Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

Yes, EoFF, I am a Power Rangers fan!

It was one of the many, many shows I grew up watching as a kid. Many of you know me as ToriJ, but the name on my birth certificate spells out Thomas, and back then they used to call me Tommy. And who else was named Tommy? The mother smurfing Green Ranger! He had it all, the martial arts skills that rivaled Jason, the coolest Power Ranger costume, the gold shield, the best weapon, the best Zord, the girl, then he became the leader and got the girl a second time around. I lived through this man so hard as a kid it's not even funny.

So you bet when I heard there was going to be a Power Rangers movie I was excited. A ton of kids were excited. We were very excitable. I remember watching a program they had just to talk about the movie. Then I saw the movie and thought it was the greatest thing ever and then I played the game. Seen it, been there, bought the video game

And looking back... eh, it suffers from being a movie based off a TV show if that makes sense. It's short and they went flat out crazy with finally having a big movie budget. Gave the rangers a bunch of devices just because they could, messed with the uniforms and the CGI Zords were terrible. Then again if I remember right CGI in general back in those days were pretty terrible. Heh, back in those days... ........

Talk about Power Rangers!

THEYYYYYYYYYYY GOT...
    A POWER AND A FORCE LIKE YOU NEVER SEEN BEFORE!
    THEYYYYYYYYYYY GOT...
    THE ABILITY TO MORPH AND TO EVEN UP THE SCORE!
    NOOOOOOOOO ONE...
    CAN EVER BRING THEM DOWN!
    THE POWER LIES ON THEIR
    SIII-YIIIIII-YIIIII-YIIIII-YIIIIIIIIIIDE!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually just rewatched MMPR: The Movie just about a year ago with a bunch of college people. I think we watched that and the Big Bad Beetleborgs movie in the same not. That might have even been the same day we watched a few episodes of Super Human Samurai Syber Squad too... Those (also VR Troopers) were some of my favorites as a kid.

Anyways, this movie isn't that fantastic, but it still holds a lot of nostalgic value for me. I always liked how they had to swing their arms around and just generally jump around in an over the top fashion at every chance they got (but I guess the show was like that too). It's good fun. I do prefer the old Zords and uniforms over the new ones they got in the movie, though.

Also, Tommy was great. I loved the Green Ranger as a kid (like everyone else). I even had the vhs tape where Tommy teaches you karate moves, which was pretty awesome.

All 20 seasons (Plus Alien Rangers which is counted as a .5 season, the first movie, and the Re-Version of season 1) are on Netflix, and I am currently working my way through them all, just started season 3 (The last still called Might Morphin Power Rangers), the only thing missing from Netflix is the Turbo movie.

Blog Entries

Yes!! We were marathoning Power Rangers hardcore for like 2 weeks, but then it got to the bit where Kimberly bitches out and dumps Tommy and he starts dating Kat so I stopped watching it.

I -hated- Kat. And I still do.

I saw the movie in theaters and squeeled like a fan girl the entire time....

hehehe and 'cuz I like to Google people...

- Jason is now a Fatty McFatty pants & IDK what he does. JK. He's an EMT and a firefighter in D.C.

- Billy is Gay (he was also the last to be written off the show for good, yet he says that he was bullied on set by crew constantly for being gay). He's a producer now. And apparently he's a major asshole.

- Trini passed away in a car accident in California in 2001.

-Zack is quite embarrassed by the fact that he was on the show.. Or at least that's the impression I got while watching an interview of his. He's a producer or something too.

-Kimberly is still acting- she was in the movie "Sweetwater" about the 70's band and their singer Nancy Nevins (good flick), had a stint on "Felicity" with that chick who's name I can't remember 'cuz I never watched that show 'cuz trout like that is lame, and is now on the show "Flashpoint". Apparently she's also a singer/songwriter.

- Tommy has been in a couple of MMA fights and he's still hot. Buuuut he's a bible thumper now, which whatever. He has his own gym and like 6 kids. You can actually mail him a Green Ranger photo and he'll sign it. I seent it on his Twitter one time. He's also shooting a reality show right meow.

- Rocky (Red Ranger #2) also has his own dojo and teaches kids martial arts. He's won several awards and has occasionally appeared at Comic Cons.

- Adam (Black Ranger #2) is a voice actor. And he's even hotter than he was on the show. Kinda like an Asian version of Tom DeLong from Blink 182. He's actually got a really impressive resume when it comes to voice acting.

- Ashley (Yellow Ran #2) hasn't really done much since she left Power Rangers.. Just a few guest spots here and there. IDK what she's up to now.

- Kat (Pink Ranger #2) dropped off the face of the earth too, it seems like.

We used to play Power Rangers at school and I was -always- Kimberly.. I really looked up to her 'cuz we both did gymnastics and we were both really short/small.. She's 2 inches taller than me.

And I met Zack when I was 8 or 9 at a car show. XD I got his autograph. I don't have it anymore though.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I loved this movie. I loved Power Rangers. I had the same green hooded shirt that Tommy wore as the Green Ranger, but I ended up forgetting it on a train in South San Fransisco back in the early 90s. I was super bummed and cried for days. Even now I regret losing it. :C

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    Yes!! We were marathoning Power Rangers hardcore for like 2 weeks, but then it got to the bit where Kimberly bitches out and dumps Tommy and he starts dating Kat so I stopped watching it.

I -hated- Kat. And I still do.

I saw the movie in theaters and squeeled like a fan girl the entire time....

hehehe and 'cuz I like to Google people...

- Jason is now a Fatty McFatty pants & IDK what he does. JK. He's an EMT and a firefighter in D.C.

- Billy is Gay (he was also the last to be written off the show for good, yet he says that he was bullied on set by crew constantly for being gay). He's a producer now. And apparently he's a major asshole.

- Trini passed away in a car accident in California in 2001.

-Zack is quite embarrassed by the fact that he was on the show.. Or at least that's the impression I got while watching an interview of his. He's a producer or something too.

-Kimberly is still acting- she was in the movie "Sweetwater" about the 70's band and their singer Nancy Nevins (good flick), had a stint on "Felicity" with that chick who's name I can't remember 'cuz I never watched that show 'cuz trout like that is lame, and is now on the show "Flashpoint". Apparently she's also a singer/songwriter.

- Tommy has been in a couple of MMA fights and he's still hot. Buuuut he's a bible thumper now, which whatever. He has his own gym and like 6 kids. You can actually mail him a Green Ranger photo and he'll sign it. I seent it on his Twitter one time. He's also shooting a reality show right meow.

- Rocky (Red Ranger #2) also has his own dojo and teaches kids martial arts. He's won several awards and has occasionally appeared at Comic Cons.

- Adam (Black Ranger #2) is a voice actor. And he's even hotter than he was on the show. Kinda like an Asian version of Tom DeLong from Blink 182. He's actually got a really impressive resume when it comes to voice acting.

- Ashley (Yellow Ran #2) hasn't really done much since she left Power Rangers.. Just a few guest spots here and there. IDK what she's up to now.

- Kat (Pink Ranger #2) dropped off the face of the earth too, it seems like.

We used to play Power Rangers at school and I was -always- Kimberly.. I really looked up to her 'cuz we both did gymnastics and we were both really short/small.. She's 2 inches taller than me.

And I met Zack when I was 8 or 9 at a car show. XD I got his autograph. I don't have it anymore though.
    Tommy was in more Power Rangers than Billy, Billy left in Zeo, Tommy left as a main character in Turbo, and shows up still in the current season as a one off. The second Yellow Ranger was Aisha, not Ashley =P.

Blog Entries

Yeah. I was looking her up. The Aisha actress is Karen Ashley lol. I got the 2 confused.

I knew Tommy still made appearances in more recent episodes, but I thought Billy stuck around as a recurring role for much longer than just Zeo- even though he wasn't a power ranger anymore.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Man you are like on the biggest nineties binge ever right now.

Also Power Rangers are great

Blog Entries

lmao He is!

I've been stuck on stuff like this for awhile now myself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I actually just rewatched MMPR: The Movie just about a year ago with a bunch of college people. I think we watched that and the Big Bad Beetleborgs movie in the same not. That might have even been the same day we watched a few episodes of Super Human Samurai Syber Squad too... Those (also VR Troopers) were some of my favorites as a kid.

Anyways, this movie isn't that fantastic, but it still holds a lot of nostalgic value for me. I always liked how they had to swing their arms around and just generally jump around in an over the top fashion at every chance they got (but I guess the show was like that too). It's good fun. I do prefer the old Zords and uniforms over the new ones they got in the movie, though.

Also, Tommy was great. I loved the Green Ranger as a kid (like everyone else). I even had the vhs tape where Tommy teaches you karate moves, which was pretty awesome.
    My brother had both of those on VHS too-- wait, there's a Big Bad Beetleborgs movie? *runs to the video store* ... *comes back because those don't exist anymore*

Quote Originally Posted by Tasura View Post
    the only thing missing from Netflix is the Turbo movie.
    Blessing in disguise, really.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    Jason, if you're going to emulate a time period of my life don't do that one!

I still love Amy Jo Johnson to this day. I liked her before I knew I liked girls, and not too sure about the Zack thing. Last I heard he's still showing up at cons talking about Power Rangers so he must not be all that embarrassed by it. Already knew the things about Red, Blue and Yellow. Sad she died and a shame if that was the reason he was being bullied. I could tell Jason David Frank was a real prankster in a couple behind the scenes shots I saw of him with the rest of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Man you are like on the biggest nineties binge ever right now.

Also Power Rangers are great
    I will not rest until the nineties are seen by all and then someone from the eighties come in talking about how much the nineties sucked and goes on an eighties binge.
    Last edited by Ayen; 01-15-2014 at 04:56 AM.

Blog Entries

The only good thing about the 80's was my birth. ... And maybe Rainbow Brite, Barbie & The Rockers, Lady Lovely Locks, & JEM.

BAM.

Nah, the deal with David Yost- he later went to work as a producer for TMZ and claimed he was bullied there too, but another producer said none of that ever happened and David was just really hard to work with. That bit is in a "Where Are They Now?" article on the ABC News website.. I can't remember where I read about the bullying on the set of MMPR.

And with Walter Jones, I could've sworn the interview I watched he kinda hinted towards not wanting to be associated with the show, but then I found it and it was actually him saying that he didn't leave the show on the best of terms - something about money and whatnot. My bad! lol

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, shame on him for using his sexuality to accuse people of bullying when there those who actually do go through that trout.

He also loses respect for being associated with TMZ >.>

I think they all wanted raises, didn't they? Isn't that why they wrote them out in their Rangers costume and immediately replaced them?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's possible the Big Bad Beetleborgs movie was on netflix. I watched it in college on the same night we watched the MMPR movie on Netflix. It's also possible that someone on our floor just happened to have a VHS copy of it, though.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I heard they are doing a reunion recently.