Thread: I've asked before but explain to me like I'm five

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default I've asked before but explain to me like I'm five

Weapon upgrading. I still don't get it. Why use a new weapon I found when my upgraded one are better. What's a good weapon for each character. I just suck at this weapon thing

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

New weapons have the potential to be stronger when you upgrade them to the same level as your currently upgraded weapon. If I remember right, I never switched to a new weapon until I had upgraded it, though. It's been a while since I've played aside from the little I played for the Forum Let's Play, and I haven't messed with upgrading there yet.

I can't help with what weapon for what character though

Lionheart
    Malboro Wand (Belladonna)
    Prokyons
    Gungnir
    and for Hope and Snow it depends. Sazh has also another good weapon but basically that's it and those should become Ultima Weapons.

It is more about which weapon has which effect. As long as you don't go for totally effective battle you can just upgrade what you want as the power of other weapons is also enough.

I've never played XIII, but what's keeping you from just playing the game the way you want to play it? Use the weapons you want to use and smurf everything else. I didn't realize there was a "right" or "wrong" way to play a Final Fantasy game (or any video game, for that matter)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Its not that I'm playing it a certain way compared to others. Its I dunno how this weapon system works.

Essentially, weapons are interchangeable, stat-wise. However, each has unique effects that determine how they boost certain play styles. So until you know which weapon you want, it is better to avoid upgrading.

Although, really, you're better off not upgrading at all. Except for the Long GUI, nothing requires upgrades, and it makes five-star ratings much easier to get.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Really you just wanna pick the weapons whose added effects compliment your playstyle well. For example, if you like having Vanille spam death, the Marlboro Wand is very useful. Why use an upgraded weapon with no effect when you can have an upgraded weapon with a very useful one?

As for upgrading effectively it's pretty simple:

1. Pick a weapon to upgrade.
    2. Use "organic" components to boost the experience modifier
    3. When it's all the way up, use "synthetic" components

You may want to auto sort the list to more easily distinguish between organic and synthetic.

Or don't upgrade. Whatever is more fun for you :v

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I'm at work right now, but I'll look up what I did to fully God-like my characters and post it.. I'm pretty sure I upgraded like three times throughout the game for each character (using organic components) until I got into end-game content, then I picked the weapons that best-suited me and fully upgraded those.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    I didn't realize there was a "right" or "wrong" way to play a Final Fantasy game (or any video game, for that matter)
    I tried playing Mario Kart with my feet once. Trust me, that was the wrong way to play it.