Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: First opinions on Bravely Default

Chapter 1 Spoilers
    I think it's too early to have a spoilleriffic thread on Jobs in general, but I needed to point this out somewhere, it's been bugging me.

Does anyone else think that the Time Mage outfit looks a great deal like the traditional ceremonial garb of the Time Lords from Doctor Who?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Viadana Solacaire (Sargatanas)

I'm liking this game quite a bit so far, though only at chapter 1. Even on normal the game is quite tough. I'm having to actually grind for levels just to get through it.
    what kind of nation should we build? a good nation? a nation of plenty? a nation of muffled joy?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Chapter 1 Spoilers
    I think it's too early to have a spoilleriffic thread on Jobs in general, but I needed to point this out somewhere, it's been bugging me.

Does anyone else think that the Time Mage outfit looks a great deal like the traditional ceremonial garb of the Time Lords from Doctor Who?
    On that job's design...I've never really watched Doctor Who, but if what you say is true, then I appreciate the design of this job more. Until now, I just thought it looked incredibly stupid, but if this is indeed a reference, then kudos to the designer.

Reference or no, the design is awful looking.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's some that are tons worse...Like the Arcanist on males. The Conjurer, however, probably has my favorite design on Agnès.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Chapter 1 Spoilers

On that job's design...I've never really watched Doctor Who, but if what you say is true, then I appreciate the design of this job more. Until now, I just thought it looked incredibly stupid, but if this is indeed a reference, then kudos to the designer.
    Pictures Inside: Chapter 1 Spoilers
    BDFF_Ringabel_Time_Mage.pngtumblr_lqrtueJsqb1r1cn5wo1_500.jpg

There we go. Ok, so note the similarity of the primary lines of the outfits. Both feature two semi-circles, one above the head facing down, and one around the shoulders facing up. There's also a circular shape at the top center of the upper half-circle (the cutout on the Time Lord outfit, or the circular cylinder on the Time Mage outfit). And, of course, both wear skull caps covering the hair.

Since my characters first got this job, I was puzzling over why it looked familiar to me. But once I made the connection, I started laughing. I agree that it isn't necessarily the best design. But the similarity is enough for me to overlook that, especially since Time Mages have never had the best design.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 02-14-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That IS pretty neat...Although, the only thing I heard about their inspiration is that the headpiece was supposed to resemble a clock face. The designs do look similar, so I guess they blended the two concepts? It's interesting to wonder if they just came out like because they were inspired by the same thing, or if this is indeed a reference. Basing a time mage's look on a time lord's makes perfect sense, especially considering some of the ridiculously time-bending support abilities of this particular time mage.

Also, on topic, can we talk about how weird the job designs are? I mean, the male monk's got this cool Ashley Riot thing going on, but the female white mage's fur coat and cleavage window? Trashy! And that's not even going into Ringabel as an chapter 4 job spoilerArcanist. Behold the black magician onesies!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah, but there's a difference...The female Arcanists look like Victoria and they look fine. It's that combination of ridiculous clown hat and onesies that makes male Arcanists look positively terrible.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have just started playing. It's pretty fun. I got my first two jobs...and of course one of them is my least favorite job (Monk), but it's still better than Freelancer. The Brave/Default system is simple to understand but it adds an interesting dynamic to battles, especially since enemies can do it too.

Also the art style is gorgeous. I love the rendered character models set against the hand-drawn background.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Yay you're on board. Don't underestimate the Freelancer though. They get some pretty decent skills early on. Healing and treasure hunting I believe? Though if you're not a completionist and have a dedicated healer its probably not a big deal

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah I just got Ringabel so I changed Tiz back to Freelancer to learn Treasure Hunter and made Ring the monk.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They gets lots of useful passive skills. Probably the most useful of which is on level 7 or 10, I can't remember now.

lol at the beginning i was annoyed i couldnt give the characters new names and that you couldnt change their looks, as in clothing
    so that was like my first opinion

but later on i started to love this game like hell a lot, gurl
    this game is gonna be in my family for GENERATIONS