Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sitcoms - and why they end the way they do

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The secret to a good Sitcom is not dragging it out and having a smurfton of episodes. Brevity is the soul of wit. It's like, yeah, Ray's mother is still pushy and his brother is a big mopey whiner, Sheldon is still a dick, Ted is still a lonely dork etc. etc. We get it. We've heard this joke dozens of times. Not funny anymore. It's always interested me that American shows can have 20+ episodes in a season, whereas British ones have often been traditionally six, and on the whole I find British sitcoms to be funnier than American ones. Having said that, Fresh Prince lasted ages and was still funny, and It's Always Sunny is hanging on in there!

I think as well, when you start getting all hokey and making the focus be the events the character's lives (Obligatory Wedding Episode and Baby Story Arc are not and never will be funny) rather than funnies you're on shaky ground and bordering on soap opera territory.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The key question here echoing Paul's comments is 'Why are seasons so long in American shows?' I mean, even when you look away from shows like sitcoms which often have 20+ episodes a season to dramas like Dexter or Sons Of Anarchy (tbf, I love both and always want more) having 12 episodes in a season, if not 16 - 18 even is a little much. With UK shows it can be as few as 3 hour long episodes per season, a longer season will engender 6 - 9 episodes.

I think America's missing the fact that too much of a good thing, can be worse than less. Something I think that British TV with exception of it's huge pantheon of soaps which are now shown 5 - 7 days a week with casts which are and do interchange at times, has done correctly.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    The key question here echoing Paul's comments is 'Why are seasons so long in American shows?'
    Answers: 1) ratings, and 2) money.

I'd prefer to cut a story short in a golden age than to see it live long enough to become a twisted shadow of what it was before. I have never not seen this happen. Even 30 Rock was stretching it at the end.

I think it's also to do with the writers. In the UK there is usually only one or two. In the Us there's a group of them so it's weasier to churn our episode after episode.

I don't mind long seasons when it works. Fraser worked, the Us Office worked (until season 7), however most of the time it doesn't and seasons seem spread over thinly with some obviously weak shows in the mix.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The number of episodes in a season doesn't really matter. It's the total number of episodes that makes a difference. Most sitcoms just go on way too long. Arrested Development was a show many believe was cut short too early (and it probably was) but maybe that was for the best as it kept the show fresh and never allowed it to stale (like it did in the recent revival).

The Simpsons is a show I think has been able to keep its variety over time. Sure, it's no where near as great as it used to be, but for a show that's 20+ years old I still find myself laughing at new jokes. Seinfeld is also a show I felt did not rehash a lot of material, but others seem to disagree. I definitely see this in shows like Raymond or Big Bang Theory, however.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Every American TV show jumps the shark eventually. It's an inevitability with the large churning out of episodes and seasons.
    Which is why Breaking Bad ended after just 5 1/2 seasons, but honestly it probably could've been awesome if it had one more season. A few of the episodes -- particularly the gunfight episode -- felt rushed.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Boy Meets World - Very satisfying, heartfelt ending. Again, a lot of people take issue with the later seasons (at least amongst my friends), but the ending was pretty great I felt. If I remember right, it had a lot of recycled footage, but it was a nice send off to the characters and a nice moment of looking back on everything they went through.
    I agree. The final scene with Mr. Feeny was very touching.

Did you know they're making a spin-off? It'll be Girl Meets World, about Cory and Topanga's daughter. Those two so far are the only returning cast members at the moment but they want to at least have cameos from all the old cast members.

I think they've shot the pilot and all they're waiting for is for someone to pick the show up, I could be wrong though.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think Big Bang Theory should have lasted for just one more season to better wrap things up. Raj could use a partner and what is Penny's last name!!!??? What happened to Leslie?? I still have so many questions!