Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Typing

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Typing is definitely a valuable job skill, when you have other skills to supplement it. You may not be able to be hired as a medical record transcriptionist without medical record knowledge, but you won't be hired as one without a good typing ability, either.

I found a fun site that gives you snippets and records your speed over time: Typing Test - Typing Test (Key Hero)

I get in the 90s with qwerty and in the 20s with colemak. I think I'll switch back to colemak for the rest of the night now!

I learned to type fast by playing trivia on IRC. I gave that all up and forced myself to learn homerow qwerty in middle school (god that's hard to spell when you aren't using it!) and gained at least 20 wpm. My best ever time was 145.

The hardest thing about learning another layout is that you are rendering yourself somewhat mute. I think slower so my hands can keep up, and I forget my train of thought by the time I get to it.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah playing trivia certainly helps speed up your typing ability. My typing speed on this laptop is severely hampered by the lack of a d key so I'm having to constantly crtl v to paste the saved d I have. Pain the smurfing ass to then switch back to having a d key again

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hit about 60 wpm... but I type with only my index fingers and that is something that has weirded out nearly every single computer-savvy friend I have (the ones that arent weirded out dont know).
    I could probably hit some awesome WPM if I typed like a normal person.... but I've tried on numerous occasions and it just hurts my brain. I've gotten so used to using only my index fingers to type that its second nature to me.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Blog Entries

I think I hover around the 50-60 rpm mark, but I'm not proud of my accuracy. I'm also slowed down by the my inability to use my thumbs to hit the space bar, I always use my index fingers.