Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do missiles take?

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default How long do missiles take?

Today whilst playing FFVIII, I blew up a Missile Base. Then I sent Quistis and Zell with Squall to Balamb Garden to warn them about impending missiles. However, before I did that I popped into Balamb to play Triple Triad and chat with Ma Dincht and the Big Bad Rascal's mother whilst missiles flew towards Balamb Garden.

However, in the grand scheme of things, Squall and co had time to get a train all the way to Balamb, fight a bunch of Grats, and find out the Garden could fly before those missiles arrived.

Does anybody else think that Galbadia needs the people running their efficient train service running their missile bases from now on? One seems a lot better run than the other.
    Last edited by Heath; 12-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Galbadia never seemed to have all of their ducks in a row in the first place. Their Garden invasion was poorly executed, their desert prison is poorly manned, and their missile base has no security whatsoever. Tax dollars put to their finest uses!

It's nice that their train service functions well, though. That's what's important to the people.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I agree that their visible public services are very well run, and do seem to have high levels of customer satisfaction. Their other justice and defence organisations seem awful though.

I think they spent too much money on those fancy hoverpack things and motorbikes. They're flashy and eye-catching, but as a citizen I'd like to think they could carry off an invasion of a school reasonably effectively.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The missiles will come when they come, just be patient.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I agree that their visible public services are very well run, and do seem to have high levels of customer satisfaction. Their other justice and defence organisations seem awful though.

I think they spent too much money on those fancy hoverpack things and motorbikes. They're flashy and eye-catching, but as a citizen I'd like to think they could carry off an invasion of a school reasonably effectively.
    Agreed. Money could have gone to weapons and armor instead of silly little crotchrockets.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think there's a general problem with the way the military works in the world of Final Fantasy VIII. The guys from dollet get creamed by Galbadia, and then a bunch of rookie school kids come along with plot armour and weapons and wipe them out. Seifer was right: orders be damned, they could've taken the whole smurfing city back.

The actual Garden battle went okay for them. I mean, being able to assault from the most ridiculous of places aided them (though a Garden battle is pretty ridiculous in the first place) but they didn't have the heroes. I mean, it's basically dynasty warriors syndrome -- Seifer on his own can't stand up to that many "generals" and no amount of mooks can keep Squall and co down. They needed to ram the Garden, knock Rinoa off, and then capitalise on the low morale. Fujin and Rajin were sorely missed in that battle.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

A Galbadian missile is never early. Nor is it on time. It arrives precisely two seconds too late!!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This shows how bad trabia garden is too. With how slow those missiles were flying, they should have had plenty of time to see the missiles and evacuate.

Also, I think it important to note that while the galbadia military in the missile base in general can't seem to be arsed to do anything, they do have time to post videos of themselves dancing in their important computers.

The better question is when they can destroy super bosses why can't they cast a spell or cut through the missiles to just destroy them?

Plot device.

Their battle dimension immunity has nothing to do with not being able to destroy the missiles. The attacks are always what they can do. They are a demonstration of power.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-28-2013 at 01:25 AM.

That's simply gameplay and story segregation which is present in all FFs.

It's why you can be shot in battles and it does a few HP damage while it is almost always dangerous or fatal in cutscenes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's pretty smurfing hard to see missiles in the snow though

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Having reflected on this further, I think the Galbadian Events Management Team do an okay job. They put on a decent party for Edea, and didn't let small issues like a presidential assassination or giant rock lizards coming to life get in the way.

Certainly some real lessons that could be learnt by the military. They couldn't even get Laguna the right map for his recon work.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Having reflected on this further, I think the Galbadian Events Management Team do an okay job. They put on a decent party for Edea, and didn't let small issues like a presidential assassination or giant rock lizards coming to life get in the way.

Certainly some real lessons that could be learnt by the military. They couldn't even get Laguna the right map for his recon work.
    You raise some good points. Also, side track for a moment: are Iguions fought at any other point? Because like, um, why is there a card for them otherwise?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Iguions are never fought at any other point in the game. Or in any other Final Fantasy game for that matter as far as I know.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

SO WHAT ARE THEY STATUES OF. WHY IS THERE A CARD BASED ON STATUES.