Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the fansites gone?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

It's still hilarious that he ended up owning it after the amount of drama he caused, either directly or indirectly.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Some would say the rise of social media has contribute to the decay of forums.

And some would be right. That I do agree with.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

There's something ~special~ about this kind of format though. It's a little bit warmer.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I ate them all.

Blog Entries

yeah TFF is still alive and kicking, but barely, I would say. It was a lot more active when I first joined, though.. Activity there died a lot since then..

EnixOrigins is pretty poppin' but I don't post or lurk around there anymore.. I think I stayed a member for like a day, some stuff happened, and I quit going there.

I think TLS, KHInsider, & EnixOrigins are about as active as EoFF... I'm a member at KHInsider as well, but I rarely log in and post.. Everyone's really nice there even though I don't really know anyone personally enough to gauge their personalities. And TLS I genuinely like a lot too... There's no swear filters. XD And everyone's really nice as well. I think I'm still in the "newbie" stage there though.. I haven't been there as long as I've been here or TFF.

UltimateFinalFantasy (UFF) is still around, but they moved their forums to a different site/server.. It seemed to have picked up after the move, but it's been ages since I've logged in there.. I just always forget about it and I'm too lazy to log in there. I have one of the members on my FB though.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

My first ever final fantasy forum was the FFVII Cove, after completing the game I went nuts after its secrets, saving every single secret and doing everything I could to completely complete the game, I remember they had midi music played in the background and I always loved that, they had so much to offer. It was imo (though I may be remembering through rose tinted glasses) the best FFVII experience via a website I have ever encountered. It also had some excellent fan fiction.

After it got shut down I drifted for a few years till I encountered EoFF and have never looked back since.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I keep reading the thread title as where have all the fantasies gone.

Anyways, EoFF is the only fansite forum I've ever joined, at least for final fantasy. I joined the Legendary Frog forum when I was in like sixth grade or something, but I never posted or anything I don't think. And then after that I joined a roleplaying forum that a few of my friends were a part of. I was never concerned with finding any other forums.

I did get on FF VII Citadel a lot as a kid, back when I first started playing FF 7. I don't know if they had any forums, but the website was something I found a lot of fun to look at. That's where I heard about most all of the rumors for the game. I'm pretty sure it's still around, but I don't know if they update it or anything.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Now that you mention it, I used to (many MANY years ago) go to a few other FF sites / forums. But none of them seem to exist anymore! Wonder what happened?!

I think social media does take the spotlight from fansites, but I personally prefer fansites. It feels to me like any one can join/jump in social media related to the series, but only dedicated fans would take the time to join a fansite and those are fans I like to get to meet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Only one I recognized that has been mentioned here is the Final Fantasy Forums. Eventually lost interest and became inactive, never felt very welcomed there to begin with. Not like here. I remember one guy who were always blaming Western gamers for the fall of Final Fantasy.

:monster:

Final Fantasy Forums was started and/or originally run by some dude who was notorious for sending PM advertisements to literally hundreds of people on other forums. There was a ton of drama around that place back in the day. I think I have an account there but I'm pretty sure I never posted.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries

omg You -were- over there~! I thought I recognized your name, I just couldn't put my finger on it though!

Articles
    Blog Entries

In my ignorance I made a Tifa/Aerith poll in the VII board there asking people which one they liked better and that went about as well as you'd expect.

yeah I remember when FFF took on new management or whatever you want to call it. I was never super active on there but I'd periodically post when my interest iNn FF was peaked.

I posted my Seifer/Squall analysis on there, FFShrine, FFOnline, here and I think FFRepublic. Everyone liked it. I was so proud.

God even now I am ashamed of myself from only a few years ago. I bet come 2018 I will be cringing over my posts from this year.