Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: First opinions on Bravely Default

Now that I have actually been playing the game for a few hours, it is time for me to give my first opinions.

SQUEEEEE!!!

*Ahem*

This game is utterly fantastic. Thus far, it is everything I hoped it would be.

My first squee came within the first few seconds of gameplay, when I was randomly exploring around the inn of Caldisla and I discovered an item and a stash of gold. Finally, an RPG that rewards classic exploration around town! It was only a few minutes later that I discovered several more items scattered around the city-state.

My next squee, however, came even before my discover of the additional items around town. Caldisla looks absolutely gorgeous. The artistic style has an almost rustic sketched look to it, while still being colorful and incredibly detailed. I am not at all doing it justice here, so let me just say that it looks absolutely stunning. It looks even better than Ancheim (I think that's the place) did in the demo. What's more, it keeps looking amazing whether you are zoomed in while moving around, or while you set the game down for a second and it zooms out to show you the entire city. It is simply awe-inspiring, and the 3D just makes it look even better.

My third squee came after I first went to talk to the king and start my quest, and it was more of a squee of giddy excitement over the entire experience than it was over any one particular feature. The story, while simplistic thus far (I had only just begun) was so satisfying. It wasn't an epic, convoluted, or confusing mess. It was a straightforward call to adventure, with a solid reason, and a compelling character. The townsfolk are sympathetic, the king is reasonable, and the captain is awesome.

My fourth squee came shortly after Agnès Oblige joined the party, and we got to see the interactions between her and Tiz for the first time. This was closely followed by an even bigger squee when, after she officially joined, the game revealed that it was going to have mid-game/mid-dungeon character banter, a feature that was lifted almost whole-heartedly from the Tales series (and was one of the best features of the Tales series, in my opinion), right down to the different character portraits taking corners of the screen and discussing issues with each other.

And my final squee of my first impressions was a result of the first, minor, story arc. The path through to unlocking the first jobs, the mechanism of it, and the story bits involved in the first jobs we get. It ran the gamut from absurd and ridiculous, to touching, to awesome, and more. It was just so...colorful.

Thus far, I have no complaints about this game at all. It is everything I had hoped it would be, and more. It is the perfect throwback to the elements of not just Final Fantasy, but every traditional JRPG. Strong characters, fun stories, exquisite gameplay (which received no squees merely because I had already squeed at the combat during the demo), a compelling world, and a near perfect balance of tone, between serious and comic. Square, you guys have hit this one out of the park. This is what all your fans have wanted from you guys for so long.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 02-08-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I just finished the prologue and I enjoyed every minute of it. Ringabel is my favorite character so far with Edea in a close second. And I am loving the soundtrack. And the battle system is great and the fact that the first four classes you get are my favorite classes doesn't hurt. I left Tiz a freelancer until I got the Knight class for him. Ingés is my White Mage, Ringabel my Black, and Edea my Monk.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, Ringabel and Edea are amazing, but by no means does that mean that Tiz and Agnés are not compelling.

I also think one thing worth mentioning is the voice acting. It's... Surprisingly uneven. Some of the NPCs have terrible voices, and yet the main cast seems pretty spot-on. The only main character whose voice I have some gripes with is Agnés. I mean, sometimes she sounds really good, but most of the time I think the actress is trying way too hard for that 'breathy voice' effect. This is weird, considering her VA is a very experienced and talented one.

And Ringabel is voiced by Spike Spencer and boy, is the way he chews the scenery magnificent

Skyblade, let it be known to you that you are not alone in your squeeing. I still keep squeeing, even though I'm pretty far in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    I just finished the prologue and I enjoyed every minute of it. Ringabel is my favorite character so far with Edea in a close second.
    Yes team Ringabel !

I just gor Ringabel, I think I"m getting Edea very soon. I'm playing on hard, and OH DEAR GOD THIS GAME IS PRETTY!

Combat is fun so far, I'm currently using all squires, lvl2 White Mage on everyone. Originally I did it for the heals, the the obnus M.DEF should be handy considering I suspect that mage is up next to fight. This keep is a bit bothersome considering I'm not using Monk on anyone right now, but eh.

Articles

Having ringabell as a monk early on really helped me out. The fact they benifit from having no weapons was amazing in the first few dungeons.

Edea is love though.

Welp, after hitting lvl 19, I beat the trout out of 4 of the Beelz Nemesis and nabbed two Dexterity buns, and now I'm off to beat up the Merchent guild people! Huzzah!

Tiz is currently a Fighter with White Mage support, Edea Monk with Misc for now, Agnes as a Thief with White Magic (White Mage for the Beelz fights) and Ringa as a Black Mage with White Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Welp, after hitting lvl 19, I beat the trout out of 4 of the Beelz Nemesis and nabbed two Dexterity buns, and now I'm off to beat up the Merchent guild people! Huzzah!

Tiz is currently a Fighter with White Mage support, Edea Monk with Misc for now, Agnes as a Thief with White Magic (White Mage for the Beelz fights) and Ringa as a Black Mage with White Magic.
    What difficulty are you playing with? I tried Beelzebub at Level 15 or so and got slaughtered, though I didn't know the fight at all before trying it. But I'm playing on Hard mode.

Currently going up against the Merchant myself, at Level 21, but they're causing me troubles, especially as I'm working to steal from both of them (Khent carries Mythril Plate!). The Merchant ability deals 300 damage per hit (and he uses Default/Brave to hit twice with it) and apparently can't be mitigated.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I was 19 when I took him down on hard mode.

Turns 1-3: Default/group heal.
    Turn 4: Unleash phsycial barrage, and lighting (I had the lighting empowering rod equiped.)
    Turn 5: Normal attacks/Heal.
    Turn 6: Default
    Turn 7: Default/Heal
    Turn 8: Default to defend from Acid Breath and not die.

Unless you are unlucky and he clocks your healer turn 7, your group should survive the Acid Breath, and it's just repeating that pattern. Having a couple people that can heal helps.

Just know his third attack after Gluttony is always the Acid Breath, and he's not to bad.

And the Merchant and Jackel weren't so bad for me, just make sure to have a dedicated healer, a second person to back up the healing, and kill the Merc as fast as possible. Make sure your equipment is up to date as well, I smurfed that up the first time and my Knight was hitting him for virtually no damage.

I just cleared out the Wind Shrine, and I must say that while I'm loving this game, there are some problems.

Mostly I find both Tiz and Agnes to be really bland characters. They aren't bad, just eh. And I like Ragna, but he hits that 'I like the ladies' joke way to much, it get's old pretty fast. So far the characterization any all the characters isn't really all that great, though not bad by any means.

Enjoying the smurf out of the game though, dont' get me wrong.

Ringabel is actually my least favorite character so far. He hits the "lady's man" thing way too often. He is far better when he is being serious. Edea is my favorite, I just really like her personality. I actually like both Tiz and Agnès. They are simple, yes. But they aren't shallow. They sort of ground the game for me. I wouldn't want to play without them.

Knuckle Lore is overpowered, as it basically lets you ignore weapon shops for physical attackers. Even if it does cost your passive ability slot (when do we start to get more of those?!).

Right now, the game's biggest flaw is its linearity. There's a huge, expansive world, but you have to go here and do this. Even if there are other places to explore, you'll get told "there's nothing to do here, let's go back to our task". It's frustrating. Let me explore, dangit!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

"To help you remain tranquil in the face of almost certain death, smooth jazz will be deployed in 3...2...1..." Edea has the best special music.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Knuckle Lore is overpowered, as it basically lets you ignore weapon shops for physical attackers. Even if it does cost your passive ability slot (when do we start to get more of those?!).
    I know, right? The demo had me thinking we'd have five of those right away. Of course I was also thinking those were the first classes of the game too.

Ringabel is actually my least favorite character so far. He hits the "lady's man" thing way too often.

I respect your opinion, but one of the ten commandments is thou shall love Ringabel, remember that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I love all the characters equally. Like Skyblade said, Tiz and Agnés are simple but I wouldn't really call them bland. They have simple motivations, but have their own set of quirks. Seriously, if you're looking for bland protagonists look no further than The Last Story. Ringabel is great in that I really find his story intriguing and I really find his banter with the others entertaining, and I don't usually like the ladykiller characters. Edea is awesome in more ways than one, but to say what the number 1 reason I like her is would probably be a spoiler, so I'll probably end that here

What I really love about the characters of this game is that all four of them are the protagonist. Yes, we start with Tiz, but this is not more his story than the story of the others. The way they're all equally important really reminds me of FFVI, which is always a good thing

Articles

Even if it does cost your passive ability slot (when do we start to get more of those?!).
    If you really want to know You get one extra slot after you awaken each crystal, going to a total of 5

Took me two tries to nab teh Red Mage Asterik on Hard, the fist time I lost cause I ddin't know i was going into a fight and wasn't fully battle-prepped for it. Second time It took quite a while to take that smurfer down. That damned dread status effect is a beast.