Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it about the internet that turns people into alcoholics?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default What is it about the internet that turns people into alcoholics?

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think alcoholism is a symptom of many things, and is not acquired like a virus through the internet.

That, or you see all the stupid people from sites like literallyunbelievable and failbook and you just... don't want to deal with any of that.

Also, internet people can be jerks. I don't understand why, anonymity I guess, but they sure can be mean. I mean, just because you don't like somebody's article or something doesn't mean that the person should die. That's pretty messed up.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think it's limited to the internet. You can find tones in any social commonplace or setting putting alcohol and alcoholic experiences on a pedestal these days.

I am generally not driven to drink based on what happens on the internet. Exceptions include herbal harassment from Huxley and Raistlin involving words I dislike.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I find that I just get goofier in general. And that no one should let me online when I am drunk. Here are two (don't worry short) reasons why. Spoiler tagged so I am not a big jerk.

(SPOILER)

Blog Entries

I don't drink so I dunno

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    You can find tones in any social commonplace or setting putting alcohol and alcoholic experiences on a pedestal these days.
    Yeah this kind of bugs me. I don't care if people drink, but I hate being treated like a weirdo because I don't drink often. I drink like twice a year, maybe 3 or 4, and not because I'm actively trying to avoid it but because I just have no urge to drink. I get in the mood sometimes, but most of the time I would rather drink something else because there are a good number of beverages that I prefer the taste of over alcohol. But when someone offers me a drink and I say no thank you, or they find out how often I drink, they treat me like I just told them I once sold my cat for magic beans. Then I get a lot of "Ohmygosh why??!?!" Because I don't...feel...like it? Is that really so strange?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    You can find tones in any social commonplace or setting putting alcohol and alcoholic experiences on a pedestal these days.
    Yeah this kind of bugs me. I don't care if people drink, but I hate being treated like a weirdo because I don't drink often. I drink like twice a year, maybe 3 or 4, and not because I'm actively trying to avoid it but because I just have no urge to drink. I get in the mood sometimes, but most of the time I would rather drink something else because there are a good number of beverages that I prefer the taste of over alcohol. But when someone offers me a drink and I say no thank you, or they find out how often I drink, they treat me like I just told them I once sold my cat for magic beans. Then I get a lot of "Ohmygosh why??!?!" Because I don't...feel...like it? Is that really so strange?
    I agree too. It was annoying when I was not a drinker, and it still is when I drink (hearing people say that to others now). I just try to enjoy company, no matter what is going on, really. It's also irritating when people find out you don't smoke pot. I don't care if anyone else does, but that's a vice I never picked up on.
    Last edited by Sephex; 01-17-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: It was not by my edit that I was once again given typos

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Generally, if people engage in behaviour that they perceive as being "bad" or "unhealthy", then they do not like it if there's one lone person quietly going about their business without engaging in that behaviour too, because then the group might have to reassess their decisions and take accountability for themselves.

I most often see this "it's okay as long as everyone is doing it" mentality watching women decide whether or not to eat junk food that people bring to work. There's a lot of "Oh, I'm going to be really bad and have half a doughnut!" or "Well, I'll have a piece seeing as it's your birthday..." and "Ooh, should we? Okay, let's share this chocolate bar then" kind of talk that makes me want to smack people in the face. I've also had people try to pressure me to eat, and that's just as obnoxious. Order a drink, or don't. Eat the cake, or don't. I don't need to hear your monologue on the misplaced ethics of a doughnut on your waistline. If you're wondering if you should have that extra drink, you probably shouldn't. Having a piece of cake isn't "bad", and the internet doesn't turn people into alcoholics - my entire technologically inept family is proof of that. You can't be peer pressured into doing something that you don't at least want to try - and I differentiate between peer pressure and things like threats and blackmail. I know alcoholics that drink every day, and I know alcoholics who haven't had a drink in thirty years. If anyone tries to shame you for either drinking, or choosing to be sober, then you need to find better people to associate with.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

If you spend enough time on the internet you might realise that you spent time on the internet because life sucks and that drives me to drink

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

PSH.

I don't need the intarwebz to be an alcoholic.

It's just more fun to be in chat when I'm inebriated.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't know that the internet turning people into alcoholics was even a thing. It's a thing?

ITT: ~serious discussion in general chat~

I like to drink and I like to go on the internet. Of COURSE I would do those in tandem.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn't the internet that turned me towards being an alcoholic. Being an alcoholic turned me towards staying on the internet.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Whenever someone says "Man, I need a drink" it always has less to do with them needing a drink and more to do with them wanting to announce to someone they drink.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The internet doesn't make people alcoholics. People are alcoholics for far less worse things that the internet.

Most people I imagine probably think I'm drunk because that is commonplace on this site, but I only drink for special events or in the rare occasion with just a Smirnoff or Bud to unwind while I play the vidyas. I more so like to get other people really drunk and then remind them of the horrible things they did that they claim to not remember. I am the designated sober troll.