Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What was your first Final Fantasy?

I first watched my brother play FF VII, but he got stuck at the Chocobo ranch, couldn't cross the swamp. He later bought IX when it came out and I watched him play it all the time, then I started playing it myself, so it was my first Final Fantasy really. I remember all the time I spent with my brother, and how much I loved the world and got so immersed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

*cries*

*hides*
    What's wrong with 4 as your first bro? That's like half the thread. It's a good game, too.
    The massive numbers of the FF7 fandom scares me.

Seriously, though, I'm simply making reference to a certain spoony fellow who tends to cry and hide a lot.
    I've never understood the mass appeal that VII has. Maybe it was ahead of its time or something, maybe it's because I never finished it. I never found it truly remarkable as I did with my first playthrough of VIII.
    It was kind of a perfect storm of hype and drama, what with Square leaving Nintendo for Sony's camp and with the way FF6 (or 3, as it was then known) had gotten everybody's expectations running hot.

My expectations of it after VI has probably altered my opinion forever on it. I do like it, but I've never understood the hype.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    My expectations of it after VI has probably altered my opinion forever on it. I do like it, but I've never understood the hype.
    I feel the exact same way about VI tbh, never understood why so many people love it so.

Articles
    Blog Entries

VII was the first game in the franchise to go from 16 bit graphics to full 3D of what we had available at the time, combined with being the first RPG a lot of people played it was always destined to be huge one way or another. I'm also pretty sure that was around the time anime was still pretty hot in America and a lot of the FF games share plenty of elements with your average Japanese anime.

VI probably shared some contribution as well since going from one hot Final Fantasy game to another is good business.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Final fantasy X

i remember standing in the store with 2 final fantasy's in my hand, not being able to pick one.
    im very picky if it comes to games becaus im always afraid ill get dissapointed.

a guy saw me doubting and he came up to me and he gave me advice etc, and told me more about the game.
    so i bought the one he recomended ^^

i never finished this game becaus i got stuck at a boss, neve really atempted to get through that boss. and then i sold my ps2

i had no clue how to play Blitzball

luckely i can play the game a again on the 21st of march

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got caught up in the marketing campaign for FFVII so that ended up being my first. I remember when FFVI came out for the SNES though and remember it got 95% in Super Play magazine. Being a child though, I couldn't afford to buy the game myself. I really wish I could go back en experience that game as a kid. It would have blown me away more than FFVII, I reckon.

FF9. I could never afford to buy the game so I used to rent it (with my pocket money) every Friday to Tuesday from Blockbuster for about 6 months. Such an expensive way of doing it but I didn't care the game took over my life, 14 years on I still play it every other summer and 2014 is FF9 year ooooh yeah.

My first was X. I'm surprised I even finished it as I usually didn't have the patience for RPGs. Although after I beat X, and loved every minute of it, I couldn't touch another RPG for another few years.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Electroshock Therapy View Post
    My first was X. I'm surprised I even finished it as I usually didn't have the patience for RPGs. Although after I beat X, and loved every minute of it, I couldn't touch another RPG for another few years.
    I was so captivated by the story in X when I got stuck on a part I just inserted cheats so I could get past it and enjoy the rest of the story.

The game got back at me with the Bahamut temple.