Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have prior knowledge of the FF13 series before jumping in to lightning returns

Articles

Default Do you have prior knowledge of the FF13 series before jumping in to lightning returns

I have played FF13 and FF13-2 and got 100% on both (Well, almost, god damn treasure hunter achievement) but I am fairly caught up with the story. Will everyone who is picking up Lighting Returns have two games under their belt or are you just jumping right in?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I will admit, I haven't beaten either but I have played them boh. Just haven't.... Finished... I should get on top of that.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll say this: I don't think you will be any more confused having not played the first two games than anyone who has played them.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Actually I'm pretty up on the story having recently read all the back story for the universe and everything. So ya, I will be.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'll say this: I don't think you will be any more confused having not played the first two games than anyone who has played them.
    Pretty much this. The story so far is stupidly convoluted.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FF13's story was super hard to follow. I still don' truly know what happened in that game.

FF13-2 wasn't too bad. I never caught why you were going through the world resolving the paradoxes other than to see lightning in Valhalla or how the paradoxes formed, but at least the premise made sense.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luna Devika (Sargatanas)

I've played and beaten both, though not even close to 100% on them, but yeah like Del said it's not that i'm not totally confused by the story of Lighten Returns.

So this is love and See you space cowboy were made for me.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've played both XIII and XIII-2 multiple times. I did 100% of XIII-2, and did everything except the damn Treasure Hunter trophy on XIII. I'm very much looking forward to Lightning Returns. I just finished replaying both games again, so I think I'm as refreshed on the story so far right now as I'm ever going to be.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Observe the title, friends

I've played and beat both twice now since the release of the original.

For those who want more understanding of the story of XIII-2, I'd definitely encourage you to check out the datalog as well as the fragment descriptions in the main menu. They've got some story in them! You can learn about Caius' backstory as well as read some funny conversations between Mog and other monsters.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I haven't finished FFXIII-2 but I got the gist

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've played and beat both games. XIII-2 I just beat last summer, and I watched all the cutscenes from XIII just before playing XIII-2 again. I never really messed with the datalogs in XIII, but I never found what was going on too hard to follow. XIII-2 I did read through all of the fragment stuff. It had interesting tidbits but didn't add too terribly much to the story.

The point is I am pretty well equipped in my knowledge going into LR. The only thing I haven't experienced is the novel(s?) for the XIII series.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah, I've beaten both. I don't have a clue what is going on half the time anyway. Hi sister, there's a God and I guess I serve this God and the God made you all not crystals and I'm battling some dude at the end of time now. Now off you go, do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Yeah, I've beaten both. I don't have a clue what is going on half the time anyway. Hi sister, there's a God and I guess I serve this God and the God made you all not crystals and I'm battling some dude at the end of time now. Now off you go, do stuff.
    Go watch the 16-Bit story recap.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I've finished both (though I just barely made it through the final "bosses" because I was just so eager to find out what happened at the end of both) although I don't necessarily understand both ... I'm definitely going to take this weekend to go through the data logs!
    wheee!

:hello: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HELLO KITTY SMILEY :hello:

Bought XIII and XIII-2 in December. Beat XIII in about 64 hours (minus a lot of the side quests stuff on Gran Pulse). Currently finishing up XIII-2. I'm on Academia (4XX AF) and from what I can tell, it's probably close to the end of the game, so should be finished it right before LR comes out.