Thread: a rant about how i hate yahoo mail

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default a rant about how i hate yahoo mail

Ok I've had the same yahoo mail account for ten years now. I've never had an issue with it until the past year when they got all uppity about passwords. I logged in one day and it was all "No you have to change your password now because it doesn't have an uppercase letter or a special character! It must have both!" So I changed my password and remember me'd it because smurf that stupid password and then the next time I clear my cookies and have to log in again I've forgotten it of course, and I have to change it again. Now I have to add security questions. They're all pre-selected stupid ass questions like "what was your first pet's name" or "what is your favorite color" or "what is your mother's maiden name." Essentially all things everyone in my whole family knows, you know, the people I don't want snooping through my emails. So I picked "where was your honeymoon" thinking heh heh I never went on one, they'll never guess what I put for this question. WELL NEITHER COULD I THE NEXT TIME AROUND. So then luckily I had a reset code sent to another email address and that website wasn't a TOTAL BITCH about it and let me in. So yeah I do that and get my reset code and change my password and log in, and it's all "oh hey you changed your password two months ago SOMEONE IS HACKING YOUR ACCOUNT YOU NEED TO GIVE US YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO YOU CAN RESET IT AGAIN" and I'm like "smurf you yahoo you're so mean to me" and left FOREVER

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Breakups are always hard. Get some ice cream and power through.

Signature by rubah. I think.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Years and years ago, Yahoo deleted all my emails because I hadn't logged in for a couple months. I forget how many months but it wasn't a super long time. I had graduated High School and started using my college email account and just sorta let the Yahoo one slide. And those smurfers deleted all my emails from middle school through high school. It broke my heart.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

WHAT those jerks

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

I think over the years I've managed to lock myself out of my hotmail account (ugh), as well as Aim, MSN...basically I've backed myself into a corner where Google is my only option now because all of my passwords and security questions were too random, whoops. I'd like to be able to read some of those old emails though!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I was just like, I am NOT going to put a smurfing sticky note on my monitor nope no not gonna be that person EVER

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

For some reason the Yahoo Mail app syncs with my phone contacts instead of my email contacts, so I can't send like any emails from my phone 'cause it's a different address book than the one I actually need. Bastards.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Good news, everyone! Hotmail deleted my entire account, but by some stroke of luck no one took my email address, the best email address ever!! So, everyone I used to email between 1998 and 2005, please forward me all of our emails!! Boo it would have been cool to stalk Greg though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hotmail deleted my account after what I felt was not an incredibly long amount of absent time. So I moved on to gmail, and I will never use anything else.

I also think some changes are a bit weird but I can live with it. Youtube changes on the other hand are more irrtating for me. At least is one more reason for me not to comment that much anymore.

Blog Entries

It pisses me off. A lot. Like strawberry cheesecake.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yahoo! Mail's recent changes have been a bit balls, but I haven't required a special character and I already use capital letters and numbers in my passwords by default, so I'm okay there. I'm luckily pretty good for remember passwords for the most part.

I agree the security questions are dumb as hell and this is a fairly internet-wide problem. I love it when they have custom questions allowed (and now that I think about it, I'm sure I have a custom question on my one) because I can put completely non-questions into the security question, like my current one of choice is simply *cough* which is not a question but a key word I would use with a certain person a long, long, long time ago and the password is a fairly unrelated but still easily remembered word associated with that person. Essentially it's pretty much unguessable without being me or doing some serious hacking.

I don't like Hotmail or Gmail, so I've stuck with Y!Mail through good times and bad. It's not as bad as the system they almost forced me to use, but it's still not as good as the old Y!Mail Classic which was just perfect (internet change is the worst). It has a few great things in it, though, like the 'Recent' bit which covers recent emails you've opened and whatnot. Beyond that, the bigges bonus of Y!Mail is that it's the one account I've used since 1997 and that means it has a massive archive of emails that I don't have to lose, and also people who haven't known me since high school have contacted me from time to time after they found my email in the yearbook which I found rather amusing.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I've never actually used Yahoo Mail. I used Hotmail for years - had Hotmail accounts before it was owned by Microsoft - and then switched to Gmail. I really wish there was a good alternative to Gmail though, because I'm trying to distance myself from Google as much as possible.

Blog Entries

I'm weird with email...

I open an account and I'll have the mind set of "this will be my new personal account. No putting my email into spammy online shopping sites, no signing up for stuff. NADA."

But then it happens and before I know it, Spam everywhere and I have to move on to a new account.

xD

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

*looks down*

I still use Hotmail even though it has become Outlook Express or something.