though.[/joke]

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Given the way they did it, I think it's impossible to put it into the extended edition which is a damned shame.

Oh, I think there will be more to Beorn in the EE though. Seems off that Gandalf and Beorn don't share one bit of dialogue, unless I'm forgetting something.

Funny tidbit on an interview with the actor that plays Thorin concerning one of the scenes. Funny stuff.

Richard Armitage: [Laughs] Ha, I knew someone would pick up on that! At the time, I remember thinking, “He’s got me running around with a wheelbarrow... is he actually taking the piss?” [Laughs] It sort of looks like he’s going gardening. Emergency gardening in Erebor!
    Last edited by Elskidor; 12-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I ship them so hard. I'm a fan girl. I admit it. It's cute. Dwarf and Elf love is not a normal thing so it is adorable to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I feel like they rushed past the different locales in the beginning and just kinda had very little happen in laketown and the mountain at the end. Also I don't know if this film had to end on such a cliffhanger. I thought the first one ended on the perfect note with them making it out of the Misty Mountains.

The over the top action can be a bit much and it almost turned me off of RotK last time I watched it. But I'm satisfied with Jackson's departures because, unlike the liberties they take in Game of Thrones, the original stuff is still fun to watch and overall well done. The chase scenes are starting to get repetitive but they're still so incredibly choreographed I really don't care.