Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of KH2

Quote Originally Posted by Botchmun View Post
    mechanically, KH2 was vastly, VASTLY superior. Kingdom Hearts was clunky and awkward to control, I seriously appreciated the game starting on Tutorial Island and giving me time to get up to speed and adjust to the stiff movements and timing of Sora's swings and steps. KH2 made the game feel a lot more smooth without becoming overly floaty, you were able to run and jump a lot more easily and combat was more fun with more movement and moves in general. The quick-time event attacks were the only quick times in gaming that I ever liked ever, and the magical color clothes system made me actually like going around and grinding up form levels.

That being said I say Kingdom Hearts L'Original was the superior game story and pacing wise. I grew to hate rocks-ass when I found out how long the tutorial ran for, and I didn't like how the game dwelt far more heavily on the final fantasy characters over the Disney characters and Original Character Do Not Steals. I'm hoping KH3 doesn't come down with a case of the Donut Steels but I'm not holding my breath over that... Either way this thread makes me want to replay the two main games on my old, old PS2.
    Me too ^^

Articles
    Blog Entries

Kingdom Hearts 2 was a game I really liked the first go-round, but I find it very hard to start up a new game. While I think many of the gameplay improvements were better; ie, the faster gummi ship levels, the better camera, etc, I found the new elements to be kinda lacking. KH2 felt a lot more button mashy to me, and the only time I ever used magic was for Cure. Otherwise I'd be using Drive to dual wield keyblades, and kept mashing X. I also didn't think the story was as solid as the first two games, but overall, it was still an enjoyable experience.
    Returners Represent!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I enjoyed and played KH1 a hell of a lot more. I did all the optional bosses and beat the game twice. I used to love fighting Sephiroth - it was a real challenge for me at first, and when I finally did it I was over the moon and it soon became my favourite way to level up. In KH2 I was psyched to face Sephiroth again - I could never even be bothered. That's not to say KH2 wasn't fun but it didn't quite have the magic that KH1 had.

I really liked and enjoyed this game when I was about fourteen years old, but today it's a bit cheesy and the storyline is a badly written mess, and the intro is way too smurfing long, like a hour long for crying out loud.

But it's not awful or anything, and it's nice to see new Disney worlds and Disney characters, just not really a fan of the whole Org XIII thing.

Kingdom Hearts was better without them.

Also what they did with Setzer was unforgivable, turning him into a Bishie that cheated at a kid's game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked it until the handheld titles came out and reminded why I really liked this series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only played II, a bit of one of the ones for the DS and a little bit of KH1. I keep wanting to play the first one but something always happens, in this case, the only disc we own that is scratched is KH2 and I can't get off the island at the beginning. It freezes up.

I really like KH2. I like the Nightmare Before Christmas world, Beauty and the Beast World, a whole bunch of others. I like how their apperances change depending on the world too.

I don't like the part with Roxas at the beginning.

Come to think of it this game is a little too American.

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post

How can it be ? There's no main girls with green hair that you need to rescue and it doesn't feel like Star Wars

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-cracks knuckles-

~The game has very enjoyable combat that feels way more fluid and responsive than KH1. KH1s combat always felt too stiff for me.
    ~Magic is actually really useful in this game and the new MP bar flows with the combat really well.
    ~The game is WAY too easy, though this is fixed by the critical mode that we dont have.
    ~Goofy and Donald exist, and I really wish they didnt.
    ~I hated revisiting the worlds. It felt like padding, and it meant I had to revisit port royal again.
    ~I disliked the number of times "hearts" and "sora, donald, goofy" is repeated throughout.
    ~This game had Demyx, and Demyx is amazing.
    ~Sora was extremely annoying and bland in this. In KH1 Sora had character, in this he just feels like a cardboard cutout.
    ~The final boss was SO ENJOYABLE. Heck, all of the "final boss" level deal was an absolute blast.
    ~I love the forms in this game and the skills they add.
    ~The game needs more optional bosses like KH1. This is, again, fixed with FM.
    ~There wasnt enough Demyx, you can never have too much Demyx.

So yeah, the game is fun but way too easy and a bit shallow. Most of the issues I have with the game are fixed in FM however.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luna Devika (Sargatanas)

I enjoyed KH2 over all. To say it was my fave in the series thought might be a stretch. When i first picked it up i was really confused by the 3 hours of game play as Roxas, but then i hadn't kept up on my homework with the news then. I liked the Gummy ships of KH2 over KH. Feels more like Star Fox to me and I killed at Star Fox as a kid. I guess the second one felt and was more polished than the first. That really makes the difference to me.

So this is love and See you space cowboy were made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post

How can it be ? There's no main girls with green hair that you need to rescue and it doesn't feel like Star Wars
    Lol, KH2 didn't feel american and star wars too me, so i let that one pass
    Maybe because most americans haven't nerded this out on the internet, and seems more international workable
    Edit: I think "Persona" series can be considered american
    Never tried them though. But they sure have a lots of americanos on that list :P
    But play what you think is fun either way, lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svki4Rp9tlU

I enjoyed KH2 over all. To say it was my fave in the series thought might be a stretch. When i first picked it up i was really confused by the 3 hours of game play as Roxas, but then i hadn't kept up on my homework with the news then. I liked the Gummy ships of KH2 over KH. Feels more like Star Fox to me and I killed at Star Fox as a kid. I guess the second one felt and was more polished than the first. That really makes the difference to me.
    Cool
    Last edited by Niale; 01-14-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

How do you even function? Why do you keep using "American" as an insult? How is Persona, one of the most Japanese RPGs out there, American?

Somebody just kill me now!

Anyway, on topic. I agree that the game was much more polished than KH1, especially the Gummi Ship sections. And while I do like it, I still think KH1 did a better job with atmosphere, CoM when it comes to story and pacing, while the succeeding games were all better overall, with the tiny exception if coded, which was still pretty solid a game, anyway.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

What I liked about KH2

- Riku's character development
    - Kairi's brief development beyond the girlfriend stuck on Destiny Islands
    - Seeing and learning more of Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden
    - The 100 Heartless Fight
    - The new Gummi Ship system
    - The intro FMV
    - The World that Never Was

Things I didn't like about KH2

- Combat was just a sordid affair of flailing around pressing Triangle to win as soon as a reaction command popped up
    - Drives further trivialised combat
    - The oversynthesized/post-processed music that sounded way less orchestral and fantasy than in KH1
    - The story was way too much of a convulated mess (even having played Chain of Memories) and it feels like 358/2 and Re: Coded were shoehorned to clear that up
    - Sora seemed rather bland as a character

Overall I enjoyed KH2 a lot, but it missed a certain charm that KH1 had and that wasn't really re-captured until Birth By Sleep for me.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I loved the prologue with Roxas. My favorite part of the whole series c:

I wanna see some real character development for Sora. So far it's like, things are happening to him, lots of really important things, but I don't feel like he's growing as a person y'know? I feel like Riku is the only character in the game that's being changed by his experiences. And that's really my one and only tiny gripe about the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I loved the prologue with Roxas. My favorite part of the whole series c:

I wanna see some real character development for Sora. So far it's like, things are happening to him, lots of really important things, but I don't feel like he's growing as a person y'know? I feel like Riku is the only character in the game that's being changed by his experiences. And that's really my one and only tiny gripe about the series.
    I also love the Roxas thing. It's the single best written part about KH2. I have no idea why people hate it.

Sora does get some development in 3D. Granted, Riku gets more agains, but there is more to Sora's character now than ever before.