Thread: How do you arrange your characters?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default How do you arrange your characters?

I am beginning Final Fantasy VIII again, and I am very particular about my characters. I have them each arranged a certain way. I also want them each to have 2 GF's, so I actually don't get every GF in game bcause of that (crazy, I know).

Do you arrange your characters a certain way? If so, how?

Here is how I do mine, aside from each having 2 GF's. I also take each magic spell and give 2 characters that spell. I try to make it so that they have an equal amount of spells (except Squall and Rinoa who have an extra because they are the main characters). Then I junction based on what is best. Because I'm a stickler for having 100 of each magic, I don't actually use magic other than for junctioning unless I can draw and cast it from the enemy. Which is kind of a bummer because I like magic.

As far as the GF's, they each have an order of characters they are assigned to, so that they always get points. Meaning, if Shiva is one of the two summons for Rinoa, if Rinoa is not in the party, I will send Shiva to character 2 on my list, if they aren't in the party, I send them to character 3, etc. But I don't allow the backup characters to actually summon the GF. It's just to have them junctioned so that they still get points.

Here is my character and GF setup if anyone cares:

Squall
    Cerberus
    Ifrit
    ---
    Aura
    Blind
    Break
    Death
    Demi
    Double
    Fire
    Fira
    Firaga
    Flare
    Pain
    Protect
    Quake
    Slow
    Stop
    Triple
    Ultima

Quistis
    Carbuncle
    Pandemona
    ---
    Dispel
    Double
    Flare
    Full-Life
    Holy
    Life
    Pain
    Reflect
    Regen
    Silence
    Sleep
    Thunder
    Thundara
    Thundaga
    Tornado
    Triple

Zell
    Cactuar
    Quezacotl
    ---
    Aero
    Berserk
    Bio
    Blind
    Confuse
    Drain
    Haste
    Meteor
    Protect
    Scan
    Slow
    Thunder
    Thundara
    Thundaga
    Tornado
    Zombie

Selphie
    Alexander
    Siren
    ---
    Aura
    Blizzard
    Blizzara
    Blizzaga
    Cure
    Cura
    Curaga
    Esuna
    Float
    Full-Life
    Haste
    Life
    Meteor
    Shell
    Sleep
    Water

Rinoa
    Leviathan
    Shiva
    ---
    Blizzard
    Blizzara
    Blizzaga
    Cure
    Cura
    Curaga
    Dispel
    Esuna
    Float
    Holy
    Meltdown
    Reflect
    Regen
    Shell
    Silence
    Ultima
    Water

Irvine
    Borthers
    Diablos
    ---
    Aero
    Berserk
    Bio
    Break
    Confuse
    Death
    Demi
    Drain
    Fire
    Fira
    Firaga
    Meltdown
    Quake
    Scan
    Stop
    Zombie

GF's in order of which character they go to:

Alexander
    Selphie
    Rinoa
    Quistis
    Zell
    Squall
    Irvine

Brothers
    Irvine
    Squall
    Zell
    Quistis
    Selphie
    Rinoa

Cactuar
    Zell
    Selphie
    Irvine
    Quistis
    Squall
    Rinoa

Carbuncle
    Quistis
    Selphie
    Rinoa
    Zell
    Irvine
    Squall

Cerberus
    Squall
    Irvine
    Quistis
    Zell
    Rinoa
    Selphie

Diablos
    Irvine
    Squall
    Quistis
    Selphie
    Zell
    Rinoa

Ifrit
    Squall
    Irvine
    Zell
    Quistis
    Rinoa
    Selphie

Leviathan
    Rinoa
    Quistis
    Selphie
    Squall
    Irvine
    Zell

Pandemona
    Quistis
    Zell
    Selphie
    Irvine
    Rinoa
    Squall

Quezacotl
    Zell
    Quistis
    Irvine
    Selphie
    Squall
    Rinoa

Shiva
    Rinoa
    Quistis
    Selphie
    Irvine
    Zell
    Squall

Siren
    Selphie
    Rinoa
    Quistis
    Zell
    Squall
    Irvine

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always had Squall paired with Shiva, Zell with Ifrit and Selphie with Quetzalcoatl. Apart from that they didn't really have a specific setup. Can't for the life of me remember who I gave Diabolos to.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always give Ifrit and Cerberus to Squall. Maximum Strength and Speed (not to mention Auto-Haste) for the character with the innate ability to hit for 150% damage seems great. Cerberus is pretty sick actually.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I always had Squall paired with Shiva, Zell with Ifrit and Selphie with Quetzalcoatl.
    Same for me.

I did it based on themes. Well, maybe it was just coincidental. Squall was paired with Shiva because he's a cold guy, Ifrit went with Zell because of his fiery attitude, and Quezacotl went with Selphie because they were both yellow themed.

In other playthroughs, I color coded all of them. Squall got Diablos, Rinoa got Shiva and Leviathan, Quistis got Siren etc etc

As far as magic goes, it was just kind of first come first serve. I would check and see if the magic would improve Squall's stats, and if not, I'd give it to the next person in my party. The way that I drew magic was completely random. I just thought "I haven't selected this name in a while".

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    I always had Squall paired with Shiva, Zell with Ifrit and Selphie with Quetzalcoatl.
    Same for me.

I did it based on themes. Well, maybe it was just coincidental. Squall was paired with Shiva because he's a cold guy, Ifrit went with Zell because of his fiery attitude, and Quezacotl went with Selphie because they were both yellow themed.

In other playthroughs, I color coded all of them. Squall got Diablos, Rinoa got Shiva and Leviathan, Quistis got Siren etc etc

As far as magic goes, it was just kind of first come first serve. I would check and see if the magic would improve Squall's stats, and if not, I'd give it to the next person in my party. The way that I drew magic was completely random. I just thought "I haven't selected this name in a while".
    Kid Me: Stats? What are those? *keeps pressing X*

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel like I do something slightly different every time, but now I get in the habit of giving three of the characters all of the GFs. I then just junction exchange every time you have two parties you are switching control between. I do tend to always pair up each character of my main party with a character in the secondary party with junction exchange. Who I have in each party is different each time I play the game, though. The only time this could become an issue is with the Ultimecia fight since your party is random. Honestly, I still keep only 3 people junctioned with all of the GFs for that fight, and anyone who appears in the fight who isn't junctioned with anything I just personally kill off until the party I want is rotated in.

I actually give Squall Quetzalcoatl every time though, I'm pretty sure. That's what I did in my first playthrough and I just like to keep that tradition.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I have three guidelines

*GFs mostly distributed evenly between 3 active party members in a manner that lets them junction to as many stats as possible
    *Prioritize strength oriented GFs/Magic for Zell, when he isn't in the party, switch his set to Irvine
    *Prioritize magic for Rinoa, when she isn't in the party, switch her set to Selphie

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I have three guidelines

*GFs mostly distributed evenly between 3 active party members in a manner that lets them junction to as many stats as possible
    *Prioritize strength oriented GFs/Magic for Zell, when he isn't in the party, switch his set to Irvine
    *Prioritize magic for Rinoa, when she isn't in the party, switch her set to Selphie
    I do this pretty much exactly. My main three characters hold everything and are built to cover every stat and be as balls awesome as powerful, and then I just use the Switch command whenever the party set up changes. The other characters just exist as magic mules

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Kid Me: Stats? What are those? *keeps pressing X*
    Now that I think about it, I was the same way in my earliest playthroughs. I just attacked my way through regular battles and spammed GFs for boss fights.

On my most recent playthrough I junctioned magic to myself and barely used GFs in battle, though I definitely learned their abilities. I used GFs on some boss fights simply because I liked that their HP shielded mine.