Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    Edit: Also, I love regular expressions. I'm actually really sad that I get so few chances to legitimately use them in my job. I use them pretty much daily for find/replace operations, although those use cases are usually pretty simple.
    I'll gladly send you all of my regular expression needs to be dealt with.
    Figaro Castle

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I really smurfing enjoyed coding in high school, I just wish I was a little better at it so I could've pursued it further.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    Edit: Also, I love regular expressions. I'm actually really sad that I get so few chances to legitimately use them in my job. I use them pretty much daily for find/replace operations, although those use cases are usually pretty simple.
    There's always time for more regex. You should use Vim if you don't already, it has regex everywhere. Sometimes you think "I could manually fix these 3 lines of code in 10 seconds... or I could spend two minutes writing a pointless regex to do it". And the choice is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    My big issue with it is just that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, so it's kind of a lightweight scripting language, and kind of an extensive object-oriented language, which makes it pretty slushy for my liking. Coming from a language as strict as C++, it's a big adjustment that I still haven't made.
    JS makes sense if you treat it as a functional language. It was designed based on Scheme and Self. Brendan Eich made the syntax look like C so as not to scare people away from it, or else it'd probably be a full-fledged Lisp.

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford (the guy who invented JSON) is a good book. Short and very practical. It tells you what parts of JS to avoid.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I test programmers' work.

The only languages I've coded in, myself, are Python and Ruby, for test automation, but I'm still a newbie in both. I guess I use JavaScript kind of often...to make bookmarklets. xD

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

most of what I've done is also python for automation; I wrote a recursive replacement function a couple of weeks ago that I'm still a little giddy about.

and it's always fun to write a clever css selector.

speaking of CRMs, i've been unfortunate enough to need to look at the page source for Dynamics.

It's tables.

All

the

way

d

o

w

n

I set up some virtual machines to play around with malware analysis last night!

I can't wait to stare at assembly language for hours, not knowing what is going on /smug

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    My big issue with it is just that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, so it's kind of a lightweight scripting language, and kind of an extensive object-oriented language, which makes it pretty slushy for my liking. Coming from a language as strict as C++, it's a big adjustment that I still haven't made.
    JS makes sense if you treat it as a functional language. It was designed based on Scheme and Self. Brendan Eich made the syntax look like C so as not to scare people away from it, or else it'd probably be a full-fledged Lisp.

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford (the guy who invented JSON) is a good book. Short and very practical. It tells you what parts of JS to avoid.
    Interesting. I'm going to keep that book in mind - maybe see if we can get it added to the company library. JSON is one JavaScript construct that I actually find to be incredibly clever and useful (in fact, it's playing a significant role in a fairly large new feature I'm co-programming right now). My previous exposure to functional languages was only in my undergrad, and I thought it was interesting, but the mindset required never clicked for me as being practical beyond academic curiosity.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I do little bits on Code Academy, but nowhere near as much as I probably should. Going to try and be a bit more proactive about it!