Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default FINAL FANTASY X-3: Definitely, Maybe

FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 HD Remaster hit stores in Japan this week and already shockwaves are rippling through the fan community. For once that's not dramatic journalism, some actual figurative bombshells have been dropped - namely the prospect of a sequel, or even prequel, to the FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 storyline!

The rumor mill started whirring into action following an interview with series write, Kazushige Nojima, in the HD Ultimania book released alongside the HD remaster. In it Nojima briefly hits upon the topic of a third entry in the series, citing Square Enix's tried and tested "fan demand" corporate slogan. Basically if fans express enough interest then there could possibly be "new developments" in the world of Spira. He goes as far to say that he would personally like to see a sequel such as FINAL FANTASY X-3.

Technically Nojima has already penned an indrect sequel in the form of the newly released novel, FINAL FANTASY X-2.5 ~The Eternal Calm~. The novel takes place directly following the events of X-2. However, the prospect of X-3 has certainly set the community ablaze.

Further tantalising details came to light when the long-teased 30 minute voice drama featured at the end of HD Remaster's credits, was posted online. Based on what has been translated so far; Sin has somehow returned to the world of Spira. Tidus and Yuna call off their relationship as Yuna sets off on another journey to defeat Sin... again. The voice drama was written by Nojima himself and takes place after the events of X-2 which, coupled with The Eternal Calm novel, seek to expand the universe created in FINAL FANTASY X. If you actually needed a reason to pick up the HD Remaster when it hits western shores in March 2014, you've now got one!

Our forums are currently buzzing with speculation about what X-3 could entail, and most posters are decidedly in the "smurf yeah, day one purchase" camp right now. What are your thoughts?

Here's the extended voice drama in all it's Japanese glory for your listening pleasure:

[Sources:
    Final Fantasy X Scenario Writer On The Possibility Of Final Fantasy X-3 - Siliconera
    Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster voice drama spoilers leak out, suggest sequel is inevitable | Nova Crystallis ]

If it is done it should be done as a prequel with Jecht, Auron and Braska. X-2 had some decent fight mechanics, but I never cared for the story, but even in FFX I looked forward to getting Jecht spheres just to watch that story unfold so I'd be on board if it was concerning this. XIII-2's story was very sloppy too, so I really hope they have some decent writers on the job and not just a few people slapping together a mess of cheese.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm with Elskidor on this one. If what I've seen isn't just mistranslations (that has been known to happen see Sailor Moon for examples) it sounds like what they're going for is going to be terrible and I won't pick it up if that's the case. X story is pretty much done and going back is probably the best route to take, especially if they want to bring Sin back.

Square Enix have a "fan demand" corporate slogan? Does Lightning Returns and X-3 really have much more demand than something like an FFVII/VIII/IX remake? Or even expansions on to those PS1-era worlds?

I don't know, this sounds kind of lame to me. I'd prefer a prequel to be honest.

Blog Entries

I'm going with the majority. If FFX-3 was begin to existence, then surely it should be the prequel about Barska and his journey of defeating Sin. It would be interesting seeing the interactions between him, Auron, and even Jecht without those messaging spheres. In fact, I would like to see the high summoner in action!

And wait... Tidus and Yuna called off their relationship?! 0_O This cannot be! They're my OTP!! Please tell me that is only a rumor!! T-T

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

No. Just start making XVI please.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The plot sounds weak. I'm not convinced. I just hope it doesn't fail too spectacularly.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

...This is one of the funniest smurfing things I have heard in ages. XD

Blog Entries

There are 3 threads about FFX-3 shouldnt someone merge them or something? I have no idea which one to post in.

Anyway Im not too intrested in a Jecht Braska Auron prequel since we've already seen all the key moments hit in the Spheres and flashbacks. However I wouldnt say no to a Yevon, Yunalesca and pals prequel. Or maybe something about the Maesters.

Whatever it is I hope theres not as much stereotyped Guado hate as the other 2. THe Al Behd were villains then got their time to shine but the Guados were revealed as douchebags and forgotten.

Though I'll probably buy it even if it doesnt fulfil my wishes
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 12-29-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    There are 3 threads about FFX-3 shouldnt someone merge them or something? I have no idea which one to post in.
    This is a frontsite news article - frontsite news articles are technically forums threads. So feel free to post in this or all of them!

I love the "May be a thing" headline xD And is that Sin? I forgot how ugly that fella was. Strewth.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't know why everyone calls Sin a whale. He looks nothing like any whales I know personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's Cloverfield's mom. RUN!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yes, SE. You should totally prove once and for all that you are completely unable to come up with actually new stuff.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

:monster:

This sounds like really, really bad fanfiction. Bringing Sin back is pretty clear proof that Square Enix is completely out of ideas. Even the small details like the shoopuf thing are stupid.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries

It would be satisfying if Tidus becomes Sin and Yuna+co has to kill him. Also everyone in Spira blames her for bringing him back so she doesnt recieve the never ending love and support as she did in X and X2
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!