Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Um...Majora's Mask...

The 13 day aspect of the game sounds kind of cool and I don't have an issue with it. There will be plenty of ways to manipulate time in the game, I'm sure, and a new game plus feature.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Um...Majora's Mask...

The 13 day aspect of the game sounds kind of cool and I don't have an issue with it. There will be plenty of ways to manipulate time in the game, I'm sure, and a new game plus feature.
    That was for the side quests in Majora's Mask though, wasn't it? Not to beat the actual game. I may be wrong on that though.

The 13 day aspect is purely a gimmick. Nothing more. Can you imagine the boardroom at Square Enix?

Mr. Miyagi: OHSO WE NEEDATO COMEUP WITH GREATIDEA TO SELLGAME, NEED MORE YENS

Ms. Nissantoyota: AH, HAYES MISTA MIYAGI, GOOD IDEA WE HAVE ONE

Ms. Nissantoyota: GAME ISCALL XIII, THIRTEEN

Ms. Nissantoyota: WE MAKE GAME RULE MUST FINISH 13 DAYS

*Ms. Nissantoyota takes a bow*

Mr. Miyagi: HAWOOOOOO, VERY GOOOOOOOD, YESSSS

*News is announced in Japan*

*Japanese people think this idea is smurfEN AMAZING*

*A bronze statue of Ms. Nissantoyota is erected in the middle of Tokyo*

*Millions of Japanese Final Fantasy fans unite around the statue and cry tears of joy*

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Um...Majora's Mask...

That was for the side quests in Majora's Mask though, wasn't it? Not to beat the actual game. I may be wrong on that though.
    The time travel aspect was an essential part of the game and its main selling point. You only had 72 hours to save the world from a freaky looking moon that was on a collision course for earth thanks to the Skull Kid that was being influenced by the Majora's Mask. You used the Ocarina of Time from the first game in order to travel back three days to Day 1 to give you more time making it unique among other Zelda titles and horribly underrated as the years go by.

In this case it most likely is just a gimmick as you said to make more money (and it will most likely work) but it's based on a formula that has been proven to work and it comes as no surprise as XIII has already dealt with time travel.

As for the actual controller... it looks like something WCW would have made and called the Hollywood Hulk Hogan Controller.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Majora's Mask had a time constraint, and not just for sidequests. Like ToriJ said, it was a major part of the gameplay. I think it was also done extremely well. I'm not sure how well its done in this game, but there you go.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh I don't doubt it's a gimmick. But it does sound fun. :

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Are you smurfing kidding me? What open world game has EVER had a time restraint in order to beat it?
    The Dead Rising games It works really well in them. No matter what you do, the helicopter will be here to rescue you in three days. Save people, uncover the truth about the zombie outbreak, act like an idiot and try on pretty dresses - it doesn't matter, the game will end at this point. I've always found it to be a fascinating concept and I like the sound of a Doomsday Countdown in theory. Whether or not it is implemented well remains to be seen...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like it if only for the parallels to life. This is meant to be the last of the 'trilogy', people are generally tired of XIII (not just haters, but some fans of it also want Square to move on to other titles), there's a doomsday clock counting down demanding that an end comes one way or another.

We are the doomsday clock!

I like open world games where beating the doomsday clock unlocks a free play mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Are you smurfing kidding me? What open world game has EVER had a time restraint in order to beat it?
    The Dead Rising games It works really well in them. No matter what you do, the helicopter will be here to rescue you in three days. Save people, uncover the truth about the zombie outbreak, act like an idiot and try on pretty dresses - it doesn't matter, the game will end at this point. I've always found it to be a fascinating concept and I like the sound of a Doomsday Countdown in theory. Whether or not it is implemented well remains to be seen...
    That has always been one of the weakest points of the Dead Rising games, in my mind. The fun of the games is killing zombies in creative and over the top ways, or exploring the zombie infested areas finding hidden things. And then the game throws up arbitrary time limits that completely ruin that part of it. Dead Rising 2 was horrible in this regard. You'll be having fun, and then either have to abandon it to rush back and heal the little girl, or you die.

Majora's Mask worked because of the time travel and the ability to replay time, as well as the manner in which your time travel affected the world. Without that feature, the Doomsday Clock would not have worked well.

We'll have to see how well FFXIII-3 can do with time manipulation before we know how well it will work here.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The difference between those two, is that when Dead Rising ends, you win. No matter what. Not that I would personally find the DR games any good, but that's just an opinion that I have.

What I gather from this, is that if you don't save the world successfully before the doomsday clock ends... the game is over and you have to start ALL over again. Seriously, that's just broken as hell. Of course I can be wrong, because I'm trying not to spoil myself. I'm just being cautiously optimistic. Even if that were the case it's still a Day 1 pickup for it, but I feel as though I'll enjoy it a lot less if I'm told I have to rush it.

They better make up for it by giving us a free play mode in NG+ or something, like other people are suggesting.

Given that, similar to Majora's Mask, the world does seem to change some as the time goes on, I can't see them removing the time limit ever. Slowing it down and such, yes, but not removing it.

However, if it isn't in at launch, I'm hoping complaints will, at some point, get us a "Song of Time" DLC that will let us the ability to rewind to a previous day.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I believe its a way to get you to replay the game. They have aid you won't see everything in one playthrough

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The difference between those two, is that when Dead Rising ends, you win. No matter what. Not that I would personally find the DR games any good, but that's just an opinion that I have.

What I gather from this, is that if you don't save the world successfully before the doomsday clock ends... the game is over and you have to start ALL over again. Seriously, that's just broken as hell. Of course I can be wrong, because I'm trying not to spoil myself. I'm just being cautiously optimistic. Even if that were the case it's still a Day 1 pickup for it, but I feel as though I'll enjoy it a lot less if I'm told I have to rush it.

They better make up for it by giving us a free play mode in NG+ or something, like other people are suggesting.
    Why is it day one if you strongly disagree with one of the things in the game? Wouldn't it be better to wait for a price drop if it doesn't seem all that great?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Due to this being limited edition does anyone think it'll have any value in the future?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Dunno. I'm not sure how interested the rest of the gaming world is in FF13-3. EoFF is kind of in a bubble.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?