Thread: Omega and Shinryuu

Dancing Chocobo Omega and Shinryuu

Hello there

So I just finished my second ever playthrough of FFV and I thought to try and beat Omega and Shinryuu for the first time. Also, I thought to beat Gogo in battle the hard way.

Gogo defeated! No challenge at all. No bonus will come to you however, besides knowing the trick to beating him the hard way (Mute).

Omega defeated! On my third try, without using any spellsword techniques! Katanas have a high chance of a critical hit, combined with quick and x-fight, you can really enjoy the critical hit sound effects come into action!

Shinryuu defeated! Without using any dragon lances, or even jump. Second try, once I knew of his initial attack, I simply equipped coral rings and mimicked the tactics I used against Omega.

I really enjoyed playing this game! A true shame it was never released in the SNES era outside of Japan.

So what did you guys think of the first ever superbosses in the Final Fantasy universe:

"The one without a heart, Omega. And the one who follows it, Shinryuu"

To this day, I have not even tried beating them. I think I should do it next playthrough. Also, congratulations on your victory!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I beat them both with Dual Wield + Sword Dance. I feel bad when I use Rapid Fire or Quick. Still haven't gotten around to trying Omega Mk. II and Neo-Shinryu though.

I'll probably play through the game again at some point, then I'll give Gogo Hard Mode a shot. Without Silence, of course.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quick is meant to be used, guys, if not it wouldn't have been in the game!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I think I did well considering this was my first attempt on FFV to best them and I did it without having to farm dragon lances, which I really can't be bothered to do (despite loving dragoons). Omega was a pain due to his "circle" attack, but he kept on missing on my fourth try. Shinryuu was... nothing.

As for "challenges", you have to admire people who take them on, but I count whatever the producers have thrown in the game as fair play. Besides "Slots" and "The End" (though it is funny to watch such things happen!)

Articles
    Blog Entries

While it may be fair play, I mostly don't get any satisfaction out of abusing broken game mechanics to beat superbosses. Other examples include Master's Scroll in FF6, Mime in FF7, Limit Break Looping in FF8, Zanmato in FF10, Cat Nip in FF10-2, etc. You can beat the superbosses SO EASILY with these things that it just takes the best part of the battle away.

For Omega specifically, you can eternally Stop him with Romeo's Ballad you know. If all you care about is your victory no matter the means, that's probably by far the easiest way to take care of him. It's just not for me.

I agree about Zanmato, Penance was no challenge anyway. Just a grind. A large, boring grind.

At least FFXII was not broken.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, there was Reverse.

Oh yes the lure/reverse trick? My bad. ^_^

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

True, but Reverse didn't make Yiazmat any more bearable... His Boredom attack is just killer no matter what tactics you use.

I remember Yiazmat getting 12 hit combos

I usually beat the game before going for the superbosses. I can beat many on my own. It took me some time to find the second shop in the cleft town to buy more coral rings. I even equipped Ice Shield for Shinryu. I copped out with SShot against Omega.

Any boss dies to a 'calculation' effect in Tactics. Magic did make FFVI easy, even against its superbosses. With any other games it requires waiting for it in the end. Since I write my own games I know to make them possible to beat.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75