Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whose story tugged on your heartstrings the most?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Unhappy Whose story tugged on your heartstrings the most?

I think it's fair to say that almost every character in FFVI has a sad and/or deeply touching moment. From Terra learning of her past, and how to love with Leo and the kids, to Cyan seeing everything he loved destroyed and trying to cope with loneliness. I even found Edgar rigging the coin flip to sacrifice his own happiness for his brother's sake to be a somewhat emotional moment.

I also would've liked to have seen a little more development for Mog. When you find him in the World of Ruin, all of the other Moogles have vanished without a trace and it would've been good to see how he dealt with being the last Moogle. (if indeed he was)

That's just the tip of the iceberg - I haven't even mentioned the likes of Celes, Locke or Shadow, all of whom had some really sad stories. Whose story touched you the most?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Terra and how she saved the kids and then they all survived and saw the falchion soar through the skies in the ending movie and now i'm crying smurf you psy
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Lock and Rachel and Setzer and Daryll as they are dead/about to die.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I didn't feel Cyan's story well because I got annoyed at his speech patterns, it took away the 'reality' in his situation and made it all feel very fictional. If he spoke normally I think his situation would have been the worst.

However, because things didn't hit the feels for me with Cyan, I'll go with Celes or Gau.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think how subtle and underplayed Gau's situation was -- and the fact that even he himself didn't quite grasp it -- made it pretty powerful for me. Setzer and Locke (and Cyan too I guess) have traditionally upsetting sorts of tales -- oh no dead loved ones -- but I wouldn't say they leapt out at me. Cyan's letter writing in the WoR was pretty smurfing heart breaking though. I don't know. I'm gonna play through again so I can get the feels, it's been too long.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Didn't get far enough to really see anyone's story come around full circle, but from what I did play I was invested in Terra for the most part from what I remember. Haven't played VI since I was a kid.

Cyan, Gau, Locke, Sabin & Edgar, Setzer, Celes and Terra

Articles
    Blog Entries

Shadow's, actually.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Umaro. Because I named him Assrag.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Cles, Locke, and Gau were the best for me.

They nearly all had some deep dark crap that made you feel for them, but on my first play through the one thing that struck me hardest was General Leo when that thing happens. I really had grown to like him and then BAM. Right afterward I had to go somewhere and I could not get it off my mind for the rest of the evening. There were a few others in there, and some really tragic epic music helped build the drama on the Setzer and Locke flashbacks and Celes in the start of the WoR, but Leo was the big bang moment that struck a cord with me when I first played FFVI.

Who had the saddest story though? Damn, probably Terra if you take in consideration her entire life, but most of them had some deep dark stories behind them. It would have been great to have a bit more depth behind Mog. Umaro isn't really needed, you can just base his story around being Mog's big ole buddy. I suppose Cyan should be the second heart pulling character, but I never felt for him as the story intended the audience to. Maybe it was his speech...no clue, but something kept me from caring as much as I probably should for the guy.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think Locke's was the one that I found the most emotional. He comes across as reasonably happy go-lucky, positive, and strong throughout the game. An almost stereotypical all-round slightly cheeky good guy. Then you find out the reason why he's fighting the Empire, and the slim sliver of hope that he holds onto to try and revive Rachel. It's not helped by Forever Rachel, which is a lovely piece of music.

I think a number of the other stories - Celes, Terra, Leo, Cyan, Gau, etc - are all very good, but it was always Locke's which I found the most moving. Gau's relationship with his father is another one, which was one of the few things about Gau I liked.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Cyan for sure. Guy lost his family!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Mr. Thou and The Treasure Hunter. A lot of the stories have a way to get back what you lost, but not these two.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

Celes

Don't cry, damn it
    Returners Represent!