Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter for Matsuno's "Unsung Story" Launched

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Kickstarter for Matsuno's "Unsung Story" Launched

So, if you're a fan of Yasumi Matsuno like I am, there's a chance you've heard that he's been working on a new project with American Developer Playdek. Just thought I should share that the kickstarter just launched today. I'll update this post once I read more information.

UPDATE: So Unsung Heroes is a series conceived in part by Matsuno, while being developed by Playdek. As of right now, there are two card games being developed alongside Unsung Heroes: Tale of the Guardians, a full tactical RPG which, if this kickstarter is successful, will be developed for Mac and PC. It takes place during the 77 Years War (Oh Matsuno ) and will tell the story of different people from multiple sides of the conflict.

Stretch goals include a Vita port, a 3DS port, involvement with Vagrant Story translator Alexander O. Smith (one of my favorite localizers next to Jeremy Blaustein and Ted Woolsey), music composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto, and more.
    Last edited by Edge7; 01-15-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    Returners Represent!

Just caught this off of Polygon earlier today. From what I understand, the game will be made, regardless. Because Playdek is fine with making quality mobile games already from what I hear. And the main goal behind the Kickstarter is to put the game on handheld systems like Vita and 3DS (and possibly PSN/XBLA?). I admit I haven't read the entire Kickstarter or article. But for anyone wanting the spiritual successor to Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics on a real gaming system, this is a pretty awesome endeavor. I was never a big fan of FFT. But good tactical RPGs are so few these days I'll probably jump on board just for the exposure and the possibilities

Articles
    Blog Entries

Anyone who enjoys video games should be a fan of Matsuno. This project looks great and I would be thrilled to play it for Vita. I am concerned about them making some of those stretch goals, though. The kickstarter doesn't seem to be moving that fast.

A very sick part of me wants to ignore this so Matsuno will be forced to go back to making Ivalice/Xytegenia games. But this will be the first game I back on Kickstarter. If the Bolivar stamp of approval means anything, I think EoFFers should check this out.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I wish there was some gameplay to preview. This might be some crappy iOS game with Matsuno's name pasted on the front. This says he's not involved in designing the gameplay at all, only the story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

To be fair, he did plan the game design though. He's just not programming or directing anything.
    Returners Represent!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Default Team lead by Yasumi Matsuno (FFT) asks for kickstarter support for new SRPG game

It has recently come to my attention that California-based Playdek, with Yasumi Matsuno in the lead, is turning to Kickstarter to fund one of their newest game Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians. Playdek is mostly known for mobile games, and even for their new title, this was initially the plan. However, as I understand it, due to a lot of feedback from gamers around the world, they changed their mind and wanted to make the game available for a vast number of platforms, as long as they could find a way to raise funding for it, and that's where You™ come in.

They are asking for 600000 dollars in funding, and since yesterday, they have already reached nearly 200k at the time I am writing this. Among the stretch goals, we find things such as hiring Hitoshi Sakamoto, music composer of Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, and a number of other games. Also in the stretch goals, we find a PS Vita release, as well as a 3DS release.

So if you're a fan of SRPGs and/or any of these guys I mentioned, head over to Kickstarter and throw some coins at them!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm curious as to why the $20 and $30 pledge rewards are the exact same. Am I missing something?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

No idea. I want the soundtrack anyway so I'll pledge 50.

Oh, I know. The $20 reward is limited in supply, the $30 reward isn't.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Merged the two threads about this.

Looks pretty interesting!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

blah, didn't even think there was a thread already.

In either case, this should be on the front page.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    I wish there was some gameplay to preview. This might be some crappy iOS game with Matsuno's name pasted on
    From what I understand, the game will come out as a mobile title no matter what, as Vyk mentioned above. The $600k goal is to expand the concept to a beefier PC/Mac game of the quality we expect from a digital/indie title, which the mobile versions will then be a ported down version of. The stretch goals of getting it on Vita and 3DS are pretty far down the line.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

While they are, I have a feeling that if they sell well enough, they might make portaconsole ports of the game anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Possibly, but it would be a handheld port of an iOS/Android game rather than the larger PC/Mac game they want to make.

In any case, I second Mirage's motion to put this on the front page. Matsuno had such a large impact on Final Fantasy and Square while he was there, I think anyone visiting the site would (and should) be interested.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

No Bolivar. I mean if they reach the kickstarter goals but don't reach the Vita/3DS stretch, they might still do it if the PC, Mac Android and iOS versions earn them enough money. I mean if the game is good enough to earn lots of money on those platforms, and they have enough money to port it to 3DS and Vita and they think they'll earn money on doing it, why wouldn't they?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah I definitely think a successful pc/Mac version would lead to inevitable ports, at least on Vita. Let's try and make sure it reaches that 600k mark people!