• Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That's pretty incredible, wow.

...Why was Lightning the Guardian of Souls in Valhalla? o_O

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Well, there goes my idea of making a thread to explain the story to all those people complaining about not understanding it.
    You could still do this ya know for all the real backstory. The 16-bit video is fun, but really explains nothing.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Music is 8bit, sound effects and graphics are 16bit. Maybe it's just me but that makes it lose all credibility
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Lmao. The fact that so many people are calling this the best thing Square Enix has done in a decade leads me to believe that people don't hate XIII series because it's trout. They hate it because they can't get over 16 bit. I PERSONALLY find that hilarious.

I love the homage, but no, it is not better than the XIII games. I'm sorry. Still a unique idea to try and get another nostalgia trip out of FF fans that are mad at their former masters.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Which masters? I have no brand loyality .

In fact, I am one of their masters. SE is a slave to our money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Which masters? I have no brand loyality .

In fact, I am one of their masters. SE is a slave to our money.
    But we're all too happy to give them our money for various releases. Perhaps we are slaves to their will. I know I am. SE tells me to jump, I bend over and take it from them before jumping.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I guess some of us have higher standards than others

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think there is something to say about the ease of injecting whimsy into the 16 bit titles veruses modern games. When you see a sprite jumping around or an amusing text bubble it is fun and enjoyable. That's not as easy to do with 3D models and voice acting. Hard, but not impossible, because Kingdom Hearts was able to do it. That was one of the main gripes I had with the XIII games. They took themselves way too seriously. Even with all the time travel nonsense and Mog in XIII-2, Caius was such a brood and Yuel was a smurfing downer.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Music is 8bit, sound effects and graphics are 16bit. Maybe it's just me but that makes it lose all credibility
    I don't think it makes them lose all credibility, but it definitely makes them lose at least a little bit. I think they might have just ripped the tracks from their chiptune albums. It's just a fun little video, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to spend the effort remaking the songs on the SNES soundchip.

Besides, I'm sure a lot of people probably didn't even notice.
    http://home.eyesonff.com/user/signature/sigpic39432_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I think there is something to say about the ease of injecting whimsy into the 16 bit titles veruses modern games. When you see a sprite jumping around or an amusing text bubble it is fun and enjoyable. That's not as easy to do with 3D models and voice acting. Hard, but not impossible, because Kingdom Hearts was able to do it. That was one of the main gripes I had with the XIII games. They took themselves way too seriously. Even with all the time travel nonsense and Mog in XIII-2, Caius was such a brood and Yuel was a smurfing downer.
    The style of visuals is more behind it than the visual fidelity itself.

You noted Kingdom Hearts. This is one example. Wind Waker is another. As is Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (in fact, Nintendo is great at this). The chibi-fied "LEGO" character models in Final Fantasy VII are yet another example.

None of these games had any problems with whimsy, because none of these games went for realistic graphics. You can have incredibly detailed graphics and still have a whimsical game. I don't think you can do the same with photorealistic graphics though. I mean, let's step away from games and look at TV shows. How many live action shows have managed to portray a fun and whimsical atmosphere well? Not many (and there have plenty that have tried it). I think it's an Uncanny Valley type disconnect. When the appearance gets to close to reality, you have to either ground the subject in reality, or have it come across as weird and creepy.

I would love to see Square take a more stylized approach to their aesthetics. We know they still can. They're making Kingdom Hearts, and they released Bravely Default. They just need to actually do so.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Makes sense. Unfortunately, FFXV won't be that.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

As far as FFXV, I'm hoping for at least Crisis Core levels of whimsy (nothing comically animated, but still lighthearted enough that not everything is done straight).

Anyway, this video was kinda cool, but seeing the plot of both games condensed has done nothing to improve my opinion on either of them. I laughed out loud when Lightning just fell into Valhalla.

Still, you could tell there was some great effort put into this, and I appreciate the though, Square.
    Returners Represent!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I thought this was fanmade (I just jumped right into the video!) until I read the thread. That's damn cool of Square to do that using FFVI assets. Really enjoyed it.

One of the only things by the company I've enjoyed for some years now. Good on them.