Thread: Sitcoms - and why they end the way they do

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Agree to disagree. The ending jumped the shark and was too much for my taste in the show.
    I think an example of jumping the shark is the ending you described. I'm with Vivi22 on this one!

They had two rules, no hugging, no learning, and they stuck with it to the end.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post

Roseanne - Awful awful awful. I love this show way more than I should, and that final season, including the final episode, just felt like a smack in the face in a lot of ways. It was just so weird, too.
    yeah, the last season actually surprised me it was awful that they just kind of threw in "and everything was just a big (SPOILER)OLD BOOK" but yeah i agree.
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

Every American TV show jumps the shark eventually. It's an inevitability with the large churning out of episodes and seasons.

However I liked the end of Seinfeld. There was no dumb ending based on sentiment. It was decent.

Blog Entries

all of those episodes forever.

i can't watch end episodes of series because i either end up angry or crying, i haven't honestly watched tv in long enough to avoid it
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I've seen nearly ever episode of Full House and Fresh Prince... but I honestly don't remember if I've seen the endings of those. I probably have, but they don't stick out.
    Full House series finale was the two part episode where Michelle lost her memory. Originally they were going to have one more season, but John Stamos didn't like the idea of moving to a younger network like the WB and the rest of the cast felt it was time to move on. That's why Full House's ending doesn't pop, because at the time of writing there was no solid plan that that was going to be the end. Other than the bit at the end where they talked about always overcoming obstacles.

I don't remember the ending of Fresh Prince either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    A lot of people disagree with this I hear but I thought Seinfeld had the perfect ending for the show. You get cameos from a lot of the best characters, the main characters learn absolutely nothing and absolutely nothing of any real value happened. The show ended the way it began and the way it was for its entire run: focused on the silly minutia in the lives of four awful people.
    Agreed. I love Seinfeld and that ending was perfect.

Roseanne's ending still makes me O_O

Blog Entries

Roseanne was the absolute worst in terms of Series Finales, even though I bawl my eyes out like a baby watching it. So. Stinking. Sad. But it makes me happy that Darlene, David, & Aunt Jackie are somewhat together again in Big Bang Theory!

I don't think I ever saw the Full House finale.. I don't really care for that show nowadays anyway... I used to love it, but now? It's just...Too wholesome.

I didn't care for That 70's Show after Jackie & Hyde broke up and Jackie started dating Fez. Finally saw the last episode and really wasn't impressed.I definitely stopped watching after Topher Grace left the show.. That new guy was annoying.

I -did- really appreciate the last episode of Home Improvement, though. I think it was very well done, indeed.

The Office (US) I stopped watching after Jim and Pam got married and had the baby.. I think that was when it started going downhill for me officially.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I've heard all kinds of explanations for that Roseanne finale. Ranging from her regaining creative control that she had lost during the events the finale undid, to her buying some other show that didn't work out and she was trying to make Roseanne into that show.

:monster:

Does Arrested Development count as a sitcom? Because the original ending of that was perfect. Even though I wanted them to make ten more seasons.

30 Rock is another example of a great sitcom that had an almost incomprehensible ending. At least it was to me. Maybe I just need to watch it again.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Count me in the camp that didn't like the Seinfeld ending. The episode itself was ok, but the last few minutes were weird and didn't make any sense. :huffy:

The Office (US) had one of the best endings for a show. It was full of heart, featured the return of past characters, allowed the current characters to move on, and stayed true to the tone of the rest of the series.

It's' tough to end a sitcom because most of them are just about the lives of the characters. How do you end that without killing them all or making them break up in some way? Sometimes I wish a show would just end with them going off on one more adventure instead of all moving away like in Fresh Prince, Full House, and Friends, but I can see how that wouldn't be a satisfying finale for many.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Echoing everyone who said they hated the last season/finale of Roseanne. Lord in heaven, it was SO BAD. Although I did think the last few minutes where she told people how their lives really were was sweet and always gets tears. The final shot of her sitting on the couch or whatever, just heartbreaking, because you know that trout doesn't get better. I always found it really confusing that she switched Darlene/David and Becky/Mark. How does that work, exactly? Are you saying that the last four or five years is a lie, and not just the last year or so?

I'm not looking forward to the HIMYM ending. If the last few seasons (and this season, especially) have been any indicator, it's going to be horrid. Which sucks, because I used to love this show so much. At this point I'm just watching because I know it's about to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly don't think any sitcom has ever been good in the history of forever. It was just something to watch to kill time. I don't, and will never see the appeal of shows like Modern Family, Seinfeld (the whitest show in the world by the way), Community, Big Bang Theory, etc.

And their laugh tracks are horrible. Things get real uninteresting in the first ten minutes of the show with 20+ laugh track inserts (looking at you Big Bang Theory).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

While by definition both Community and Modern Family are sitcoms, the production value and script-writing is so much better than your average sitcom. But you can't really lump them in with the likes of HIMYM or Two Broke Girls or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just pictured a Community scene where there's a laugh track and Abed is the only one who can hear it. Assuming that hasn't already been done.

Blog Entries

Not a sitcom, but Gossip Girl's ending was absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I honestly don't think any sitcom has ever been good in the history of forever. It was just something to watch to kill time. I don't, and will never see the appeal of shows like Modern Family, Seinfeld (the whitest show in the world by the way), Community, Big Bang Theory, etc.

And their laugh tracks are horrible. Things get real uninteresting in the first ten minutes of the show with 20+ laugh track inserts (looking at you Big Bang Theory).
    Most British sitcoms have an audience recorded laughter but it's never ever spoiled it for me. They're usually pretty good.