Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superhero Movies: What is it about the number 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I know some people like Batman Forever....
    Yep. I'm one of them.

Also, I heard that Dark Knight Rises was horrible more because of major, vehement disagreements between the producers and directors (to the point where Nolan didn't even want to make the movie), rather than a simple case of it being a third installment.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Wait why are people hating on Iron Man 3 again? That movie was great. All three Iron Man flicks were great (although I think the first was probably the best).

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The Dark Knight Returns was great. Iron Man 3 was decent. All other third superhero movies blowed.

If Avengers 3 features Thanos and is the culmination of this entire Marvel film arc then it better be good.
    I thought Thanos was going to be in Avengers 2?

Yes, I'm one of them. But objectively I can see why some didn't very much care for it and it was still a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Also, I heard that Dark Knight Rises was horrible more because of major, vehement disagreements between the producers and directors (to the point where Nolan didn't even want to make the movie), rather than a simple case of it being a third installment.
    That's interesting. First time I heard of that. I always did feel like there was some... phoning it in, for lack of a better phrase? Even some of the scenes when I saw them for the first time in trailers didn't feel like they were finished editing...

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Wait why are people hating on Iron Man 3 again? That movie was great. All three Iron Man flicks were great (although I think the first was probably the best).
    I think it was mostly because of the Mandarin, the Iron Patriot (not 100# sure on that one), some obvious plot holes and the fact the plot copied The Incredibles. Don't think they very much cared for the ending either.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I thought Thanos was going to be in Avengers 2?
    Ultron. Thanos will be in the third one.

Also, about the Incredibles plot, I guess I can see how some could see similarities between a man abandoning his family to relive the glory of his hero days and having to be rescued by said family to (SPOILER)Tony Stark venturing off solo to take on the Mandarin and subsequently having to be rescued by his friend (and girlfriend at the end). Oh wait, I guess it was because that guy (SPOILER)at the beginning that Tony Stark snubbed ended up being the bad guy just like Buddy who worshiped Mr. Incredible ended up as Syndrome... wait... really..? That's the best comparison people could make. One aspect of the entire movie that seems vaguely familiar renders the whole plot the same as the Incredibles? I guess that's not the point, people were just disappointed with the main villain as a whole since the commercials heavily promoted the presence of the Mandarin. But, come on. Weren't the Ten Rings terrorist cell mentioned in the first Iron Man? Did people really expect to see actual rings with magical powers? Really?

If you go in not expecting anything, any movie can be good. Batman Forever... good. Batman and Robin... not so much. Superman III... I was a kid when I watched this so I don't recall my original opinion, but looking at it later, it's far too campy. AoD, while cheesy, campy, and lacking more than a C-note's-worth of production value, was pretty funny.

Spiderman 3, while I was disappointed in Spiderman 2 enough to think this last sequel couldn't be any worse, I just found myself wishing they had gone with just one villain. I will also never forgive casting Eric Foreman as Venom. I think he would have been interesting as Carnage though. Ah, who knows?

I like Iron Man 3, I liked DKR, AWE was better than DMC (... that's At World's End and Dead Man's Chest), The Last Stand was disappointing, I did not like Toy Story 3... blah blah blah
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't care what any of you say, Watchmen 3 was smurfing amazing.

The first one gets an origin story to soak up lots of screentime and give action thrills. The second one has the established mythology over with and moves on to a bigger villain and more developed love interest. All that's left for 3 is a crisis of conscious for the hero to overcome, so we have to sit through an hour of them not wanting to be a superhero anymore while some woman nags at them about something. It's just not an interesting formula. The poor women in these movies. We need a good, solid female superhero film already.

I see the Amazing Spider-Man going this exact route. (SPOILER)Gwen Stacey will most likely die as she does in the comics and Mary Jane will take her place for the third movie while Spider-Man mopes for most of it, wondering if he does more good than bad if it harms those closest to him.

If they ever made a Watchmen 3, it would absolutely have to be a prequel about the Minutemen. The pirate-themed animated Watchmen movie they released raped me to tears.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.