Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's top 25 videogame random award show!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinternational Man of Mystery View Post
    I have no idea what first place will be and the suspense is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I too am hyped for the sequel! I wonder if they stick with animal masks or whether they're going to mix things up.
    Yep, as you later posted it's going to be multiple perspectives, including the film, the fans, and the protagonist from the main storyline (although from my understanding of the story (SPOILER)he's dead and the motorcyclists ending is the real one).
    That wouldn't surprise me at all, as statistically (SPOILER)Biker slaughtered me so many times in that boss fight I don't know how the first guy would ever stand a chance.

#22:

demonssouls1.jpg

Demon's Souls

This bone-crushing RPG for Playstation 3 is awarded with:
    "Most innovative multiplayer"
    "Most Garl Vinland epic-ness"
    "Most honourable knight"
    "Most deaths by an old dude with a white beard"

Of course Demon’s Souls is on the list! Having played it’s bigger brother first I jumped into Demon’s Souls with high expectations. What I found was the origin of the innovative elements that hooked me into the series roughly a year before. The scarce amount of NPC’s, their motivations morally grey and intriguing, bosses grotesque and relentless, the well crafted level structures, new challenges around every corner, rewards for both taking risks and thinking things through, and perhaps the most innovative multiplayer options I’ve seen in a videogame.

You'll never know who's beneath the funny hat.

demonssouls2.jpg

Let's talk bosses. Spoiler section
    The Old Monk boss is a perfect example of how progressive this title was. Any other player with the intention of ending your life could take the official form of this boss (including crazy hat), giving the fight a degree of intensity unmatched by any other.

The Dragon King on the other hand marks the low point in my opinion. A powerful dragon, so easily and gimmicky slain really hurts Demon's Souls' credibility. Now that I think of it, every dragon or drake to slay is more a chore rather than a glorious battle. Rough edges like these keep Demon's Souls from getting higher on the list.

Another personal favourite are Maiden Astraea and her brave knight Garl Vinland. More like a drama than an actual fight, I really felt remorse for slaying her protector and herself. Umbasa.

"Go forth, Garl Vinland. May you be unharmed."

Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 18.02.54.png

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

smurfing zubats. I hate them so much they're everywhere.

I really want to try Demon's Souls one day but far out Dark Souls is hard enough for me xD

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yay Pokemon Blue! I like Pokemon and blue is my favorite color so naturally I approve of this entry.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Blue is my favorite color, and Squirtle - Blastoise is my favorite of the starter Pokemon, but for some reason I think Red is the better version between the two. It's probably just because that's the first one I ever got, though Yellow is truly the best of that generation.

I need to play Demon's Souls one of these days, especially since I own it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't get how you weigh one over the other. Red and Blue are basically the same game with different Pokemon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like I said, it's probably because it was the version I first got as a kid. I honestly can't weigh one over the other. Although, it was probably the first video game I ever actually got on a computer to research stuff for. I had pages and pages of printouts of pokemon stuff when I was a kid, and I do remember looking into the different pokemon in each version, so I must have liked the pokemon exclusive to Red more, but I don't know.

I used to have that Blue vs. Red argument with my best friend who had red! We traded some Pokémon and man how old school was that system, cable and all

Next entry coming tomorrow morning!

#21:

Portal2portals.jpg

Portal / Portal 2

These inter-dimensional games have been rewarded with the following awards:

‘Friendliest evil robots’

‘Biggest lie’

‘Best 4th dimension’

‘Best dressed king’

‘Best potato’

When I saw the first Portal trailer my mind was blown. Literally bending space and time as a game mechanic was mighty impressive and the mind-bending factor grabbed my attention from the get go. It wasn’t until years later that I finally had a decent computer to play it on. Portal was a short but sweet ride. Filled with humour that was both funny and creepy the mind-bending puzzles were challenging and a joy to explore. A cool concept with a cool story without even an ounce of filler or exploitation; I dig.

Psychedelic surreal inter-dimensional hype!

portal2.jpg

While the first kept things relatively goody-goody, Portal 2 came and showed more guts and more experimentation. The ride was longer and had many twists that had me thinking “I must be close to the end by now”, only to slap me in the face, throw me in another section and keep the adventure going strong. Things never got dull and that’s awesome. Storytelling reached new heights and showed light on the intriguing backstory of the original.

Best dressed king without a doubt.

portal3.png

I wish I had a portal gun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

How did Portal not win Best Cake?

Rigged! RIGGED!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I loved the Portal games, they're so simple in concept but smurfing incredible in execution.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    How did Portal not win Best Cake?

Rigged! RIGGED!
    Because the cake is a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I loved the Portal games, they're so simple in concept but smurfing incredible in execution.
    Word brother.

#20:

tricky1.jpg

SSX Tricky

This out of this world snowboarding title is awarded with:

'Best afro'

'Catchiest tune'

While everybody else was murdering gangsters and hoes in GTAIII I was shredding the gnar in SSX Tricky. It was the first game I bought for PS2 and it was glorious. Despite being a snowboard fan myself I have absolutely no issues with the laws of physics getting thrown out the window. Tricky was ridiculous fun and I played it for months on end to the point where my save file containing 8 out of 12 completely maxed out characters was officially declared holy.

The madness of the Tokyo Megaplex:

tricky3.jpg

Racing in Tricky was the best in the series. The mix of tricks, boost and shortcuts was very well balanced with the difficulty curve and made every final heat a challenge.

There was a friend/rival system depending on which other racers you had punched in the face. I think I had only rivals by the end of it. Knockdown! No regrets.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I need to get this game someday. I used to play SSX Tricky at a friend's house every once in a while, and I loved it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pack this into the bin of the many, many games I have never heard of before.