Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock, Season 3 (previous seasons spoilers)

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think the opening was intended to (SPOILER)reinforce how much of a dick Sherlock is, but also to help humanise him more too. Like, clearly he cares a smurfload about John -- gay jokes aside -- but Sherlock still doesn't get how normal people behave.

Mary is one of the coolest characters. She is so on the ball and clever in her own way, plus she is hilariously playing both the boys. And the way she just puts up with Sherlock and John going off on their stupid adventures, I mean geez she's too perfect. I think that's the reason she's gonna get screwed over -- not because she's new, but because she's too good to be true. The dynamic wouldn't work because it makes too much sense. Though I refuse to believe they'd pull a Mary's in danger plot immediately after the wedding episode, that'd be trout.

uhhh what else are my jumbled thoughts. Yeah I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of over arching thread in this season. Like, yeah, that one guy, but how is any of this connected? It's... not. And that's half the fun! Having things all tied together. Moriarty was such an amazing villain, I wish he was alive still ;_;

eh that'll do too many THOUGHTS UGH

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Mycroft mentioned a Red Beard. Maybe that comes into the overarching plot
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

YES YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD, I DID MISS YOU
    (SPOILER)
    Actually, I don't know if I did because Magnusson was smurfing exemplary. What fantastic villains this show has - they're like a collection of supervillains that someone like Batman had. What an unhinged and dangerous force of presence that was somehow completely different in feel from Moriaty.

I think it was obvious something was slightly off with Mary and I liked the way that story went, that was good.

"ARE YOU BOTH SMOKING"
    "No!"
    "Mycroft!"

xD

Absolutely top notch episode.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    YES YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD, I DID MISS YOU
    (SPOILER)
    Actually, I don't know if I did because Magnusson was smurfing exemplary. What fantastic villains this show has - they're like a collection of supervillains that someone like Batman had. What an unhinged and dangerous force of presence that was somehow completely different in feel from Moriaty.

I think it was obvious something was slightly off with Mary and I liked the way that story went, that was good.

"ARE YOU BOTH SMOKING"
    "No!"
    "Mycroft!"

xD

Absolutely top notch episode.
    Yeah seconding these comments. (SPOILER)I would've liked Magnusson to have, y'know, more obvious effects 'cause he was a magnificent bastard too but smurf nobody is quite as good as Moriarty that smurfing actor is perfect and I just oh man we have to wait TOO DAMN LONG

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)This was the weakest season for me. The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. It started out pretty strong and I enjoyed the first episode, especially the mystery surrounding why someone would name John as a target. I enjoyed much less of the second; mostly the part that sticks out is Sherlock in the courtroom with Mycroft and the online ladies he was chatting to. The wedding itself was all boring safe for Sherlock's speech. This third one had me going for a bit and then... promptly dropped off most/all interest.

Something about the fact that there wasn't really a clear case involved in this episode made me just disinterested in it. Everything was surrounding their own personal lives, and it made me care less about it for some reason. I will admit that I like seeing Sherlock's parents, though. I'm not sure. Something about this season was so out of character. I understand why they did it; two seasons of the same, two years gone by, got to spice things up. Everything with Sherlock engaging in situations we've never seen him in from getting drunk to entertaining women, to beginning the episode vastly different from any other episode in the past, to getting so involved with personal lives, to even Anderson going nuts and becoming a Sherlock cultist with a crazy person beard. I am fine with out of character and I am fine with things getting different. I am not fond of this particular storyline, though. The first episode and the last episode connect - the second one is basically all filler and reference point of John and Mary's marriage and a couple of her behaviors that are remarked upon. Other than that, the second episode holds no actual relevance to the season.

In all the changes and differences that have come to light, though, I appreciate the fact that John Watson remains consistently the same.

I would have liked to see much more of Magnussen. I think perhaps I've been spoiled in getting to see so many glimpses of Moriarty in the past seasons. I want to feel the fear of god put into me by a villain, and Magnussen was so creepy and out of the ordinary that he could have worked so much better if they just used more of him. He worked fine for what when he was used, sure. But I wasn't really in fear of the man shown at the end of the first season. It was more of "who is that? what does he have to do with this?". The big reveal in the third and final episode and then offing him feels premature. Again, possible spoiled by getting to know Moriarty through two seasons. Oh well.

I tried to keep an open mind about Mary, even though I didn't really love her much in the first episode, or the second. But this whole twist business made me throw my hands up. Not loving it, not one bit.

I've realized that Mycroft is one of my favorite characters. I think he has been for a while, I've just never really noticed it. I feel like he overacted a bit when it came to mentioning Magnussen for the first time. Other than that, wonderful as always.

The ending was predictable as soon as Sherlock asked Magnussen to confirm that all of his data is locked away in his head. From there it was either a) SWAT taking him down or b) Sherlock taking him down, and from the first look of the elderly blonde woman on screen again, it was predictable that they were going to ask him to come work for them. That was disappointing. As much as I love figuring out things throughout the show, figuring out endings is boring boring boring.

The Moriarty stuff, though. That was the best part of the whole episode (beside the smoking bit mentioned earlier) and certainly not at all predictable. This season was a disappointment to me, but I would allow myself to get dragged behind the stagecoach of seven more seasons of the same to see a Moriarty return.

Also, shoutout to Molly Hooper. I love how bold she's become. I also love how Sherlock interacts with her and Mycroft in his subconscious now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

(SPOILER)Sherlock's mind palace has become even cooler than like, every other setting

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I liked the episodes of this season individually, but I agree that the season as a whole felt the weakest. Still, great entertainment by any measure.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    I liked the episodes of this season individually, but I agree that the season as a whole felt the weakest. Still, great entertainment by any measure.
    Agreed.

(SPOILER)I liked Mary but her 'twist' didn't sit well with me and didn't make much sense.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

(SPOILER)Some of the signposting was well done but Mary being an assassin was just kind of wtf. Cool, I guess, but it just seems too convenient that out of all the random people John could date, he finds an ex assassin. There comes a point where I can't suspend disbelief and that trout is too obvious

Blog Entries

(SPOILER)The whole "Applegate is in my head" thing was predicatable. I liked the Red Beard reveal
    Have a nice day!!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

2 years is a very long time to wait for a new season, and when it finally arrived it just didn't live up to expectations. And it's already over again. My goodness. That was a quickie wasn't it?

I knew the seasons were short, but for some reason I didn't think it would be this short. I guess I had just forgotten. I think even if we had one more episode to sort of flesh things out, it would have made the entire season immeasurably better. A lot of time was spent trying to re-establish the Sherlock/Watson relationship, and then also introduce and establish the Watson/Mary and Mary/Sherlock dynamics and by then we're halfway done with the season and we've barely been introduced to the big bad!

Anyone else feel like they were trying to make this season a lot funnier? Like waaaay funnier. I cracked up so many times. I also thought they softened Sherlock's character a TON, maybe a little bit too much even. I'm not sure he can keep calling himself a "high functioning sociopath" anymore he has so many warm and fuzzy feelings. It was a tad bit jarring to be honest. But hey, I love the bromance.

I also didn't think the final episode made much sense. Not in terms of motivations, logic, character development, etc. It seemed like a lot of energy was spent trying to convince the audience that this was all very complicated and deep but in the end not much of it felt like it panned out or had much of an impact.

That being said, it's just so freakin' entertaining to watch Sherlock and Watson do their thing. So much fun. I just want more and more of it.

Blog Entries

(SPOILER)Did any one else notice when he was scrolling through Sherlock's pressure points it just kept repeating itself?
    Have a nice day!!

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Where is everyone watching this? I've been waiting for season three.
    Figaro Castle

:monster:

Torrents.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Figaro Castle