Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC VS Marvel!

Superman is DC, which is enough for me to say Marvel. There is no superhero with a worse design/power/weakness set than Superman.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just when you were growing on me Spuuky.

To be fair I've never read any of the obscure comics which the die-hards insist to me are worthwhile and redeeming, but every "challenge" that can be presented to an essentially omnipotent being is necessarily a contrived challenge. It's much more interesting when powers are minimized.

I guess Marvel suffers from power inflation of its own, though. The Hulk is no longer meaningful as a character when he's going through story arcs where he gets so angry that he can punch beings of pure energy, or Magneto can somehow suddenly control time, or whatever.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bad writers are always going to be bad writers really, and it's hard to write really powerful characters well I full admit. I mean, the death of Superman in particular stands as a moronic example of Superman and Doomsday just punching eachother to death.

But really powerful characters can be written well. Some of the better known examples being Dr. Manhatten and Morpheus from Sandman. But Superman also has some great examples. Red Son and All-Star Superman are two of my favourite comics and both jacked Superman's power levels to almost ridiculous heights. Kingdom Come is also a good Superman tale, largely because the problems they're trying to deal with are the sort of thing you can't power your way to victory in, and Superman's normally unerring sense of morality and desire to do what he thinks is right largely backfire on him leading to the situation spiralling completely out of control by the end.

Excellent reads that might change your opinion on Supes a bit. Though I would certainly say that barring a handful of writers I wouldn't touch most of the monthly Superman stuff. And I say that as a big Superman fan.

DC has gone far beyond "power creep" with Superman. All their years of resetting continuity, and they've still never thought to simply run a reboot on the fifty years of making him invincible and pulling new powers out of the writers' rear.

In general, I find that DC tends to have the more interesting story setups and concepts. Marvel, on the other hand, actually has interesting characters, character development, and personality. The best character that DC has is Batman, but even that is almost completely backstory and setup, as the guy hasn't grown or changed since he was written (and any attempt to do so is either massively rejected by the fanbase, or done for the sole purpose of resetting everything, as in the awful Widening Gyre arc). On the whole, I prefer the better character work, even if the stories themselves aren't as good.

However, I've stopped following most of the comics with any degree of regularity, and have no real interest in picking them back up at all. So I'll just end with saying that at least Marvel knows how to make decent movies.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    DC has gone far beyond "power creep" with Superman. All their years of resetting continuity, and they've still never thought to simply run a reboot on the fifty years of making him invincible and pulling new powers out of the writers' rear.
    Actually, they did do that with the Jon Byrne reboot in the 80's after Crisis on Infinite Earths. Most of the powers people had pulled out of their asses were gone, his strength was brought down to non-earth shattering levels, he was fast, but not speed of light fast, etc. That didn't last too long though and pretty soon writers gave in to the power creep again and have never really gone back on it. The closest they've come since was Morrison's stint on Action Comics during the New 52 reboot where a much younger Superman was portrayed as being much less powerful (while trying to stop a train for instance, it derails and smashes him into a building leaving him actually bruised and bloody as a result, and I don't think he could fly either. But even that was only meant to be temporary and he got progressively stronger as the series dealt with things from the current day in the New 52. Morrison's run on that story arc was still excellent though. But apparently most writers aren't happy unless Superman is a literal god. Which I guess is fine sometimes since the threats he often deals with are godlike in and of themselves, but most writers can't pull it off.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As much as I love Batman and the Justice League, I'm pretty loyal to Marvel. Spider-Man and X-Men are two of the best superhero comics ever and tell really great stories that I can identify with. The recent Marvel movies have also been really good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I think characters in Marvel continuity die more often than in DC. They come back of course, but DC only really kills off a character for the utter shock of it. It's never actually really that shocking though.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I prefer Marvel comic books, games, and movies to DC. A lot of the DC movies have been pretty crappy.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I haven't been interested in reading comics in years. While Batman and Lobo have always been some of my favorites, I tend to prefer Marvel much more than DC. Their world and characters just always seemed more interesting to me.

I still have my old Marvel vs DC graphic novel

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

In terms of video games Marvel wins in that department. The Arkham games have been great, but there were so many bad or forgettable DC games before that. Besides Arkham I can name DC Universe Online and Injustice as being good from DC. On t other hand the Marvel list is kind of long: Spider-Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, The Punisher, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Alliance 2, That X-Men RPG, X-Men Arcade, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Marvel vs Capcom (Didn't really like 2 or 3).
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 01-06-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Man, I've been meaning to play some of the recent Batman games that came out in the past 5 years. I Have played all the X-Men games from arcade to ps2 and have liked most of them, but I some how just couldn't find it in the budget for PS3 games until recently.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

DC has Superman which is way too overpowered. But I like his underwear. It is alway clean and spotless unlike mine.