Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: First opinions on Bravely Default

Blog Entries

eh, I'm not bothered by the censorship personally.
    I just-- can we all take a moment to appreciate the gorgeous background art???

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Wait a minute..... dont tell me that, the reason behind this game censorship (raping) is just to grab a few more sales by changing its original rating?..

Well done Nintendo, looks like you keep pulling this sort of crap after all these years.. and some Nintendo fans seem to reinforce this BS attitude..

Thanks god I gave up on Nintendo a long time ago..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think it's the Nintendo fans with the BS attitude...:-P

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm starting to hate the Brave/ Default battle system, if you Brave too much you can become a sitting duck in the middle of Boss fights, [which is imo totally unfair], you just used all of your Braves on Cura heals and one attack, congrts ! Your White Mage with lower HP than the others is now a sitting duck !

Also if you don't Brave enough, you can still become a sitting duck, because you most likely didn't heal enough during that turn, so watch as the Boss whacks you down to the ground.

The older Final Fantasy system had more balance between the bosses and the party.

Or is it because I suck at the system ??

Blog Entries

It's kinda hard to grasp. I kinda like the brave/default system because it gives more value to defending.
    As long as you can juggle between defaults and braves well enough there should be no problem.

I've found that in boss battles I let my most important team members (healers and cannons) default for the first three rounds, then pelt the boss with everything I've got. Sometimes I might have EVERYONE default the first three rounds.
    So you don't have to render your characters useless as long as you play it safe. It's all up to strategy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Indeed. I usually start boss battles by defaulting everyone until they stack three points each. Then I make judgments on whether to brave or default based on who has how many HP, how the boss acts, etc., while trying to make it so that someone will get a turn after the boss's next turn. I actually love it. It's the most strategic take on the classic turn based system (as in, first you issue commands, then hope the boss doesn't kill your characters before they take action) I've ever seen. As for random battles, I usually brave everyone to the maximum, and the battle takes three seconds. Grinding has never been so quick

The only boss that have be trouble till now was on chapter two: (SPOILER)the Red Mage, and only due to revenge. That skill made me brave less and default more, which I guess was pretty much what that battle was supposed to be like. As for the crystal boss, Rusalka, it was one of the most fun bosses so far. Let me just say I love my spell fencer Edea

Also, black orb, you know what's rape? Rape. Nothing else. This is adjusting to cultural standards. What's often acceptable in Japan would often be found reprehensible in the West. And you can't hate a company for wanting to make more money, as that's basically what their main source of income is.

On the topic of rape, I have now beaten Florem and I can tell you this. A 15-year-old Edea (SPOILER)being casually implied to be raped would not fly in countries with the age of consent being higher even if they changed the rating. I personally live in a country where the age of consent of 15, but I'm still glad they changed the ages, if only because the characters speak more like 18-20-year-olds than 15-17-year olds.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    This is adjusting to cultural standards. What's often acceptable in Japan would often be found reprehensible in the West.
    >>> How about adjusting the rating instead, and just leave the game`s integrity untouched?..

And you can't hate a company for wanting to make more money, as that's basically what their main source of income is.
    >>> Make money is ok, resorting to sneaky underhanded tactics to make even more money is just being greedy, and yeah I can totally hate them for that..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    This is adjusting to cultural standards. What's often acceptable in Japan would often be found reprehensible in the West.
    >>> How about adjusting the rating instead, and just leave the game`s integrity untouched?..
    Not really. The content I mentioned earlier would probably not fly under any rating if Edea stayed 15.

Hate whatever you want, man. I just think you're exaggerating a bit, but that's just my opinion.

FFXIV Character

Minami Chan (Moogle)

I use the same strategy as white wizard.

Blog Entries

you know what's rape? Rape. Nothing else.

^THIS^

I didn't wanna say it myself coz I feel like I've been causing too much trouble recently, but likening anything to rape is just plain wrong.

Currently there are a lot of movements, especially in the US, trying to raise awareness against the objectification of women (and other people struggling against oppression). It's a real pity that none of this has actually leaked to Japan, because it seems as if almost every anime these days has big wobbly titties and full-on panty shots wobbling in our faces, which is offensive to me. Especially with young ladies who aren't even developed enough to make it out of having children healthily.

Just tell me this: Do you honestly believe Bravely Default will be any less of an interesting story without the inappropriate ages and bondage strap clothing? Do you think it will damage the quality of the gorgeous background art, the characters and their personalities, and the comedy in the dialogue?

Basically all I think would be missing is the fanservice. Fanservice isn't worth my time.

If you want the original content, just get the version that hasn't been localized for the US. Pick up a copy of a Japan or UK import of the 3ds and play it that way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Black Magic Shopkeeper View Post
    you know what's rape? Rape. Nothing else.

^THIS^

I didn't wanna say it myself coz I feel like I've been causing too much trouble recently, but likening anything to rape is just plain wrong.

Currently there are a lot of movements, especially in the US, trying to raise awareness against the objectification of women (and other people struggling against oppression). It's a real pity that none of this has actually leaked to Japan, because it seems as if almost every anime these days has big wobbly titties and full-on panty shots wobbling in our faces, which is offensive to me. Especially with young ladies who aren't even developed enough to make it out of having children healthily.

Just tell me this: Do you honestly believe Bravely Default will be any less of an interesting story without the inappropriate ages and bondage strap clothing? Do you think it will damage the quality of the gorgeous background art, the characters and their personalities, and the comedy in the dialogue?

Basically all I think would be missing is the fanservice. Fanservice isn't worth my time.

If you want the original content, just get the version that hasn't been localized for the US. Pick up a copy of a Japan or UK import of the 3ds and play it that way.
    This. Granted, Japan objectifies men almost equally. There's much more fanservice involving men than anywhere in the West. It's a bit more fair this way, I guess? I mean, it's still objectification, but the double standard is less pronounced.

Blog Entries

Ah, too true. Mostly -younger boys- get the animated fanservice, which is just plain creepy. Still, it is a little less common.

In other news, I'm stuck at the minotaur in the demo... any suggestions on what I should do??
    I've got every job leveled up to 3 on everyone, everyone's level 14, and I've determined that the Minotaur has 6000 hp and is weak against fire.
    I thought it would be a breeze after all that grinding and knowing how to work with the brave/default system... still I find myself losing it halfway through the battle every time.

I'm thinking I should tackle it with 2 magic-users to spam fire and 2 healers to protect the team... But I have to hold off til tomorrow, so I don't run out the demo's uses.

(Man I remember when demos didn't have limited uses. What kind of idiot thought it would be a good idea to give a demo -limited uses-???
    Oh well... at least I get treats in the full release for completing quests in the demo. That's a cool deal.)
    Last edited by Black Magic Shopkeeper; 01-10-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do you get acces to the ranger class in the demo? I always use beast slayer against them.

Also, just to finish off the censorship thing, this outfit also got cut

BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume.png

BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume_Artwork.png

But yeah, it's not just kids. In shows aimed at women or girls, they deliver in the male eye-candy department. The very genre of yaoi is a romanticized version of male homosexual relationships written by women for women. So yeah, they do get more forward with their objectification.

Blog Entries

Dear God, what class is that even supposed to be??
    Well, I see your point. But I think what bothers me most is that such fanservice has gotten so damn graphic in general media within the last 4 years that it makes it difficult NOT to come by a show where every bit of detail in the curvature of someone's buttocks is visible through their pantyhose-- and often times it will be featured on a show that is NOT labelled as 'ecchi', 'hentai', 'harem', or anything of the sort.
    It wasn't so bad for me in the 90's-- in fact not at all, because panty shots were short, not very detailed, and thus easy to overlook; breasts and noodles were exposed, but they weren't bouncing/flapping around all over the place, so THAT wasn't such a big deal for me either. It's probably because animation qualities weren't so crisp as they are now... or something.

At least I can say that with Japan the general population seems to be more understanding towards LGBT+ communities. While I'm no advocate or anything, I think it's important to make everyone feel comfortable with their preferences/traits, and a lot of actually funded Japanese media does just that. That kind of thing is kind of hard to come by around here.

And nah, I don't seem to have access to the Ranger class. It's got Swordmaster, Valkyrie, Performer, Ninja, red mage, black mage, white mage, knight, and of course Onion Kni-- I mean freelancer.
    Last edited by Black Magic Shopkeeper; 01-10-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm... Afraid I can't help. I haven't used many of those jobs yet :/ A ranger really helps against those guys, so at least keep that in mind for the full version.

That is actually a DLC costume. Don't it just make you wanna tap that Ringabel booty?

And I agree about the anime thing. However, all that is justified by (and may perhaps be even a cause of) many social issues that have been plaguing Japan lately. But now I think we're getting just a tad bit off-topic, so we might talk about it somewhere else