Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default FINAL FANTASY XV's Battle System Won't Be Based on Lightning Returns

In a recent interview with IGN Yoshinori Kitase, the producer of Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII, was quizzed about what fans can expect from the hotly anticipated FINAL FANTASY XV in regards to the battle system. Rumors had been circulating that the battle system for FFXV would be similar to that seen in Lightning Returns.

Kitase was quick to dismiss these rumors though:

The two things that we put great emphasis on when designing the battle systems for all games in the FINAL FANTASY series are that the character’s personalities are expressed through them and that there is a deep and satisfying strategic element. Apart from that we strive not to be bound by any particular conventions and try to absorb all possibilities in order to evolve new systems. FINAL FANTASY XV is in no way a direct extension of Lightning Returns and will no doubt introduce completely new battles with new surprises of their own.
    So, Square Enix remain as vague as ever when it comes to FINAL FANTASY XV, but at least we now this will be a brand new battle system to look forward too. The question remains though, just how long will we be waiting?

[Source: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Devs Answer Your Questions - IGN ]

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I never expected it to.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think they just felt they needed to make it clear since xv used to be versus XIII and LR is just coming out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Seeing how poorly receive XIII is overall they should be trying to separate this game from it as much as possible.

My initial response to this is the same as every other announcement that they make: "...Okay Square Enix. Whatever..."

Didn't we already know this?

As for those of you who are still "waiting" for this game, my suggestion is to just stop waiting. Just stop now. Let it show up one day. The waiting is only going to make this game a let down when you finally play it~

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Fun fact

Teasers for FFXII, FFXIII, and FFXV were shown at E3 2006.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Did anybody really thing Final Fantasy Duke Nukem Forever Versus XIII XV would actually use the same battle system. It looked more likely to draw inspiration from Kingdom Hearts from what I saw.

I'm simply unimpressed with how you've mistreated us in these past eight years Square Enix.

Even Hironobu Sakaguchi has hinted at his dissatisfaction with what the company has been producing. I can't tell if they just don't care any more, or if they're really trying and just don't get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Square Enix View Post
    Final Fantasy XV's battle system is different because it's different. NOW GIVE US YOUR MONEY.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I don't know why anyone would have thought it would be like LR. I mean, LR is built around controlling a single character, and we've already seen videos of XV's battle system in action.

I just hope the XV battle system is a little less like KH than it looks like in the trailers we've seen so far. I like KH's battle system okay, but I prefer every FF battle system to it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm also worried it will be too much like KH. Nomura is at the helm, and this game was originally supposed to be a FF spinoff rather than a main entry, which would allow them to take more liberties with the battle system. I'm very interested in seeing more of it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum