Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superhero Movies: What is it about the number 3?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Superhero Movies: What is it about the number 3?

While talking to... I think Psychotic, I noticed a funny coincidence with a couple of superhero movie franchises when it comes to their third installment.

The number three stinks.

For starters, Richard Donner's Superman and Superman II were considered to be great films and then Superman III was where it all went down the toilet and ultimately led us to Superman IV.

Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were critically successful and then we got Batman Forever which is where people note the movie franchise took a turn for the worse once again leaving us to the fourth installment which shall live forever in infamy.

Sam Rami's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 were also very successful leading us to Spider-Man 3 which was considered god awful and eventually caused an entire reboot to happen.

While hardcore X-Men comic book fans would probably tell you all the movies were crap, after you look past the changes the first two X-Men movies weren't all that bad. But it was X-Men: The Last Stand which is considered the worst and being followed up by the Wolverine spin-off didn't help.

Even The Dark Knight Rises suffers from, "Not as good as the first two" when it's brought up in conversation and now Iron Man 3 seems to be suffering from the curse of the number three with the general fan reaction to that movie. Why is that?

Well, in the case of Superman they tried to turn it into a comedy and that went about as well as you'd expect. With Batman they changed directors and wanted a more family friendly approach to the movie series after Batman Returns. Spider-Man suffered from trying to please too many people at once: Sam Rami wanted Sandman, the studio pushed for Venom and fans wanted to see Harry take over the mantle of the Green Goblin so it suffered for it.

X-Men also had a change of director by the time the third one came around and I think TDKR suffers from the insane expectations that it can never meet because of the first two films. Iron Man 3 was basically trying to be The Dark Knight Rises. It was when these films steered away from what worked or just had a change thrown on them or too much stuff going on or not being able to live up to expectations that caused things to go phew.

What's the point of this thread? I don't know. I just wanted a fun superhero movie thread so talk about superhero movies, the number 3 and funny coincidences you may have found.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn't a third movie pretty much always suck compared to the first two? Excluding movies that were always intended to be trilogies, like Lord of the Rings.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Spiderman 3 is still better than Spiderman 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Doesn't a third movie pretty much always suck compared to the first two? Excluding movies that were always intended to be trilogies, like Lord of the Rings.
    Can't say. I know Pirates were always planned to be a trilogy and 2 and 3 didn't work out as well as they hoped they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Spiderman 3 is still better than Spiderman 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Iron Man 3 was rip-out-your-own-tongue awful, but so was Iron Man 2 so not sure how well that measures in here. Also saying Bat Man 3 is better than Bat Man 2 is implying that either movie was good.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah but was Pirates always really planned out as a trilogy, or were they just like "Here's a movie idea! Let's make this one and then keep making them!"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah but was Pirates always really planned out as a trilogy, or were they just like "Here's a movie idea! Let's make this one and then keep making them!"
    I think it was always planned as a trilogy, or at least to have sequels. The title of the first one has the 'Curse of the Black Pearl' added on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

3 seems to be a bad number for super hero movies in general. I will say that Iron man 3 is actually my favorite of those movies. Granted, I've never read the comics and so the whole thing with everyone complaining about how the Mandarin (or whatever his name was) was portrayed didn't mean much to me. The friends I saw it with theorize that I like this movie best just because I'm not a huge fan of Tony Stark/Iron Man in general and I was able to see him get the trout kicked out of him consistently throughout the movie.

The only other third super hero movie I've seen is Spiderman 3. I actually kind of like the Sandman's portrayal in the movie. Sure the rest of the movie was silly and kind of bad at times, but it was still fun for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    3 seems to be a bad number for super hero movies in general. I will say that Iron man 3 is actually my favorite of those movies. Granted, I've never read the comics and so the whole thing with everyone complaining about how the Mandarin (or whatever his name was) was portrayed didn't mean much to me. The friends I saw it with theorize that I like this movie best just because I'm not a huge fan of Tony Stark/Iron Man in general and I was able to see him get the trout kicked out of him consistently throughout the movie.

The only other third super hero movie I've seen is Spiderman 3. I actually kind of like the Sandman's portrayal in the movie. Sure the rest of the movie was silly and kind of bad at times, but it was still fun for me.
    I thought Iron Man 3 was good personally, I only add it on to the list because of overall fan reaction to the movie. It took me a bit to even remember what Iron Man 2 was about. I'm not familiar with the comics (though I did watch the old cartoon show) either so the thing with the Mandarin didn't bother me, I thought it was a good twist. I did say to myself, "Oh, that's going to piss a lot of people off" when I saw it (and it did) but I still liked it.

Spider-Man 3 probably would have been a lot better had they just gone with Sandman and hold off on the others. No one got any half decent character development because of that. It didn't help that Sam Rami to my knowledge didn't like Venom and it shows with his portrayal. Worst casting choice ever for Eddie Brock and they basically made him Carnage.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think both Fellowship and Two Towers were better films that Return of the King.

The only final installment of a trilogy I ever thought was as good or better than the ones preceding it was Toy Story 3 which was an epic masterpiece of filmmaking.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, I hate carnage haha.

Anyways, I agree with you on the Sandman stuff. Sam Raimi wanted nothing to do with Venom, but Venom's a fan favorite and he was forced into including it. That's why the portrayal sucks, probably.

However, Spiderman 3 did give us a lovely scene with Bruce Campbell, so there's that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I second Toy Story 3 as a masterpiece.

Bruce Campbell was in all three of them. He's been with Sam Raimi since Evil Dead. Xena and Joxer made cameos in the first movie too, I think Joxer appeared in the second as well and I suck for forgetting there are two I's in Raimi.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm just going to throw it out there that Superman 2 wasn't all that good until the Richard Donner cut. And even that feels a little bit like more of a glimpse at what it could have been than the movie we actually could have had. Definitely recommend watching it though for anyone who hasn't. It's hard to see the original version as anything other than laughably bad after.

Anyway, I find, more often than not, that bad 3rd movies seem to be the result of either the original guys leaving, or producer meddling. You see both with the Superman movies, Bryan Singer leaving with X-Men, producers forcing Venom on Raimi in Spider-Man 3, and Tim Burton leaving Batman (though I don't actually like his movies either, they're better than Forever and Batman & Robin).

I did like The Dark Knight Rises quite a bit though, and Iron Man 3, while not as good as the others and perhaps a bit too out there in some spots, wasn't a bad movie, and The Mandarin was freaking brilliant.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Dark Knight Returns was great. Iron Man 3 was decent. All other third superhero movies blowed.

If Avengers 3 features Thanos and is the culmination of this entire Marvel film arc then it better be good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I know some people like Batman Forever....