Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default What motivates you?

I've been analyzing myself on this subject lately because I'm trying to motivate myself to do things (like get in shape) and I was wondering what motivates others as well. I think it's interesting that things that can motivate one person can demotivate another.

For example, in regards to my weight loss, I've noticed how some people will put up posters or pictures of people who are where they want to be. I have a girl on my facebook who I used to go to school with who now enters body building competitions and she is always posting up women who are at her ideal physique and saying how she uses that for motivation.

I've noticed for me, doing that actually demotivates me. I get more sensitive to seeing thin, fit women when I'm making an effort to get that way myself and it makes me sad and uncomfortable to see them because it makes me feel like my goal is so far out of reach. What seems to motivate me is thinking of the short term goal as opposed to the long one. I'm trying to lose the weight I want by the end of the year and get physically fit within a year after that (since I know losing the weight and actually toning up and such don't always happen together). So to be motivated, I need to think about losing the 6 lbs that is my goal this month. Just 6 lbs. I'll be okay with 5. If I lose 5 lbs a month, I'll still have lost the weight I want to by the end of the year. So I just focus on this month and where I want to be by the end of the month. Having short term goals to focus on helps motivate me more than long term goals.

This applies to a lot more than weight obviously. I know some who will post up pictures of cars they want to encourage them to save up for it, etc.

What motivates you?

Money mostly, and the ability to use it to do things I love like travelling.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It kind of depends for me. Usually, it's having other people work with me to a common goal that motivates me. Without my fellow Education peeps, I never would have been able to handle the Education program at college. We kept striving hard together to succeed and helping each other with ideas and such. I tended to write poetry about our situation to share with my friends because it helped motivate them and it was somewhat a coping mechanism for me.

When it comes to exercise, it's always helpful to have other people doing it with me. I used to go running with my roommates every once in a while to help build the habit. I did do a lot of running by myself too as it became something I'd do to get out of the room, think about my problems, and listen to good music/a literary theory podcast. Running with others helped start the habit and made it more enjoyable, though.

With writing, I need to feel like I have people that will read my stuff. That's why the writing prompt thing is nice for me. We can all share our things and strive to improve our writing. When I feel like I don't have anyone to read my stuff or brainstorm with, the amount of writing I do seems to take a nosedive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The desire to create something and the satisfaction that comes when it's finished.

Blog Entries

Money shots.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A desperate need for approval and sometimes, once in a while, my own happiness.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Success motivates me!

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sex.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Bread.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the feeling of accomplishment when something is done. I'm a pretty visual person so seeing a result is also a good motivator for me.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    Bread.

MEAT

Just make a schedule and do it.

Make it so you lose something if you don't follow it (like seeing your favourite show or whatever).

hate

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

that ever encroaching sense of dread

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There's someone I really want to impress so that motivates me to stay active with things I would otherwise let fall by the wayside.

You can stay true to yourself while still trying to be more appealing as a person. A fact I wish I knew more in, let's say, high school.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ironic mustaches.