Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Ys

Anyone play the Ys games? What are your thoughts on this series? I read a review for Memories of Celceta for Vita and it looks fun, but the only one I've ever played was one for SNES several years ago and I couldn't get into it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I like them. Some of them are pretty hard to "get into," though, especially the early ones. I'd direct a new player to the series to Ys: Origin.

Blog Entries

A lot of people dislike Ys IV on the SNES, and prefer the PC-Engine version, even though the remake of Ys IV was based on the SNES version.

Personally, I've only played the PC-Engine version of Ys I all the way through. I got decently far in Ys II, though. They're certainly very different from the newer games, so you might be more interested in the remakes and genuine newer entries.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I'm playing Ys II right now, having just finished Ys I (Steam "Chronicles" versions). It's different from any game I've played before, but I like it. It's fast-paced, gameplay- and exploration-driven, and the setting is interesting. The bump combat might turn some people off, and I'm glad that system isn't used in every game ever, but it's a fun change of pace for a while. The story is clichéd, but the game was made in 1987, so you can't expect a lot. I would probably play Ys just to ogle the map artwork and listen to the music.

Also http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gam...oks-1-2-a.html

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I bought the chronicles version too, gonna play through them soon. they look cool in an old school kind of way!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I had Ys: The Ark of Naphishtim for PS2 years ago. Very challenging and exciting isometric hack and slash game. Reminded me a lot of Crystalis for NES.

Blog Entries

I've played Ys Seven, and would seriously recommend it to anyone owning a PSP. I also played... I think it was Ys 2 or something, and didn't get all that far before I got bored. It was completely different.

Ys Seven, though, has gameplay that fits the PSP perfectly. It's fast and engaging, yet very simple. And then there is the boss battles.

Story is "okay" at best, the characters don't really stand out too much either, but are perfectly fine. Music is also decent/average overall.

The boss battles though? No other PSP game even comes close. No other handheld game that I've ever played has anything even close to boss battles in Ys Seven. There are two boss battles that I remember being pretty "meh" and the "optional bosses" aren't too impressive either, but pretty much all the rest of them are just perfect. They've pushed the limits of what can even be accomplished with the simple battle system that the game uses with some of them. A number of the mid-game bosses are comparable to (or better than) final bosses in other action RPGs when it comes to the complexity and variety in their move patterns and attacks and the sheer amount of fun in fighting them. Yes... I really, really, really love the boss battles in Ys Seven.

I also played the game at Hard, which probably made the boss battles even more epic though, because pretty much all of them were either comparable to Dark Souls bosses or worse, which made lots of the bosses insanely intense.

If Memories of Celceta is anything like Ys Seven, I'll probably get it as soon as I get a Vita.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I finally beat Ys II. I can't recommend I+II Chronicles highly enough. The developers clearly put a lot of effort and and a lot of heart into making these games, which is a wonderful thing to experience.

There's a part where you can dip a bucket into a well to drink from it. It had something like 20+ frames of awesome pixel-art animation of the bucket lowering, water rippling in the well as the bucket broke the surface, waves rippling out and bouncing off the sides of the well, complete with a ker-plorsh sound when the bucket went in and a different splash when it came out, and then little drops of water falling from the bucket as it rose. It would've been so easy to be lazy, throw in a dialog saying "You drank from the well. Mmm, refreshing!" and that's that. No, they went all-out. It probably took someone a week to animate just that little thing. Multiply that by the ENTIRE GAME.

I would just sit around staring at the maps, calling my wife over to look at the interior of a house or the reflections in the shiny floor, or rock out to the violin song that just started playing. "Wait a second... you can see Adol's breath because this map is cold!?!?!" Such high quality. I was blown away by every new thing I found in that game.

I'd appreciate the artistry even if they were sucky to play, but they were actually fun games. I had trepidations about bump-combat, but it stayed pretty fresh till the end, thanks to a good difficulty curve and really original boss designs, and the addition of magic and ranged attacks in II.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    The boss battles though? No other PSP game even comes close. No other handheld game that I've ever played has anything even close to boss battles in Ys Seven. There are two boss battles that I remember being pretty "meh" and the "optional bosses" aren't too impressive either, but pretty much all the rest of them are just perfect. They've pushed the limits of what can even be accomplished with the simple battle system that the game uses with some of them. A number of the mid-game bosses are comparable to (or better than) final bosses in other action RPGs when it comes to the complexity and variety in their move patterns and attacks and the sheer amount of fun in fighting them. Yes... I really, really, really love the boss battles in Ys Seven.

I also played the game at Hard, which probably made the boss battles even more epic though, because pretty much all of them were either comparable to Dark Souls bosses or worse, which made lots of the bosses insanely intense.
    Same is true of Ys I+II. I was amazed what they could pull off with a combat system that involves running around and bumping into stuff. One boss would be bullet-hell with multiple patterns and tells, and the boss teleporting around and dropping hazards everywhere and crap. The next would be one big boss with 4 minibosses orbiting him and all of them shooting at you. The next would be immune to damage except on certain frames, or whatever. I can't remember boss fights in other games ever being this exciting.

Boss fights definitely remind me of Crystalis, except way better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm also interested in the Vita game, it looks like a cool little colorful and fluid action RPG to have on the system.