Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Suikoden II Let's Play - With Many Screenshots!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    These are the greatest last words ever uttered in human history.

That stuff with Jowy was harsh stuff. Why has it taken me this long to check out this thread? I'd play the game for the dialog options alone.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update~~

Viktor asks our opinion on the meeting. Nanami says it just seemed like abunch of old men arguing, which made Viktor laugh.

We head back to the tavern.

467.png468.png469.png

So Viktor agrees to do it. 2 days of fighting seems like a lot!

470.png

Anabelle first says she is sorry for getting us involved and we should let the grown ups handle it. Jowy asks again, and asks if I want to fight. I say yes, because honestly I don't have much choice in the matter. She agrees, while telling us to make sure not to get killed.

Ruin all my plans

471.png

Nanami is happy about that. We head to bed, wake up, and head downstairs.

472.png

With our mission clear, we head in to battle!

473.png474.png

Solon Jhee likes to hang out in one corner of the map by himself. He doesn't move. It is very hard to get to him. I recommend just buying time.

A little bit in to the fight, Viktor comments on one of the enemy units.

475.png

He is indeed! This will become relevant in a few minutes.

Soon, the reinforcements from Matilda arrive.

476.png

Assist us he does!

477.png

We damage Gilbert's unit and a scene initiates. This is important. You have to do enough damage to Gilbert's unit that it gets a little sword over his unit (see the screen, once they get two swords, the unit is dead) and then he will join you. This is the ONLY time you can recruit him in the game. Since you're buying time, it's pretty easy to do, but if you don't I recommend restarting and doing the battle over, because you can't recruit him later on.

478.png

So now we have a new Star of Destiny!

#38. Chisatsu (Chiretsu) Violent Star; Huang Hsin: The Who Rules Three Mountains

16/108

479.png

Yup. The battle proceeds, until the Highland army is down to only 3 units.

Another note if you play the game. Riou's unit can heal allies within a certain diamond shape. Just so you know this if you start having a lot of damaged units, just plot Riou down in the middle of them, and Voila!

Riou's unit actually only got in to one battle the whole time and let me just tell you, he tool out like 14 cavalry units and lost none :O! Badass

480.png

Miklotov complains saying a knight doesn't turn his back to his enemy in battle. Camus tells him a knight obeys orders. They retreat.

481.png482.png

A short while later, the battle ends, with Solon Jhee making a very disgusting comments about us basically being displayed on the walls of Muse in blood.

After the battle we get some sleep. Nanami tries to ask me a question but drops it.

483.png

What is Jowy up to?! :O!

If you haven't played the first Suikoden, that is Kage. He is a ninja and was a Star of Destiny in the first game. Now he isn't even important enough to get a face picture .

Pilika comes in and says "......................?" That's just what I was thinking, Pilika.

484.png485.png

Morning arrives and we head downstairs. Viktor tells Riou and Jowy that they did a great job. Nanami fusses because she was there too.

486.png

Nanami fusses at him some more and Flik laughs. The usual.

We arrive at City Hall and find Anabelle in yet another meeting. Gosh, Anabelle, stop being so busy with the whole war and stuff. Selfish.

487.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

You can't tell me what to do, Anabelle! *dies and gets a Game Over screen*

Jowy, you better not go and do something stupid or I'm going to haunt you from the Game Over screen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

488.png

Other old dude says his is basically being a chicken, and Gustav says that he was the first to withdraw during the Scarlett Moon War (which is a great name for a war, btw) and it results in some arguing and calling each other cowards before Anabelle tells them to cool their jets. Gustav says he isn't committing his troops right now, and leaves.

489.png490.png491.png492.png

She says Muse is her home, and she wants to protect it. Jowy, Nanami, and Riou leave.

We head back to the Tavern and Pilika comes out to play with Jowy. Jowy says he can't play right now and asks Nanami to play with her instead. Nanami asks why but receives no answer. She takes Pilika to play.

493.png

I see Nanami and Pilika upstairs playing. Nanami comments that she hasn't seen Jowy and Pilika acts worried. Nanami assures her that Jowy isn't mad at her. I go look for him.

I find him by City Hall talking to Kage again. What are you two, BFF's now?!?!?

494.png

I don't need to ask who Kage is because I know that Kage is a badass ninja.

495.png

I ask what he is going to do.

496.png

It is now nightime and we see Anabelle by herself and hear a knocking.

497.png

Viktor comes in and offers her alcohol. He says its the only bottle he could carry when his fort burned down. Priorities man!

498.png499.png500.png501.png

Viktor says he needs to get some sleep because being tired makes you weak. Anabelle says if she was born in a different time and place and was a bit younger and a bit shorter, she might make a good girlfriend for Viktor. He says she's fine the way she is. D'awwww

502.png

Back at the tavern:

503.png

We decide to go look for him.

Next update is a very important one. We find out what's up with Jowy and it's a great and important scene.

Hope you enjoyed

Articles
    Blog Entries

A part of me don't blame Gustav for being cautious, the other part wants to ask if the army has to be burning his city to the ground for him to do anything.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Let Jowy take charge. He knows what's best, after all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay this is my first update tonight. I'll be posting another one up in an hour or two. This way I don't have to upload a whole bunch of pics all at once.

We head over to City Hall and are told our friend is already there.

504.png

Jowy asks if he can come in.

505.png506.png

She says she can tell he isn't joking and says she doesn't want to believe it. He asks her to please not scream.

507.png508.png509.png510.png511.png512.png

She asks if he can at least let her finish her drink. She says an old friend gave it to her and it would be a shame to waste it. He turns his head.

513.png

We hear a cup smash and are brought back to Nanami and Riou, who go to Anabelle's room.

514.png

We ask Jowy what happened and he apologizes to Riou. The he runs away.

515.png516.png

I didn't do anything

Jess

A guard comes in and tells us that Highland has invaded the city. Jess asks how that could have happened so quickly.

517.png

Jess and the guard rush out to get Anabelle a doctor. She tells us to tell Jess she doesn't need one. We tell her not to talk.

518.png519.png

She asks if we were happy with our life with Genkaku. Nanami and Riou both say yes. She says she can at least rest in peace, knowing that.

520.png

She tells us to run and get away from the Highland army.

521.png522.png

FIIIIIIIIINEEE

523.png524.png525.png

Kay thanks. We head out.

Once we reach the gate, Nanami asks how many times we've run like this. Pilika tries to run back and Nanami stops her. Pilika cries.

526.png

We leave Muse.

527.png

She says no, he couldn't have done that. She says she would like for all of us to run away from the fighting, go to the mountains or something, and have a farm. She asks if that would be nice and I say it would. She calls me a liar and then apologizes. She tries to forget about Jowy.

We wake up and she tells us to wash our faces and we head south.

528.png

More update later

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update time again!

We wander down to the docks and are scared off by a Highland soldier who tells us that no ships are allowed to leave by order of Luca. Nanami helpfully points out that it will be difficult to get to South Window without a boat.

Talking to the townsfolks, we see that they are ina rough spot. Highland took over Coronet (here) shortly after Muse. They stopped the boats and now the town can't get any of its fish or make the same living it could before. One soldier laughs at how the Highland army has taken over the City-State.

We head to the Inn and run in to some familiar faces.
    529.png

She spots Riou and runs over, pushing Nanami out of the way, hard.

530.png

We explain the story and go sit down.

531.png

So not the same story at all, then

532.png533.png

Rina also asks if Nanami is Riou's girlfriend. She says she's his big sister and Rina says that's good, talking to Eilie. Eilie tells her to shut up. It's obvious enough, Eilie, you don't have to hide it.

So we head over somewhere and see a scene.

534.png

Sheena is a character who was also in Suikoden I. Just a fun fact. Tai Ho and Yam Koo, who you are about to see in a minute, are also characters from the original Suikoden.

Sheena leaves in a huff and we enter.

Tai Ho thinks its Sheena again and tells him to go away.

535.png

Nanami asks if we can use his boat. He says no. Riou persists. So Tai Ho calls him over.

536.png

Then we play a game of I can't remember what it's called, but its basically, you roll 3 dice, try to get 2 dice of the same number, the 3rd number is your score. There are other rules but that's the simplified version.

I win first try !

537.png

He scored a 1 and I scored a 4.

Tai Ho says he knew I was lucky.

538.png

Yam Koo warns him about the Highland soldiers, but Tai Ho wants none of it.

539.png

So we head on back to the Inn.

540.png

Rina worries about pirates but Bolgan and Eilie tell her we'll be fine. (There are no pirates)

541.png

Aaaaaaaaand we have just recruited 3 more Stars of Destiny !!!!!!!!

Bolgan: #31Tenpai The Vanquished Star; Juan the Seventh: The Fierce King of Devils

Eilie: #28 Tenzai Star of Sin; Juan the Fifth: The Short Lived

Rina: #27 Tenken Dagger Star; Juan the Second: God of Swift Death

Those 3 stars are usually a trio that are friends like with these 3 in other Suikoden games.

19/108

So we head back to get our boat ride. Tai Ho is instantly impressed with Rina.

542.png

I've always liked Yam Koo.

Not much in the way of scenes in the next town, but we head to Kuskus.

Tai Ho drops us off and we are left to fend for ourselves. Eilie gets close to Riou which makes Nanami visibly uncomfortable and she turns away. We wander around town and the most notable thing is when I talk to one guy, walk over to another and as soon as I press the talk button, the first guy walks in front of him, making it so I talk to the same guy twice. That's like... talk blocking. There will be more stuff to do here later on.

We head south and reach South Window. As good a name for a town as any, I suppose.

I don't get far before Viktor spots us. Eilie asks if I know the loud man.

543.png

I say this because Viktor is cool and I don't need to call him Bear. In case you're wondering, if you call him Bear he comes upa ll "I heard that!!"

544.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Viktor looks over at Eilie and then over at Rina.

545.png

Eilie gets offended, Rina is pleased, and Nanami asks if he was talking about her. He looks at her and she steps back. That's a no.

He asks where Jowy is and I explain.

546.png

He says he couldn't believe it and says there must be some explanation.

547.png

Head over to the tavern I do, once I've finished my shopping.

There we meet up with Viktor and Flik.

548.png

He tells us of his journey getting to South Window, which we don't hear because the screen blacks out.

549.png

Rina asks if he wants to get a contract from the Mayor, and he says yes. He says he needs a place for his allies, and some food money and such. Rina and the others choose to sit out the meeting.

550.png551.png

And two more Star of Destiny!!

Flik: #17 Tenan Dark Star; Yang Chi: Blue Faced Beast

Viktor: #13 Tenko Lone Star; Lu Chi Shen: The Tattooed Priest

21/108

We head over to see the old dude.

552.png

Viktor be like "Aaaaaalrright". He says this pretty much right off the bat, without Viktor having to ask. After congratulating him on escaping.

Random note: Flik has cooled his jets a good bit since Suikoden I

He then confirms if Viktor is from North Window (like South Window, but North instead) Viktor says yes.

553.png554.png555.png556.png557.png

Another Star of Destiny!

Freed Yamamoto: #34 Tenbou Savage Star; Hsieh Chen: Double Headed Snake

22/108

He and a character you see later in the game have a daughter in Suikoden III. She looks like this: Sanaey01.jpg

With the meeting over, we head out.

558.png559.png

That's it for today. Hope you enjoyed

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Didn't know Aaron Freed was in Suikoden II in a disguise.

also JOWY WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

I need to know why man. If all you wanted to do was kill someone then there are other ways to do it. Hanging out with ninjas has corrupted you dude

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Goddammit, Jowy! What did I tell you? I told you if you did something stupid I was going to haunt you, didn't I?

*appears in ghost form, start doing some serious F.E.A.R trout*

You brought this on yourself!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ready for another update?

Music pretty much needed for the first few pics ^

We see a cutscene that looks like this:

560.png561.png

The camera slowly pans over and we see a face. The eyes start to glow red.

562.png

That's disturbing.

So we head back to the Inn. Eilie asks how it went.

563.png

he says we're off to North Window and asks if Riou is coming. I don't get to answer before Nanami butts in.

564.png

Eilie comments that she's also curious. Rina and Bolgan agree to stay behind to watch Pilika. Poor girl, imagine all the stuff she's going through at such a young age. Flik plans to join us, but Rina has other plans.

565.png566.png567.png

Flik gets flustered and Viktor pretty much just decides to leave him there.

To North Window!

We arrive and it... well it sucks. The place is just... dead/

568.png569.png

They ask what happened.

570.png571.png572.png573.png

He destroyed Neclord in Suikoden I, for those who haven't played. Also, Neclord is quite the name for a vampire :P

574.png

Viktor is visibly shocked to see his enemy arrive.

575.png

Viktor calls him some names.

576.png

Viktor is obviously upset now. Neclord raises his arm and some corpses come out of the ground.

577.png

Eilie yells at Neclord, telling him he can't use the dead as his personal playthings. Nanami says that's right and says Riou will kick his butt and then she runs and hides behind him.

Neclord apparently likes these courageous young girls.

578.png

This of course lesds to a battle where he pretty much destroys me.

579.png580.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Neclord encourages Viktor to get the Star Dragon Sword, saying he wants to destroy it. Then he disappears.

581.png

Viktor seems to have been having a different conversation?

582.png

That's... pretty messed up.

583.png

Viktor says that Neclord claims to be the embodiment of one of the 27 True Runes. Eilie asks what do you mean 'claims' and Viktor says we'll find out.

584.png

To the Cave of the Wind we go!

585.png

Good name. Viktor says he and other youngsters used to come here to test their strength. He warns that there are monsters inside. It's like its an RPG dungeon or something.

So we go through the cave and it's pretty long and boring. A few times I have to push boulders in front of openings in the wall so I don't get blown away by the wind. At one point there is some random old dude standing in front of 3 treasure chests. He offers to bring me back to the start of the dungeon. I decline.

We proceed further in to the cave.

586.png

He says he has been waiting for Viktor. Viktor asks why.

587.png588.png

He says he wants to destroy Neclord once and for all for his family.

589.png590.png591.png

Khan says it wasn't meant for his hands. Then he said, besides, the way it looks..... and Viktor says that's what he figured.

We head a little bit further to reach the Star Dragon Sword.

592.png

He gets no response. He asks if Star Dragon Sword is mad. Eilie says what would you expect, calling him names like dumb.

593.png

Viktor says he thought the sword would appreciate the peace and quiet. Eilie freaks out a bit at the sword talking and Viktor calling it pal.

594.png

Then he calls Viktor nothing more than his servant. This angers Viktor who calls him useless and whiny. The sword gets angry.

595.png596.png

So we have a boss fight. Takes a little while, but I wear him down. He shrinks back down to regular size.

Viktor tells him he shouldn't get so mad. The Sword basically comments that he can keep fighting.

597.png

The sword forgives him and asks why Viktor came back.

598.png599.png600.png

And so we can head over to beat on Neclord!

That's all for today! Hope you enjoyed

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So, since I'm not half asleep while posting this time, I thought it might be fun to try a few things.

1. Later in the game, there will be these cooking contest type challenges. I was wondering if anyone or several anyones would like to help me pick out which dishes to cook when the challenges come up. I could show you guys who the judges are (they're always among the characters recruited) and someone could pick the dishes to be cooked?

2. To help people have a better understanding of the Suikoden world, I've found some infor on the 27 True Runes, which are kind of like God's of this world. So here is some info, with the spoilers taken out, in case anyone is curious:

True Beast Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden II
    A True Rune representing animalistic rage and passion; the rune is officially said to have been given to Highland (country) by Harmonia (country). However, the fact is that the Beast Rune refused to be contained within Harmonia and took residence in L'Renouille (capital of Highland) according to its own will. Harmonia hid this fact by claiming that it was a gift, and used it as a political tool. The True Beast Rune can take the form of wolves.

Blue Moon Rune
    A Rune representing compassion and destruction, this rune also turns its bearer into a vampire. This rune carries with it a huge curse, as it actually dominates its bearer's mind until s/he gains mastery over its powers.

Circle Rune
    A True Rune representing order and stagnation, not much is known about this rune as well as its bearer. The Holy Kingdom of Harmonia is named after this rune's power of bringing peace and harmony. However, scholars argue that the power of stagnation has become more prevalent in recent times, stalling the progress of the Holy Kingdom.

Dragon Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden I, II, and III, sort of.
    The Dragon Rune allows dragons to exist in this world. The bearer of this rune holds a huge responsibility, for the death of the bearer means all dragons in the world would also die. For this reason, the captain of the dragon knights rarely changes. The Rune also allows its bearer to control dragons, even if they have been turned into undead dragons. The power of the rune depends on the willpower of its bearer, which means dragons may not obey this runes bearer if s/he is mentally weak. It is not known why dragons can not survive in this world without the help of the Dragon Rune. However, it is known that dragons in great pain are able to create portals to return to their home world, the "World of Wings and Scales."

Eightfold Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden II (sort of) and Suikoden III.
    No-one knows what powers this rune may hold. Scholars argue that an affinity with monsters (summoning, for example) and the power of teleportation is dervied from this rune, but no-one is certain.

Gate Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden I
    A True Rune with the power to connect worlds, this rune holds great powers. Belonging to the Gate Rune Clan, this rune has been protected for centuries. However, the clan was destroyed by invading Harmonians in Solis 78. The two sisters, Windy and Leknaat (In the Gate Rune Clan, all members were considered siblings), separated the Gate Rune into two halves and teleported away.

Night Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden I, II, and III
    A True Rune representing the "power of the night", this rune allows "creatures of the night," such as zombies, skeletons, and vampires to exist, as well as easily brings them back out of existence, when normal methods cannot. It was borne originally intertwined with the Sun Rune, which governed over light. The Sun Rune's great light annoyed the Night Rune, which severed the bond between the two runes. After initially becoming a sword, this rune's natures and whereabouts are shrouded in mystery.

Rune of Change
    A True Rune representing change that affects all in the universe. The powers of this rune and its whereabouts remain a mystery. However, it is said that the Leader of the Sindars hold this rune, forcing the Sindars to move from place to place as a curse. However, it is said that the Sindars finally found their "eternal city" after their eternal wander.

Rune of Punishment
    Seen in: Suikoden IV
    A True Rune that represents atonement and forgiveness and is always borne on the left hand of its host; this rune is a parasite that feeds off its host with fatal consequences: the rune has tremendous offensive capabilities; however, using them drains the bearer's life force, eventually to the extent that he or she turns to ash and their memories are locked away in the Rune; the Rune then transfers to the nearest available host. Whilst it is still believed that the Rune of Punishment will grant standard True Rune abilities such as agelessness; there is no record of any of its previous bearers surviving long enough for this to be an issue.

Rune of Beginning
    A True Rune representing the "initial chaos of birth" inherent in times of creation. This True Rune is always found separated into it's components-- the Bright Shield Rune and the Black Sword Rune. Scholars are uncertain whether the Black Sword and Bright Shield are the same "sword" and "shield" from the legends of creation, and no one knows what exact power the Rune of the Beginning bears. It is said that the rune grants its owner the power to "judge war".

Soul Eater
    Seen in: Suikoden I, Suikoden IV-ish
    Also known as the "Rune of Life and Death", this rune represents two inevitabilities. The rune bent the fate of those around the bearer and dragged them into the clutches of death. However, it is uncertain whether having one's soul being sucked by the souleater means death, as the spirits of those who have died live on within the bearer of the Souleater.

Sovereign Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden I
    The rune's powers are still a mystery, but it grants it's bearers complete immunity to all runes, and also allows its bearer to change into a three-headed dragon.

Sun Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden V
    A True Rune governing over light, warmth, and nuturing, the Sun Rune is one of the three treasures of Falena. Originally connected with the Night Rune, the runes were split after the Night Rune incarnated itself into a sword and severed the link between them. When they split, two pieces were detached: The Dawn Rune and the Twilight Rune. The Sun Rune is borne on the forehead, and slowly makes any bearer go mentally insane, without the Dawn and Twilight Runes to control it's impulses.

True Earth Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden III
    A True Rune representing the power of the earth. It's powers are vast, granting great protection spells to its bearer.

True Fire Rune
    A True Rune representing the power of fire. The rune grants powerful flame-based spells that hurt friend and foe alike if within the area of effect.

True Lightning Rune
    A True Rune representing the power of lightning. The rune grants incredibly powerful offensive spells to its bearer.

True Water Rune
    A True Rune representing the power of water. The rune grants powerful healing spells along with attack spells to its bearer.

True Wind Rune
    Seen in: Suikoden I, II (kind of) and Suikoden III
    A True Rune representing the power of the wind.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, wasn't expecting that vampire subplot to show up. It's starting to feel like Castlevania up in here. A talking sword you fight? Awesome!