Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the fansites gone?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Default Where have all the fansites gone?

I was a bit out of touch for about a decade, but http://ffonline.com is gone and http://www.ffwa.org/ is a shambles. Those sites used to rival or dwarf EoFF. What happened to them?

Is EoFF the largest current FF fansite because the others are all dead? Or is there a big alternative that I haven't chanced upon?

Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/FFOnline:
    Just to remind some people that might have been missed. Due to the hacking death of FFO, we've moved over to Gaming and RPG News Community | Final Fantasy Society
    Though its still looks behind eoff
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The Final Fantasy is still going.

NovaCrystallis is the biggest one in terms of pure news at the moment.

I would not be surprised if we were the largest, but EoFF has always been the best that I can remember. Back when I lurked around different forums and sites trying to find a home, there was little competition. Weather it has been the posters or how the forums were set up, all of them were weak in comparison to here. I did like a number of smaller sites that were based mainly around one or two titles, but they definitely were never designed to support fans of the complete series.

Back in the day i probably joined around five or six FF forums, this one included and also counting a site called RPGDreamers which I think is still around. I joined here after FFShrine, which is still around although it seems this is probbly due to their excellent music pirating.

Fansites in general seem to have gone out of fashion. When I first became an FF fan and was obsessed with FFVII about 11 years ago, all I ever visited was fansites. There were Sephiroth shrines and sites to get MIDIs and all that cool stuff. But with the popularity of wikia and YouTube, I think a lot of fansites are unnecessary now because you can get all the cool stuff you want from there. Unless your series isn't lucky enough to have a good wiki. Star Ocean needs one for example. I had to use a fansite just yesterday to look up the names of the voice-actors in SO2 and it's remake.

Shinji is the dub voice of the SO2 main guy in the PSP remake. That's cool.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah lococolt's is still going and has a decent community but most fansites have moved from being a community and have become more of a online news resource.

:monster:

I admin The Lifestream, which is still in pretty good shape considering there hasn't been any Compilation-related news in literally years. On the other hand I went back to FFWA a few years ago and found it pretty much completely unpostable.

I think KH Insider may still be doing fairly well, and I'm pretty sure they have Final Fantasy coverage.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

FinalFantasyForums is still around too.

But The Lifestream people have all been around and together for like eight years or so. I remember back when there were separate sites for DoC, AC and etc.. I doubt they will be going anywhere any time soon simply because it's run by a small, dedicated group of friends who have all been doing this crap forever.

Blog Entries

This was the first FF forums I found.. and the last

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would agree that fansites themselves seem on the decline, and that we are the number one fansite purely because there are few others to compete with.

Even so, if both Final Fantasy and their fansites were still all going strong, I think we'd be in a top number with some other competitors. Despite the constant "we're dying as a site" mentality that I think people compare to whatever they claim as their Golden Age, I think the site is doing incredibly well, and that we'd be doing even better if we had a number of top competitors to rival with.

I'm also of the opinion that fansites in general seemed to be in a decline. I joined a few other sites years ago and they are either completely gone or pretty much at an end (and so you have me here!). I also remember a site I never joined called Final Fantasy Republic and years ago it was really crowded, I actually went looking for a smaller community to join; don't know how that is going now. I don't know, and I don't think, there are any other places as big as this one as of now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I miss FFOnline. I was never on the forums, but that site was what actually got me in to Final Fantasy.

FF Republic still exists, but the owner unceremoniously removed everyone else from staff which pretty much eliminated any chance of the place ever being revived since there's no one to clean up spambot crap now. I'm not even sure why they're keeping the place up if they're not going to do anything with it; they're certainly not cleaning up spambot posts themselves.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Oh man, Edman owns FFR now? That is hilarious.

No, he hasn't owned it for years. The person who bought it from him took over his account and didn't change the name. Edman has owned it on two separate occasions, though.