Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miyazaki fans here?

Default How many miyazaki fans here?

Just curious. Anyone ever notice the chocobo like creatures in the beginning of his film nausicaa?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I can feel the magic c:

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoy his films, but can't really say I'm a huge fan.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

I'm a huge fan of his work, really sad to hear he retired (again) last year. Hopefully he's got at least one more movie in him, although from what I've read The Wind Rises is a good film to end his career with.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I can't say I've seen all (or even most) of his films but I grew up with My Neighbor Totoro and I think it's probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

myneighbourtotoro12.jpg

The opening theme is so... so... cheerful! All of the YouTube versions are copyrighted and broken so here's a piano version:

Big fan! Can't wait to see his final film.

For the record I think it's better to ask: did you see the Nausicaa bird-like creatures in Final Fantasy? Nausicaa debuted in 84 whereas FF in 87 who knows where Miyazaki got the design from though!

Nausicaa is one of my favourites along with Mononoke and Spirited Away. I love how psychedelic Miyazaki sometimes gets.

I went to the Ghibli museum in Tokyo a few weeks ago and it was glorious:

IMG_0809.jpg

Damn straight !

Still think that Howl's Moving Castle is the best one, but that was the very first one that I watched, so it might be just nostalgia, but, damn.

Also love The Cat Returns, coz cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Big fan! Can't wait to see his final film.

He's not retiring, he's coming back xD

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Cat Returns is fantastic. I don't think Miyazaki had much to do with it outside of the original concept for it, but yeah.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite Miyazaki movie Out of all the ones I've seen, none of them have been bad. I think the only ones I haven't seen are Lupin III, Porco Rosso, The Wind Rises, and any of his short films. For the movies I have seen, it really just depends on my mood, but Nausicaa is probably my favorite. That said, it's pretty evenly matched with Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, and some of the others.

The bottom of the barrel for me would be Ponyo and Arriety. I'd possibly put Kiki's Delivery Service here, but I honestly don't remember that movie well. Ponyo was pretty to look at, but there were just some moments in the writing that felt a bit off to me. Arriety just felt like a kind of boring straight adaptation of The Borrowers. Not bad, but it didn't quite have the magic to me of say Howl's Moving Castle which he added his own magical flare to it rather than strictly follow the book.

If Hayao retires soon, I do have hopes for his son, Goro. Earthsea was apparently a disaster, but it was his first movie and the things I've read kind of led me to believe he wasn't really ready. From Up on Poppy Hill, however, was an excellent movie and up there among my favorites from Ghibli. Hayao Miyazaki was the writer for that one which may be a big part of it, but I think Goro has a lot of potential based on that movie.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I, too, would like to know how many Miyazaki fans we have here, so that I can take a machine gun to everyone who isnot a fan.

Here
    Great choice, nausicaa is a pretty good film

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've seen a few of the movies and liked all the ones I've seen, and I've been to the ghibli museum in tokyo.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

BJ wouldn't go to the Ghibli museum with me. Damn you, Pete.

I'm a fan. But like a hipster, I prefer his older stuff. Nausicaa and Mononoke are my favorites though. I will be sad to see him retire for real though, as I get the feeling this new movie just won't have the magic that his films used to have. But he's surprised me before. Ponyo really turned me off though

Also Kiki's Delivery Service charmed the hell out of me. It's very "slice of life"-ish. But it makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I, too, would like to know how many Miyazaki fans we have here, so that I can take a machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    to everyone who isnot a fan.

Blog Entries

omg.. Spirited Away is one of my ultimate fav movies...

It's been a long time since I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service or Princess Mononoke..

I also very much love Howl's Moving Castle- both the book and the Ghibli film.

Ponyo was decent, I thought. I only watched it one time with my daughter, so I'll have to re-watch it sometime to be able to decide better.