Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocahontas

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Pocahontas

Hey, guys, I've been meaning to ask you, have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon? Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned? Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

Well, can you? Can you!? I could have been finger painting all this time, but I thought I was allergic to paint when it was paint fumes I couldn't be around T_T Uh, anyways...

It came up in The Lion King discussion and I had planned to cover this anyway, so here it is. I first watched Pocahontas after it first came to video and I haven't watched it in years. From what I can vaguely remember, I liked it. I liked Pocahontas, what's his name and what's his face. I even have the toys and played the video game! Yup, living the good life.

Talk about Pocahontas here.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

No, but I can own the earth and still, all I own is earth until
    I can paint with all the colors of ... the ... wind

I kind of know this song by heart. Do the math!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eh... Probably my least favorite of the "princess" movies.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It was my favorite as a kid. It also gave me unrealistic hair expectations. As a kid I thought being like a quarter Cherokee was so freaking awesome that I could have been like Pocahontas! Then I got older and realized, hell everyone is part cherokee.

Graphically, this movie is one of the most beautiful disney films, in my opinion. It's less kiddy princess and more just stunningly gorgeous.

I also was a hippie wilderness child. My parents just made us go play outside. So my brother and I played a lot in "nature" aka our ranch. So I liked Pocahontas cause it was telling people to be nice to nature and the animals! The world is beautiful, no need to be jerkfaces to it. As a kid it resonated with me. And no need to judge people by their skin, they are all people of the earth!

I was an optimist.

Plus it mentions otters a lot in that movie.

My favorite lyric is from just around the river bend. "What I love most about rivers is, you can't step in the same river twice. The water's always changing always flowing."

As an avid lover of movie soundtracks (you guys really don't understand my love for it. I put on pandora stations of different movie composers. Even have a favorite tv show composer....). The instrumental version of listen with your heart is simply gorgeous.

And that is Freya's Fangirling.
    Last edited by Freya; 01-14-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I love Pocahontas! Lmao.. I'm probably like 1/4 Native American on my dad's side (via -his- dad), although I got stuck with being pale and red headed. Boooooooo.

Pocahontas isn't my absolute fav Disney Princess, but she's near the top of my list! And I absolutely -love- Milo and Flit!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Then I got older and realized, hell everyone is part cherokee.
    Way to make me feel little and insufficient, Freya! *runs into his room crying*

Seriously though, you make me want to watch the movie again after all this time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm not part cherokee! This is your chance to feel special!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I have problem taking it serious on this part, because of this dub parody in my native language
    Pocahontas dub - YouTube

But its a ok movie, i hated the singing part as a kid, like i did in almost every movie.
    Growing up sucks :P

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Definitely, the soundtrack hits a high point for me. It is gorgeous. Except that time that I was in the cinema early and the only song they played was Colours of the Wind for like 20 minutes. That's when it starts to grate...

I enjoy the movie itself too, though. Not my favourite, but I like all the characters and all that.

FFXIV Character

Minami Chan (Moogle)

Its one of my favourite Disney movies. I love the charas and the storyline and the soundtrack

I didn't like it much when I was little, about 6-7, but after watching it again now older, about a week ago, it's actually really fun and beautiful <3

It reminds me a little bit of Sleeping Beauty; it's like watching art. Some of the characters could be improved, same with the songs, but damn that art.

Pocahontas is a good Princess and role model; John Smith however the fact that he's voiced by Mel Gibson ruins everything for me, but he ends up going on home injured on a boat where we may not make it, so ....ehh...

sorry if that was a bit dark but...

Edit- The villain is also very blah and forgetful; he does get a little threatening near the end, but he's still very meh, his sidekick was hilarious though ;p

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

POCAHONTAS IS NOT A PRINCESS

I like this movie. Meeko and Percy are the best part, though. And Grandmother Willow is bad ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

She's the daughter of the chief.
    Which makes her a princess.

Just cuz she doesn't wear a crown and fall asleep somewhere doesn't mean she's not a princess.

-Mulan- is not a princess. Neither does she become one through marriage... Even though she's the most bad ass of them all ..

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think most Native American tribes recognize royalty. Daughter of a Chief =/= Princess.

Other characters who are not Princesses:

Mulan
    Alice (sometimes she's grouped in...probably because of Kingdom Hearts)
    Megara
    Esmerelda
    Jane
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Well yeah, true, but I mean in like Disney terms.

I started to say Tianna isn't a princess either, but she winds up being one when she marries that dude, doesn't she?