Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which comic book heroes would you like to see on the big screen?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Hulk failed twice.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Besides the point.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Hulk never failed. -sternface-

Deadpool the game was quintessential Deadpool of the comics. Doing a movie like that would be fantastic! I wouldn't even mind keeping Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson. He did a pretty good Merc with a Mouth impression before getting all weapon x'd

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I'd want to do indiviual films of Aqua Man, Green Lantern and Flash too
    They did a Green Lantern movie. It was bad.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Hulk with Ed Norton was amazing, don't know what ToriJ and Cobb are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I'd want to do indiviual films of Aqua Man, Green Lantern and Flash too
    They did a Green Lantern movie. It was bad.
    It was bad because they didn't have the movie be in space with the Lateran Corps like they should have, Ryan was a questionable choice for the lead role and they had a rookie Lantern go up against a villain who shouldn't have been introduced so early.

As you can see I thought WAY too long and hard about this stuff.
    Last edited by Ayen; 01-01-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was awful.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was awful because it was Hal Jordan and not John Stewart.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Plus Ryan Reynolds being cast as Hal Jordan makes no sense. Especially when he'd be one of the best picks for Wally West.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I was thinking that too. Wonder Woman is my 2nd favorite superhero and it still frustrates me that they don't have a movie for her yet. This Gal Gadot looks like a bad choice. I looked her up and it looks like her acting ability sums up to being the eye candy. I don't know what they were thinking. Hopefully she'll gain some weight and surprise us although I don't think WW should even be showing up in the Man of Steel sequel.

I'd also like films for Black Panther, Static, and Batman Beyond. I'd like to see The Question show up eventually as well, probably in Justice League 2.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

TINY DEADPOOL AND BOB THE MOVIE.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Huge smurfing nerd incoming, dodgeroll everyone. DODGE!

First, I totally second Zatanna.

I'd love to see a Wonder Woman movie as well. Her New 52 comic series is one of their better efforts. Her DC original animated film was so good it should have been the live-action film. I know straight-to-dvd screams cheap, but DC's animated movies are nothing to scoff at. Even though it was good, her movie still only made back its budget, nothing more. There hasn't been a follow-up movie because it wasn't profitable compared to their myriad of Superman, Batman, or Justice League movies. Hell, even the Lanterns got more than one.

The sad part about her is that, despite being recognizable and called part of the trinity, she doesn't sell well and never has. She sits solidly in the middle with the likes of Swamp Thing, far behind other DC heroes. The New 52 launch gave her some initial interest before falling right back into her old place again. Her sales look like this:

Wonder_Woman_Sales.png

So she has ~40,000-50,000 actual comic book fans to her name. This is Batgirl level.

I think Wonder Woman has two major problems. The first is that writers can never decide what to do with her. Sometimes she's a barbarian murdering everyone, sometimes she is an ambassador of love and peace. Sometimes they want her to be relatable, other times she is inspirational. The character in the Justice League and her own comic books can be two different people. Much like Superman, how good she is depends entirely on how she is handled. She can honestly be very boring if done wrong.

Her second problem is that she lacks a showstopping villain. My mom knows nothing about comics and doesn't want to, but she could name The Joker and Lex Luthor as comic book villains, because who couldn't. Wonder Woman's primary villains are figures of Greek mythology. While I personally find that cool and believe it separates her from the usual, it does leave the likes of Ares and Circe to be her big problems, and they must be harder to stick or something. They were reworked to be quite imaginative in her relaunch in my opinion, but everyone just wants a crazy clown forever, I guess. Not to knock The Joker or anything, I love him a lot actually. Just...If I can get the new Hades on screen as a villain for her someday I'd die of happiness.

Of course, that would be easily remedied with a good movie. If it's good, people will go. Once upon a time, Thor looked like movie studios were out of ideas for superheroes. Now he's a household name instead of a nerd name. She doesn't have the same amount of exposure as Superman or Batman through media beyond comic books. She's pretty trapped that way, I think. People recognize her without knowing anything about her because she doesn't sell well and she doesn't sell well because nobody knows anything about her.

Introducing her as part of a team first is probably the best way to go. Hopefully she gets a good movie following that. I don't want another crappy script with crappy direction like Elektra and Catwoman. Then the studios blame the female protagonist instead of the movie's flaws as the cause for their box office bomb.

Now that's out of the way, the Young Avengers comic book is the most underrated thing ever, and my wish world would see them on the big screen. I know how it sounds, the Teen Titans of the Marvel world or something, but it's really very excellent in art and writing. Obviously this is incredibly unlikely. It took this long to get Scarlet Witch to appear in a movie thanks to the upcoming Avengers sequel. Her homosexual magical son in a sparkly star suit isn't coming to theaters any day soon.

So on to something more realistic, Dr. Strange, which they are actually doing! Yay!

Captain Marvel, or Shazam these days, would also be super cute. He got an animated short once called Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam that showed off his interesting features really well. He's not just Superman with a bolt of lightning on his chest.

Now, for the Martians-...

Alright I better just stfu already
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 01-01-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree. I love the animated movies and think it's some of their best work.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Alright I better just stfu already
    Nah, nerd rant some more. I love to talk about comic stuff. I only own a few comics, but I'm still interested in it. The plethora of DC's animated movies has been better than all the superhero movies recently. I never knew that the Wonder Woman film barely made back its budget. That does explain why we never saw a sequel. Also thanks for recommending her new 52 comic. I saw it in the store the other day, but was weary of it because the general consensus around the net is that the new 52 sucks.

That Shazam short was wayy too short. They should've made that into an actual movie. It was about the length of a TV episode. Was it sold alone on DVD? I couldn't see many people buying something that's only 20min long.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

A grown-up movie about Lobo.