Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's top 25 videogame random award show!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Very short, but I got more out of that short game than I got out of the majority of AAA games I've played in the past decade.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I need to play it period. At least now I have the actual system it's on.
    Get it. You won't regret it : )

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    smurf don't let me forget to play Journey sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I hope to remember to play this in the next few days.
    I'll be sure to remind you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Yeah, Journey is on my 'to play' list. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Isn't it a pretty short play though length?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Very short, but I got more out of that short game than I got out of the majority of AAA games I've played in the past decade.
    BoB speaks the truth! Also I'd like to add: Journey is best played in one sitting. It's movie length.

Updates on the list will slow down a bit as I have guests over for the week. I'll write whenever I find the time and try to keep things going! In the meantime wild guesses for #14 are allowed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Y'no, I don't think Journey can really be played in any way but in one sitting. I've never even considered it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've played it in multiple sittings before, but it was after I had already played through it a bunch of times. I'd sometimes get on Journey in the few minutes I had between classes in college to destress because of how calming the game is for me.

Although, usually I'd just get on Just Cause 2 and cause havoc for a while in order to destress.

We're back!

mgs33.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

This sneaky crawly game jungle boogies to the following awards:

‘Best camouflaged’
    ‘Most violent use of a fork’
    ‘Most original feeding options’
    ‘Best crocodile cosplay’
    ‘Best sniper battle’

Metal Gear Solid 3 sneaks past the competition into 14th place. To be honest I wish I could have placed it even higher because it does amazing things, but I also have a few problems with it.

First up, the good! The broken elbow scene still makes me cringe in a good way. The jungle setting is awesome. I love how the lack of mega technology makes sneaking more primitive. There’s tons of items to gather. I love the option of blowing up weapon and food storages and even a heli to make your journey easier. Enemies have pretty human reactions when shot or scared with a crocodile mask. The fight with the End is the best sniper battle in the series and I also dig every way you can finish or skip the fight. The Fury is another tense and atmospheric fight. I love how the game changes pace when you get out of the jungle. Speaking of which, the pacing in general is phenomenal and so is the level design for every single area - both jungle and building environments.

One of the best bosses ever:

mgs32.jpg

But now the bad. I hate the false promises this game makes. We see Snake CQC like a boss (pun intended) and take rapid shots with inhuman accuracy in cutscenes. But with the controls and mechanics as they are it is impossible to achieve the same level of high pace fighting as previously shown. The game simply doesn’t have Snake’s abilities straight and I consider it a lie. The fight with the Fear isn’t fearsome at all (why the daylight setting for the fight if you just made us walk through the same area in scary nighttime?), and the Pain is pretty lame too. I also never got the final battle, is it even possible to CQC the whole thing? It seems to be intended to, but other options are just so much easier.

Metal Gear Solid 3 does amazing things, but I can’t help but feel it never reached it’s full potential.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I still to this day has never managed to beat The End.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I still to this day has never managed to beat The End.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is possible to CQC the Boss.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How long ago did you try to beat him, ToriJ? Considering the answer to that question, it may be worthwhile popping the disk (if that memory card still exists) and trying it out.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Considering you can beat the End by either waiting a week or turning the system clock forward, there's no excuse for not beating him.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know this news is important to everyone in this thread who questioned what I was doing with my life: I have now beat Mario World. By that I mean I've beaten Bowser... I by no means beat every level, haha. I will probably go through and try to do that. Currently working my way through the Special stages after Star Road.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Came back to it longer than a week and The End was still alive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It may even be a month or so? I know it's at least a couple of weeks you have to wait for that trick. You can also do up down up down left right left right square triangle while looking at your map and it will show you his location if I remember right.

I never got into the series while it was ongoing. When I went back and tried later, I found myself utterly unable to do much with them. Like most PS1 games, it just didn't age well. Clunky and unintuitive controls, and poor explanation for enemy detection. I gave the game up before even finishing the first mission. It was nearly unplayable.

So I never made it to MGS3, even though I own it. And I probably never will.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    It is possible to CQC the Boss.
    I thought so. How valid is this method on the various difficulty settings? I don't think I was ever able to even on Normal. If at all a valid method to defeat the Boss, I still consider it a game design flaw as countering and actual long CQC fights are pretty much non-existent up to that point. At least I think there's no way to learn how to counter in CQC anywhere else in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I know this news is important to everyone in this thread who questioned what I was doing with my life: I have now beat Mario World. By that I mean I've beaten Bowser... I by no means beat every level, haha. I will probably go through and try to do that. Currently working my way through the Special stages after Star Road.
    Congrats brother you make us proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    It may even be a month or so? I know it's at least a couple of weeks you have to wait for that trick.
    Yeah it's something like two weeks. I love how they implemented that! Such a unique twist. I also dig how the End never really kills you. Such a friendly dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I never got into the series while it was ongoing. When I went back and tried later, I found myself utterly unable to do much with them. Like most PS1 games, it just didn't age well. Clunky and unintuitive controls, and poor explanation for enemy detection. I gave the game up before even finishing the first mission. It was nearly unplayable.

So I never made it to MGS3, even though I own it. And I probably never will.
    Interesting. I actually find MGS1 to have the best defined gameplay and most fluid controls. But more on that later... maybe