Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lion King

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Lion King

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba!

I like The Lion King. It was the second movie I saw in theaters, I know, I know, it came out like one year before Batman Forever, but I specifically remember seeing it in theaters after Batman. So either I'm remembering wrong or they were having a special reshowing that they some times did for kids.

Either way, second movie, first animated film, first Disney movie I ever saw in theaters. A lot of firsts there. I remember I used to always shield my eyes during the sad part when I was a kid, you know which part I'm talking about if you saw the movie. Great characters and an awesome soundtrack. Love every song in the movie, don't care about the Morning Report that was added in on the DVD release, but whatever.

Discuss.

One of the more interesting retellings of hamlet, me gusta.

Oohh boyy

I don't hate this movie per say, though I do think that's really overrated. Young Simba annoys me, I can't stand I Can't Wait To Be King, the fact that Scar starts out as a amazing and threatening villain and then wussies out during the final half annoys me too, and I can't stand Timon and Pumba either; Timon is a dick to his friend, and Pumba is just fart jokes.

Scar during the first half of the movie and his To Be Prepared song however I do really like, I really do love Mufasa, like adore him, and adult ! Simba can be really relate-able, because we all do sometimes feel like we've smurfed up in life and just need guidance to step forward again.

It's not on my top 20, but maybe top 30.

gets banned from forums

Articles
    Blog Entries

Confused Matthew, is that you?

I attach the Spock line from Amok to Scar's development in The Lion King, "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I attach the Spock line from Amok to Scar's development in The Lion King, "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
    Still doesn't excuse him from going to " Yeeeaaah we are going to plan double regicide and take over the kingdom, and make Simba the young prince believe that he's the one responsible, thus damaging his life forever "

to

" I have a lovely bunch of coconuts, there they are, standing in a roooow "

It's like, what happened to the To Be Prepared Scar, man ? ;c

and

" meeeh, let the women do all the work, I can't be smurfed ...... "

and

" Please spare me Simba " !

Articles
    Blog Entries

Scar was a coward and lazy. He made the hyenas do all the hard work and only made a move against Mufasa when he was dangling off a cliff.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I was ten when this movie came out and that was basically the perfect age for it. My whole family loved it and we actually saw it in the theater twice. Then like 18 years later when it was re-released in 3D I went to see it again!

My main problem with it is that I watched it on VHS so many times as a kid that I memorized it from start to finish and now I can't enjoy it the same way I used to be able to because years later I still have the whole damn thing memorized.

(Also I blame this movie, along with Redwall, for launching me into the world of anthro animals and this is why all of my books have at least one anthro character in it. It's a terrible, awful curse.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Who else wants to see Pike reenact The Lion King?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Still doesn't excuse him from going to " Yeeeaaah we are going to plan double regicide and take over the kingdom, and make Simba the young prince believe that he's the one responsible, thus damaging his life forever "

to

" I have a lovely bunch of coconuts, there they are, standing in a roooow "

It's like, what happened to the To Be Prepared Scar, man ? ;c

and

" meeeh, let the women do all the work, I can't be smurfed ...... "

and

" Please spare me Simba " !
    Scar became complacent, as he thought was well within his rights to. His plan had went through, the only people who could stand in his way were dead. Relax and act like a king, being waited on hand and foot. Also in the real world the lionesses do all the work too, so that's not so unexpected.

I am curious as to how you wanted him to act post-regicide. :3

I enjoy the Lion King. I never cried though. Not one tear.

The stage show was also pretty amazing.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I was 9 when this came out I think, and it came out around the time my parents were getting divorced so it had a lot of meaning and resonance to me.

It's still one of my favourite films of all time - probably my favourite. I have the original VHS, which I watched and rewound so many times it stopped working properly, the limited edition DVD boxset and the blu-ray!

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I am curious as to how you wanted him to act post-regicide. :3
    Like how Scar was acting before the murder; threatening, evil, cunning, manipulative, sneaky, cold.

There's reasons why Maleficent is considered the best, home girl is evil till the end.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i can pretty much play the whole damn movie myself.
    ive seen this movie so many times that i know the entire script.

i love it, even at the age of 21 its still my nr.1 movie

even when the VHS was killed by the DVD i just couldnt get it over my heart to throw the VHS away.
    2 years ago (maybe a little longer) it finnaly came remastered on (blu-ray)DVD so i didnt hesitate to get one

Classic children movie, its a well deserved classic. Still good to watch.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We didn't get many special presents for no reason as kids because we were poor as all hell, but sometimes on Saturday mornings my sisters and I would wake up to find a brand new cellophane-wrapped VHS that my dad had brought home the night before after we were asleep. This is the first one I remember finding as a surprise. It was a big deal.

I consider this the last of the great Disney golden age films.

Articles
    Blog Entries

We have two copies of the VHS for some reason. No idea why. Both work just fine.