Thread: Toy Story

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Toy Story

Toy Story was the last movie I saw in theaters in 1995 and was one of my favorite childhood movies. I didn't know at the time that this was actually the first full featured CGI film to be made. That's pretty cool and it still holds up well even today. I was delighted when I heard they were making a second movie several years later and surprised to hear a third one was actually being made. I saw all three in theaters and loved them. 1 and 3 were my favorites. 2 was okay, but had some jokes I thought were meh.

Talk about Toy Story

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I keep trying to catch my toys moving around sometimes, and I can never catch them doing so. Toy Story makes me want to never get rid of my toys from when I was a kid, haha.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

The funny thing about Toy Story is that it was far from the first movie to use "toys coming alive" as a theme. I can think of two other movies that did it first that I watched a million times as a kid and those actually inspired me to start writing my first novel (about my toys coming alive and waging war on each other, of course) when I was about twelve years old. Toy Story came out about a year later and I recall thinking "Great, now no one will ever read my book"

(Yes that book was completed. No, no one gets to read it because I wrote it when I was a kid and it's terrible. xD)

Nothing at all against Toy Story though; it's great. It was a huge deal when it came out because of the CGI thing, and for successfully pulling off what Walt Disney did decades before - turning a technological marvel into a story that people care about.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    The funny thing about Toy Story is that it was far from the first movie to use "toys coming alive" as a theme. I can think of two other movies that did it first that I watched a million times as a kid and those actually inspired me to start writing my first novel (about my toys coming alive and waging war on each other, of course) when I was about twelve years old. Toy Story came out about a year later and I recall thinking "Great, now no one will ever read my book"

(Yes that book was completed. No, no one gets to read it because I wrote it when I was a kid and it's terrible. xD)

Nothing at all against Toy Story though; it's great. It was a huge deal when it came out because of the CGI thing, and for successfully pulling off what Walt Disney did decades before - turning a technological marvel into a story that people care about.
    Out of curiosity, what two movies are those? I remember one myself but I think it was a made-for-TV thing that probably barely anyone else saw. Then again I think it was Jim Henson so maybe it got more exposure than I'm expecting.

Anyway, yeah, classic films. I don't remember 2 that well but 1 and 3 are classics. If you don't bawl like a baby at that one part of 3 (you'll know the part if you've seen it) you probably have no soul. Then again the same could be said for several of Pixar's other films as well.

Also I saw this earlier today and it blew my mind.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Only one I can think of is Indian in the Cover, and I'd hardly count it since it's the kid making the toys come to life instead of already being alive.

Holy crap that theory blows my mind o.o

And yes, I did bawl at that moment. Last time I remember crying at the theaters too.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Out of curiosity, what two movies are those? I remember one myself but I think it was a made-for-TV thing that probably barely anyone else saw. Then again I think it was Jim Henson so maybe it got more exposure than I'm expecting.
    One of them was called "The Christmas Toy" (I think) and was indeed a Muppets thing. It was surprisingly dark because if a toy was caught alive by a human then that toy would never come to life again.

The other was... I don't remember quite what it was called. "Teddy Bear Picnic" maybe? It was about teddy bears who all went to the teddy bear picnic once a year and had to avoid being seen by humans as they traveled.

:monster:

The Christmas Toy was the one I saw. I thought I was the only person in the world who had seen that besides my parents. Then again I guess I shouldn't be surprised; Henson was pretty well known.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Christmas Toy is pretty much the same plot of Toy Story. I loved that movie.

Toy Story was great and revolutionary for animation at the time. It has since aged and isn't as good in retrospect as it's sequels, which are much more polished. It's still a great movie though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I need to find my VHS of The Christmas Toy again. I used to watch that one all the time.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The last one was a bummer. They threw Woody off the bus.