Thread: Command & Conquer (Series)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Command & Conquer (Series)

Let's talk about how awesome these games are.

I stumbled upon clips of the first game on YouTube. I cannot for the life of me remember how. I watched a bunch of the briefings and such from several games before I eventually got Command & Conquer: The First Decade, Command & Conquer 3, Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3. So, pretty much every game in the series minus the 4th one because the 4th one story felt so meh.

So far in the series I played CnC, Red Alert, Tiberium Sun, Red Alert 2 (barely), Generals, Tiberium War, Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3. I messed up and got Kane's Wrath and RA3 on the Xbox 360 when I should have gotten them on the PC. Can't even get past the first level on Kane's Wrath because of the stupid controls -throws Hope out a window- (I'm making that a thing).

Also...

KANE LIVES!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

LET'S GET SOME HELL MARCH UP IN HERE!

Great series; Red Alert 2 was my favorite I think. Also has (IMO) the best intro. "I DON'T GIVE A WOODEN NICKEL ABOUT YOUR LEGACY."

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Red Alert 2 was a thing of beauty. Nobody here but us trees! I'll be late for bread line! I played it for hours and hours. I even added my own mod with new units. My favourite was the one I gave to Cuba - a 747 that would kamikaze at the enemy. Quite why my 13 year old self thought Cuba was fond of such things I'll never know!

The expansion was a broken piece of trout though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Red Alert 2 was a thing of beauty. Nobody here but us trees! I'll be late for bread line! I played it for hours and hours. I even added my own mod with new units. My favourite was the one I gave to Cuba - a 747 that would kamikaze at the enemy. Quite why my 13 year old self thought Cuba was fond of such things I'll never know!

The expansion was a broken piece of trout though.
    Didn't like Yuri?

Articles

I liked the idea, don't get me wrong. And the campaign was full of fun, campy moments like Egypt, dinosaurs and The Moon, no complaints there. My issue was with multi. The Soviets were already weaker than the Allies in RA2 (marginally - Soviets had a strong early game, but once you got past the 5-7ish minute mark, gg, Allies will piss on you) and they took units away from the Soviets for YR, and actually added less new ones for them than they did the Allies. You compare the hero units: Boris - a man who can target a building, has to live for 10 seconds for MIGs - which can be shot down - to blow up a building to Tanya who can just C4 them instantly - oh and ships and tanks too, why not! - and it sums the whole thing up. ...not that it mattered, because Yuri was even more broken than the Allies.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah if you had even a moderate amount of ability, Allies beat Soviets Yuri will destroy anything. I love that game but you really need some house rules with YR because otherwise you're gonna have a bad time.

I actually love every C&C I've played except RA3, and I've played them all except Renegade and Tiberian 4. It's some seriously great classic RTS fare through and through and I will never not love the ridiculous cheesiness of the acting, the amazing soundtracks, and the genius of things like Obelisks of Light, Prism Tanks, or Libyans.

One of the things I've always appreciated about C&C - and of course other games have done it as well - is that they've always tried to have really distinct factions not only in aesthetic terms but in gameplay terms. In Warcraft II for example most of the differences between Alliance and Horde are visual and aural only, with just a few spells being actually different between the two (not to criticize WC2 as it's a timeless classic of the genre). Even when C&C fails to be properly balanced the factions are always crazy fun though, going right back to Tiberian Dawn.

Plus, RA2, best intro in gaming just as Pike says.

"You're throwing everything you've got at us, Alex!"

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

red alert 2 was fun, and every now and again i install it on a computer and fail a class because of it. for the most part my favorite westwood game is dune 2000. ATREDI FOR THE WIN

Articles
    Blog Entries

Allies are stronger than the Soviet? Well you can tell an American made it.

It's a shame how RA3 doesn't live up to the other two in the series because it has a lot of my favorite actors in it: Tim Curry, Jonathan Pryce, J.K. Simmons, George Takei. How the hell do you screw that up? Gemma Atkinson isn't bad to look at either.

Articles

Yeah, RA3 was a huge letdown. The actors were all sublime though. My favourite bit was in the intro with Tim Curry's face when he was told he was now Premier due to time travel.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'm going to tarnish this thread:

C&C4

Just when I was beginning to like EA again, they threw out C&C4.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I'm going to tarnish this thread:

C&C4

Just when I was beginning to like EA again, they threw out C&C4.
    C&C4 proves this is not a franchise that should be played 100% straight.

every night, when I go to bed, I kiss my Kane poster on my wall and whisper "I forgive you for command and conquer 4".

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

This series is my childhood. I wish RA3 was actually good
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I rmb I made a C&C thread before and got flamed.

People back in those days are so nasty.

It's such a shame they didn't continue the C&C series. EA Canceled the general 2. You know, one of the best things I remembered in the Generals game is that you can make unlimited units and build a massive army of tanks. Still, nowadays, RTS games have a unit cap. Does anyone know a game has a no-cap unit limit?