Thread: Tell me which housing areas you prefer and why!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Tell me which housing areas you prefer and why!

First of all, let me know your Free Company. Then, let me know - in order - which of the three housing areas you prefer and why/why not.

For me...

1. Gridania - It's super pretty. It looks like a lot more time was spent on it by the devs than the other areas.

2. Ul'dah - It's right next to our FC's GC and I spend most of my time in Ul'dah markets, so it's convenient for that, too. It's also cheaper to get to the other areas due to Ul'dah's central nature. I like The Goblet on a sunny day, but feel it's overall aesthetically rather drab.

3. Limsa - Those canals do my nut in and the beach isn't as amazing as I had hoped. Just a long white slab of sand, really. Like Ul'dah, I feel that a lot of the area is a bit dull compared to what I was expecting.

For me, FC Housing should probably be in Ul'dah because of the convenience factor, but I can't deny that Gridania is making it super tempting to swing it out that way. Of course, I'd like personal housing to be in a different area than FC Housing so I'm thinking I'll end up with personal housing in the personal preference location and the FC Housing in the more convenient place. I'm still open to mass opinion, though, so Fat Chocobos, be sure to let me know what you think!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Something to keep in mind is that there's more to the housing than just browsing the neighborhoods. Look up how some of the houses look in context.

I personally like Gridania. It's where my personal house will be one day and I think it looks nicest, but whatever everyone else wants is fine too. I'm not so strongly opinionated on the topic enough to fight hard for one over the other.

Ul'dah, while in a convenient location is the least visually appealing to me for what it's worth. Limsa and the beach thing just isn't my thing and from what I've seen, it feels done to death. It's too bright for my taste.

FFXIV Character

Valerna Softpaws (Sargatanas)

Mist (Limsa Lominsa)
    gives me this holiday feel. The music is relaxing, the soothing waves of the sea... Might be biased there because I find the sea very soothing and I live near the sea irl. Always had this bond with the sea (when angry go to the sea, if I need to think go to the sea) (no not because my gc is The Maelstrom ) Only thing that kinda 'bugs' me is that he beach girls there are Miqo'te ._. But no deal breaker for me.

Lavender Beds (Gridania)
    feels like a fairy tale and expecting to see fairies flying around, dragons appearing out of nowhere and bumping into a Knight in shining armor on a white horse. One negative thing I have is that it feels they overdid it with the flash colors compared to the other areas. All those flashy colors kind of take away the soothing feeling of a forest to me. (might just be me though) I kinda miss the chirping of birds here and sounds of the wind fluttering through the trees and shaking the leaves. Maybe they added that and haven't heard but in my stay there I didn't hear it.

The Goblet (Uldah)
    reminds me of this hotel/resort I stayed in on my trip to Egypt, so reminds me of everything Egypt. But when I look a bit further it gives of the feel of a place for the wealthy because everything is so linear. I do like this one place with the waterfall. Also reminds me of Alladin

Will be a tough choice, that's sure. But I'm planning to make my personal housing be somewhere else then the FC one. So my point being... I don't rly have a preference as to where the FC housing is. But for convenience sake I would pick Uldah because our FC is aligned with that GC.
    Last edited by Valerna; 12-27-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to say what I would pick (lol)

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I have to go with Gridania, it's just sooo beautiful. And it means being close to the Sylphs, people! The Sylphs!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Gridania. Always Gridania.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Gridania. It looks lovely, it has a real sense of fantasy and adventure - yet home and warmth too it.

Ul'dah just looks bland and boring.

Limsa Lominsa is okay but I agree it could've been a bit more detailed. It just feels like a holiday resort, not the type of place adventurer's would hang out.

I really don't get Ul'dah being convenient though, I hardly ever go there at all anymore except for my PLD class quests. I see way more FC'ers in Gridania and Limsa Lominsa than I do Ul'dah. Mor Dhona and Coerthas is where most max level people have to travel too and Gridania is closer to both of them. Plus at company Rank 8 we get Reduced Fees II for teleporting so the cost of teleporting will likely become a non-issue by that point.

Having said all that the large houses in Limsa look really nice. Legacy recently purchased a large slot there:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Convenience: Cheapest average price to the other locations when teleporting and yes, there are a lot of people from our FC in Ul'dah as well as the other regions - they're fairly split. Which means that if we opt for Limsa or Gridania, we'll be forcing the people from the opposite location to spend a lot of gil indeed. Not to mention our FC belonging to the Immortal Flames, meaning we have to go there to top up on things.

It's perhaps worth noting that in the long run, I think we'll be able to get large housing for all three locations. That's quite a long run though. xD

EDIT: I'll say it again, I want your opinions of all three locations, not simply "Gridania." Especially if it's also your Grand Company and/or starter location.

FFXIV Character

Lumos Lightheart (Sargatanas)

Ok, me and Vin have now visited all housing areas.

I'm posting my own personal opinions/impressions. I will say my/our personal housing will be in Gridania either way, so I'm not pressed. Although I'd love for the FC house to be in Gridania, as well.

My honest impressions of both Limsa and Ul'dah are they they were both extremely "stark". Like one of those "new neighborhoods" that are lovely and impressive, but no heart. Too many trees removed for the construction process. "Too sunny" if that can be considered a negative. Has anyone seen the show Arrested Development? They reminded me of the Bluth's housing project out in Arizona/New Mexico with nothing else around, no trees, no personality. Just completely un-inviting. *EDIT* word came to me ... "plastic".

I loved Gridania's area because it feels inviting, real and friendly. Not uppity. Not resort-like. It feels like home, not a place to visit.

This is my "objective" impression. It's honestly what I think, I'm trying not to be biased, lol.

Last edited by Lumos; 01-02-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: additional thought!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I'm very fond of the Limsa Lominsa houses because it reminds me of the high value properties in my own town, especially with the beach. But Gridania is also very pretty. I'd be happy with Ul'dah too because it's a very convenient location.

I wound up grading them in about the same order as Loony... although I'm kinda tied on Gridania and Ul'dah... Normally I'm all about trees, and my FC is the Twin Adders, but Ul'dah's looked really nice as well. I'd personally be happy with either of those two (over all I wouldn't be grumpy if we chose any of them, though)

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    EDIT: I'll say it again, I want your opinions of all three locations, not simply "Gridania." Especially if it's also your Grand Company and/or starter location.
    What if my starter location is Gridania, my Grand Company is in Limsa, and I favour Ul'dah just so that I'll have some tie to all three cities and don't mind what it looks like?

Hell, I even got used to Asstok after a while.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Just give me your opinions of each area. If you don't give opinions of all three areas, it's hard to get an accurate picture of how people feel about each area.

Eh, my smurfs are non existant. None of them I think look all that great anyway, so I'll go with Ul'Dah for convenience, and Rauhban gave my favorite speech of the three.