Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Final Fantasy II

Just started this up again. I've never invested above the bare minimum before so is there any tips or tricks I should know about to increase my gaming experience?

I'm playing the PSP version and I just left the first town. I'm giving Firion axes and knives, and so far Thunder magic, I have Maria as an archer who uses mostly Black Magic and I have Gus using two swords and he has cure and Fire.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Remember that white and black magic are governed by two seperate stats, so it's good to have someone who will have just white magic, so that they don't waste precious MP on mind instead of spirit.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Having a bow equipped kills your magic power, even though there is nowhere in the game where it actually gives you that information.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, that's odd

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I don't consider having hidden stats that work in completely un-intuitive ways odd for an NES RPG.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean it's odd that they don't mention it anywhere :P

I really had no idea. And now my heart is broken because I love Black Mage Archers

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I basically got a kickarse party by only performing the roles that were governed for them. Firion was like my red mage, but only partially. I healed and attacked with him. Maria black mage all the way. Gus = warrior. And when (SPOILER)Leon joins your party, make him dragoon. I also used a heck of a lot of items and used the Blood Sword for big-time bosses. Cheap, I know. But with cheap leveling system comes cheap ways to end the game easy.
    Last edited by Omni-Odin; 01-31-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

Attack your self to boost hp lvl, self mutilation at its best

I know it's not your first time playing this game, I'm going to write this as if it is. That's only because it may help if there's a few things you didn't notice before.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir helix View Post
    Attack your self to boost hp lvl, self mutilation at its best
    Sorry, this is actually bad advise. Well, maybe not bad, just unnecessary. You don't need to hurt yourself to boost your HP stats; they will grow as you progress through the game. While this game introduced rows, keep everyone in the front row. You WANT to be hit! People like to put Maria in the back row, but because that significantly decreases her chance of being struck by goblins or other vanilla beginner enemies, she will probably be far behind in HP when the real monsters come. The only time I place mages in the back row is for tough boss fights.

MP is the hardest thing to grind for. I don't know about the PSP version, can you turn auto-targeting off? If an enemy dies before a character has a chance to attack a targeted enemy, the character will automatically switch to another target. If you turn this off, the character will attack the air and have no effect. This prolongs battles and, since gaining MP is determined by how much you use per battle, you will gain MP more often. This helps gaining weapon and magic levels, too.

Lastly, beginners like to load their characters down with armour, especially mages. This is a no-no. Remember what people said above about hidden stat penalties (like the bow)? Most armour has this effect on MP. If you find yourself wondering why magic sucks in this game, travel light and un-equip weapons. Your mage will suddenly be powerful again. Also, most armour weighs down your characters decreasing your evade. I like evade. You want to get hit, but this game also has a ridiculously high encounter rate. I think this gives the game a bit of balance.

Shields are always good. They boost your evade, which is nice. I always upgrade my shield. But for the rest, if you must have armour, equip light armour. Cloth and Plates/Cuirass (depending on the translation) are usually good. Chain mail or just anything that sounds like it would weigh a ton, ignore. In my experience, most of the armour in this game hinders your party rather than helps.

That's how I play it, anyway. Others will have their own styles, but I found the HCBailly's method (YouTuber) to be very beneficial.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Only thing I can remember to tell you to watch out for is not wander off too far since there are areas you're not supposed to go to next with high level beasts that'll kick your butt if you go there.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Give Maria spears and watch her murder the entire universe.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I cheated, myself. Blasphemy! You say...eh. I just wanted to hear the music.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So far I think I'm doing pretty well. I learned about the not wandering too far a while ago :P.

The monsters are hitting me for zero and there stats seem to be okay. I'm not that far yet because MAGIC IS SO EXPENSIVE so I'm stuck grinding until I get all the monies for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    So far I think I'm doing pretty well. I learned about the not wandering too far a while ago :P.

The monsters are hitting me for zero and there stats seem to be okay. I'm not that far yet because MAGIC IS SO EXPENSIVE so I'm stuck grinding until I get all the monies for it.
    Find some Mage Ogres or Sorcerers just north of Phin (Fynn?). They drop spellbooks you can sell for a pretty penny, things like Sleep and Berserk.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Did you wander around Fynn aimlessly for a while trying to figure out where you were supposed to go?

I talked to the knight. That was a mistake.